[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Resume question

Ramhock

He has a friend who "advises" all the friends on their resumes, who educated him to include his GPA on his said document.

My son has an Economics degree from the University of Delaware, a fine institution. But due to a slight case of ADD and being f'n lazy, his overall GPA = 2.2 with a 2.5 in his major.

Would he be better off leaving these #s off or is it the case where all recent college grads should include them?

He has a friend who "advises" all the friends on their resumes, who educated him to include his GPA on his said document.

My son has an Economics degree from the University of Delaware, a fine institution. But due to a slight case of ADD and being f'n lazy, his overall GPA = 2.2 with a 2.5 in his major.

Would he be better off leaving these #s off or is it the case where all recent college grads should include them?

Definitely leave it off.

Emphasize activities, skills, etc..

Why not just say:

Activities and Interests:

• Attention Defecit Disorder

• Laziness

Maybe it's just me but if I'm hiring a college grad and it involves statistics I definitely want to know how he did in college. Now, if it was something like advertising then I wouldn't give 2 squirts about his GPA and would focus more on his college internships.

Then again, what do I know. :wacko:

Maybe it's just me but if I'm hiring a college grad and it involves statistics I definitely want to know how he did in college. Now, if it was something like advertising then I wouldn't give 2 squirts about his GPA and would focus more on his college internships.

Then again, what do I know. :wacko:

If they want to know, they'll ask. Including them, when they're not stellar, might cause him to not even get the interview.

2.2 GPA is pretty sucky. However, some schools bust the kids' balls and everyone gets a low GPA. So if his 2.2 GPA put him in say the top 25% of his class, then I'd put that down. But if that isn't the case, then I'd say leave it off. Assuming he's still got a year or two left of school he needs to: (1) get that GPA up; and (2) get some internships or work experience that he can emphasize after graduation. (I say this from personal experience).

And if all else fails, he can always go to law school.

Edited by yo mama

If they want to know, they'll ask. Including them, when they're not stellar, might cause him to not even get the interview.

HR depts get flooded with resumes and usually when I send out position requests there's a certain criteria that they must meet first. If I ask for a GPA then his resume will immediately get tossed because it's not on there.

Either way IMO, he's at a disadvantage because of the low GPA and also not putting it on his resume.

Edited by twiley

HR depts get flooded with resumes and usually when I send out position requests there's a certain criteria that they must meet first. If I ask for a GPA then his resume will immediately get tossed because it's not on there.

Either way IMO, he's at a disadvantage because of the low GPA and also not putting it on his resume.

well, if an employer has some sort of GPA threshold they're looking for, 2.2 is probably going to be on the wrong side of it. the bottom line is he gains nothing by putting it on there. like yo mama said, if there's some way to put a positive emphasis on it (like top quarter of his class), do that.

Definitely leave it off... focus that document on the highlights, not his shortcomings.

Very good posting

2.2 GPA is pretty sucky. However, some schools bust the kids' balls and everyone gets a low GPA. So if his 2.2 GPA put him in say the top 25% of his class, then I'd put that down. But if that isn't the case, then I'd say leave it off. Assuming he's still got a year or two left of school he needs to: (1) get that GPA up; and (2) get some internships or work experience that he can emphasize after graduation. (I say this from personal experience).

And if all else fails, he can always go to law school.

if 2.2 is in the top 25% then put TOP 25% not 2.2...if you put 2.2 and its the top 5% it wont matter because the HR person is gonna ASSume it sucks...

Very good posting

if 2.2 is in the top 25% then put TOP 25% not 2.2...if you put 2.2 and its the top 5% it wont matter because the HR person is gonna ASSume it sucks...

That's what I meant: put top X%, if that's more impressive sounding.

Definitely leave it off... focus that document on the highlights, not his shortcomings.

Yup.

If no experience, perhaps highlight a few classes that he did well in.

Preferably with teachers that would put in a good word for him as a reference.

No one really looks at GPA when hiring.

Not true. I know of at least a couple of companies (Merck is one of them) that specifically ask for it because they use it as an initial screen. Some of them will throw your resume in the trash if the number is less than 3.5.

If your son had a higher GPA towards the end of college, he might want to highlight that. As was said earlier, highlight the positives and hide the negatives.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I used my major GPA (3.1) instead of my overall GPA (2.9) which helped a little.

Not true. I know of at least a couple of companies (Merck is one of them) that specifically ask for it because they use it as an initial screen. Some of them will throw your resume in the trash if the number is less than 3.5.

That's what killed me when I applied to PWC out of college. :wacko: