[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bootsie update

TimC

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim - your loss and post are particularly poignant as I play with my black lab Loosie today. Although only 9, she's very gray around the muzzle and sports all white socks on each foot. Her day will come all too quickly.

Sometimes I think it would be better if our canine friends lived 75 years or so, so chances would be we'd only have to experience one loss. But if that were true, we'd not likely know so many wonderful dogs throughout our lives.

For Bootsie, Chalkie, Sadie Mae, Tawnee, Kody and all the rest... I :wacko: to the magnificent animals you were and comfort and happiness you brought into our lives.

For Bootsie, Chalkie, Sadie Mae, Tawnee, Kody and all the rest... I :wacko: to the magnificent animals you were and comfort and happiness you brought into our lives.

If I may add to the list:

Cissy, Hershey, and Nilly. 3 totally different dogs but they loved us and we loved them.

I think they'll all be rompin' w/ all the dogs mentioned.

We have Miley now, and dammit if I don't see a piece of every dog I ever had in her. She's loving, fierce, a fighter, a demon, and just a cool dog.

Enjoy!!

Thanks all.

Chalkie and Bootsie had been in my life for 15 years. They were unusually good dogs from the day I got them from the pound at 6 weeks old. I had picked up Bootsie first and a few days later went back for her sister, Chalkie. I wanted to get Chalkie first but she was so scared and shy that we couldn't get her out of the cage. Bootsie was in the cage next to her and jumped out into my arms. I wanted her to have a friend to play with while I was at work all day so went back for Chalkie. We dragged her out the cage and she rode home with me squeezed in between the passenger seat and the door scared to death. The pounds said they were thankful I came for Chalkie today because you-know-why...and I think Chalkie knew I'd saved her. When she saw Bootsie, she knew it was okay. Bootsie couldn't do stairs until Chalkie taught her how.

I never had to discipline them or get them to pay attention to me. They hung on every word I said and constantly stared at you with those soft gentle brown lab eyes just knowing you were always there for them too. This morning was the first time in 15 years I had my usual weekday bowl of cereal and they didn't drink the leftover milk. Saturday night was the first night in 15 years that one of them didn't get up in the bed with me for 30 minutes to a few hours. Chalkie hardly ever made any noise at all, but the house seemed so quiet.

The past week I had to carry her up and down the stairs to go to the bathroom because her hips went quickly. She could still get around on a flat surface, but not well. I couldn't let her suffer. She might've had a few more weeks in her but she lived life to the fullest.

The hardest part when I put Bootsie down 2 years ago was taking her down there. Tina, thankfully, took Chalkie to the vet for me. I couldn't physically do it. I had said my goodbyes for the past couple of weeks.

I told her she'd be with Bootsie again and I'd be joining them in a blink of an eye. It helps to have the new dog, Roxie, around. She knows something is up and kept going to the corner of the master bedroom where Chalkie's bed was and it's now empty and cleaned up.

I never had to discipline them or get them to pay attention to me. They hung on every word I said and constantly stared at you with those soft gentle brown lab eyes just knowing you were always there for them too. This morning was the first time in 15 years I had my usual weekday bowl of cereal and they didn't drink the leftover milk. Saturday night was the first night in 15 years that one of them didn't get up in the bed with me for 30 minutes to a few hours. Chalkie hardly ever made any noise at all, but the house seemed so quiet.

Man, it's been an emotional few months for me and this was all it took for the waterworks this morning.

I simply cannot fathom what it will be like without my black lab, Polly.

Feel peace in the fact that Bootsie and Chalkie are runnin' around doggie heaven chasing various critters.