[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Juno

darin3

Apologize if already posted/discussed, but me and the wife (and a friend) went to see Juno last night. I was, by and large, impressed and entertained, as I expected to be based on the reviews, etc. (it got a 93% approval rating on RottenTomatoes.com).

Very funny in spots, and much like "quirky, black" comedies like Napoleon Dynamite and even Garden State (which were also set in non-traditional locales), there was a twinge of "real life" and poignancy.

SPOILER:

The only plot flaw I saw (or perhaps simply made me uneasy) was the "relationship" between Juno and Mark... or at least the very end where Mark seemed to want to get his groove on with a very pregnant Juno. I think it would have had the same effectiveness if he simply confided in Juno that he was planning on leaving his wife. The whole dancing thing with him taking her arms to put around him was a bit much, IMO.

I liked it, but my major problem with it was that everyone was too "cool and clever" via their dialogue. And if the girl was so smart, why'd she let herself get preggo in the first place. Your spoiler denotes the only real tension in the film, whereas I would expect at least one of the parents to have had a bird over the situation, even if for 30 seconds.

• 1 month later...
Little did I know that when we were watching this movie, we were also living it. We found out less than a month later that my son is going to be a father. He's out of school but she isn't. She's very much like Juno.

I found out I was Jason Bateman while I was watching the movie. :wacko:

I liked it, but my major problem with it was that everyone was too "cool and clever" via their dialogue.

I'm pretty sure she was the same girl in that movie "Candy" where she played a vengeful sex abuse victim? The same "cool and clever" facade made that movie unbelievable and pretty hard to watch. I do plan on watching Juno though.

Edited by bushwacked

I liked it, but my major problem with it was that everyone was too "cool and clever" via their dialogue. And if the girl was so smart, why'd she let herself get preggo in the first place. Your spoiler denotes the only real tension in the film, whereas I would expect at least one of the parents to have had a bird over the situation, even if for 30 seconds.

These are my thoughts exactly. Not only did a lot of the dialogue bug me (teenagers don't talk like that), but, like you said, she gets pregnant and everyone acts like they're fine.

Overall the movie was OK, but I still don't see how it won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

I've seen it a couple times now on random JetBlue flights now and the scene where Juno tells her parents that she's prego is so frickin funny.

"I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid in the nuts......"

The father's part/acting job seems to be a bit under-rated.

I've seen it a couple times now on random JetBlue flights now and the scene where Juno tells her parents that she's prego is so frickin funny.

"I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid in the nuts......"

The father's part/acting job seems to be a bit under-rated.

Oh, I'm sorry. But the correct phrase was, "I'm gonna punch that Bleeker kid in the weiner." Weiner was the word we were looking for.

Just teasin'. Good scene, good movie. My only hang up was getting over the dad's previous role as the nazi-buttrapist (Schillenger) from HBO's "Oz." Though the dancing scene between Jason Batetmen's character and Juno did make me squirm. But if that was the film maker's intent, then mission accomplished.

Edited by yo mama

You guys have to stop. You're getting your ghey on me. I can't believe you'd actually admit to seeing this if you're a man over 22, and then only to try and get in a chick's pants. I saw the previews when we saw the Bank Job, and you know darn good and well teenagers don't talk that way. Sheesh...

• 3 weeks later...