[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Business email etiquette

whomper

I got an email friday that really steamed me up. The email was from Express which is a major account of mine. The news was good. They adopted one of my styles for their holiday line. They also adopted a style for holiday from one of my competitors which is also fine. The woman I deal with is here in NY. The email had an offsore factory attached that will produce this garment for them. My problem with the email is that she addressed it to me and my competitor and put both of us on the same email. She included all of my pricing details and style #s as well. I found it very unprofessional and just flat out lazy. I am actually friends with the guy at the competing company and he emailed me that he thought it was ridiculous that she did that. You cant call the woman out on this because she can honestly find this somewhere else if she really wanted too. You basically have to look the other way. Its not a major deal and shouldnt cause hugh harm but I found it pretty weak. A friend of mine just went to work for thsi competing company so immediately the boss asked him what that style is and what does it look like . This guy is a hugh bottomfeeder and can easily try and swipe my pattern. I have a good enough relationship with Express that this wont happen but why offer my competitor my info. Anyway..Vent over. We arent really competing as we both should get business on these items so it wasnt a clever ploy on her part. It was just laziness.

was it that she was lazy, or rather ignorant to how one's style (uniqueness) impacts one's sales/success?

I think just laziness. I have known this woman for over 10 years and was surprised she did this. I am pretty close to her but she is very bitchy when confronted. I have to pick my spots. I have had major back and forths with her in the past in regards to price or testing etc ..heated exchanges. You never can avoid them when dealing with that company and there will be some with these orders no doubt. When I answered the mill I removed the other guy and he did the same so it pretty much ended there. She has never done this before. When I talked to the other guy he was surprised as well. If it happens again I would have to address it but this go around I am gonna let it slide as an isolated incident.

Edited by whomper

i think you owe it to yourself to drop her a line saying why what she did could hurt you and asking her to please be mindful of it in the future. it probably just didn't cross her mind, but it sounds like you have a good enough business relationship that she won't take it the wrong way or whatever.

i think you owe it to yourself to drop her a line saying why what she did could hurt you and asking her to please be mindful of it in the future. it probably just didn't cross her mind, but it sounds like you have a good enough business relationship that she won't take it the wrong way or whatever.

Yep. Just be nice about it, you don't want it to cost you her business.

i believe you have to email her separately and explain that you found her method uncomfortable and ask if its possible for her to avoid doing this in the future

my two cents

Nope....don't address improper e-mail etiquette through an e-mail. One of my pet peeves at work is people e-mailing all the time and not talking.

Yup....bring it up verbally....possibly at the end of a unrelated future conversation

I think just laziness. I have known this woman for over 10 years and was surprised she did this. I am pretty close to her but she is very bitchy when confronted. I have to pick my spots. I have had major back and forths with her in the past in regards to price or testing etc ..heated exchanges. You never can avoid them when dealing with that company and there will be some with these orders no doubt. When I answered the mill I removed the other guy and he did the same so it pretty much ended there. She has never done this before. When I talked to the other guy he was surprised as well. If it happens again I would have to address it but this go around I am gonna let it slide as an isolated incident.

Probably a good move but file the original for future reference in case it does occur again.

Nope....don't address improper e-mail etiquette through an e-mail. One of my pet peeves at work is people e-mailing all the time and not talking.

Yup....bring it up verbally....possibly at the end of a unrelated future conversation

disagree ..would rather have in email so its documented

but either way it would be prudent to contact her to advise that its not comfortable to receive such emails

disagree ..would rather have in email so its documented

I kind of got the feeling that Whomper wanted to address the problem in the best way possible...if it comes up in conversation rather than through an e-mail it might ruffle a lot less feathers. He can still document the conversation through an internal memo if he deems necessary.

you didn't get the memo, did ya? your locker was clean out after the season and a box was left ouside of the facilities.... an "aquaintance" of yours named rupaul signed for it.

i knew it was too good to last

Rupaul will be a great addition to your team ..especially in the locker room :wacko:

I kind of got the feeling that Whomper wanted to address the problem in the best way possible...if it comes up in conversation rather than through an e-mail it might ruffle a lot less feathers. He can still document the conversation through an internal memo if he deems necessary.

I can see both sides to this discussion. The guy who I consider my mentor as a salesperson is an 80 year old self made millionaire. Awesome guy. He has since retired. He would say dead on what you said Bush. He always used to say people will say a lot less and carry on a lot less if you do things in person as opposed to the phone. He never embraced or cared to learn or pay attention to email though so Isles point of leaving a documented paper trail would be lost on him. Our business is fiercly competitive right now..Worse then it has ever been so I am going to let this one slide unless it happens again. Since she has only done it once in all the time I have known her I am going to chalk it up as isolated..One more time and a pattern has developed that needs to be stopped.

Edited by whomper

Here is your reply:

Ah, the tactful route as to not ruffle any feathers...I like it.

On second thought, since Whomp stated that this lady could take her business anywhere, and certainly doesn't want to do ANYTHING to potentially put her on the spot/in a defensive mode, the best approach might be to just casually mention to her that it is "bad form" to include your pricing in an email that your competitors will also be viewing.

What i'd do:

I'd call her and thank her generously for her business, letting her know that in today's tough business climate, it is long-time customers like her that Whomp can rely on going forward. At that point, she should be plenty full of herself, after basking for several minutes in Whomp's praise. it is now that i would casually say" Hey, Mrs. so-and-so, I was hoping you could do me a big favor in the future. I'm not sure if you realized it or not, but my pricing was incldued in the email that you sent. If there is any way in future correspondance that this could be omitted, it would mean a lot to me, as it is compnay-sensitive info.".

And I would leave it at that forever.