[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smoking is good for you

bushwacked

Smokers are at least doing their bit to slow down the runaway obesity epidemic that is sweeping through the western world. "In many studies, you often find smokers are slimmer. We've certainly seen it in our studies," says Jodi Flaws at the University of Maryland school of medicine. "Some people think it's due to certain chemicals in cigarettes somehow making them burn more calories, but others believe it suppresses appetite. It may well be both.

Scientists have also found evidence that smoking might, in some circumstances, help prevent the onset of various dementias. Many dementias go hand-in-hand with a loss of chemical receptors in the brain that just happen to be stimulated by nicotine. Smoking seems to bolster these receptors, and smokers have more of them.

Skwaaaak skwaaaaak...blah blah hysteria hysteria ....no one is intelligent like me, you've been fooled by the media.

:D:wacko::lol::D:brew::Dyawn::D:)

Edited by bushwacked

Flicking your cig out the window at someone still sporting their "Gore '00" or "Kerry '04" bumper sticker is very therapeutic.

I throw molotov cocktails at any car with a "W" sticker. Figure they had trouble removing it so I'm glad to assist.

Well....I have put on 20 lbs since i quit smoking. :D
+1

Actually might be 25 now.

Are you guys eating more after quiting, like as a nervous habit?

it's an oral fixation. it's either eat more food or suck more cawk.

I haven't experienced any significant weight gain since I quit smoking a few years back.

:D:wacko:

The first thing is that since your taste buds aren't coated with tar, you can actually taste food again. I think it's mostly because people enjoy their meals more and hence eat more after they quit smoking.

I've lost 29 lbs since I quit. I just cut out beer, soda, and anything else unhealthy. I haven't had a burger and fries since October :wacko: Pretty much Chicken and Pork and veggie diet.

It's been pretty painful eating healthy to be honest, but being fat for 5 years when I was always know as the skinny guy really motivated me to change my life around. I dont want my boys to remember me being fat or smoking.

I've lost 29 lbs since I quit. I just cut out beer, soda, and anything else unhealthy. I haven't had a burger and fries since October :wacko: Pretty much Chicken and Pork and veggie diet.

It's been pretty painful eating healthy to be honest, but being fat for 5 years when I was always know as the skinny guy really motivated me to change my life around. I dont want my boys to remember me being fat or smoking.

And really, how uncomfortable were you when you had those extra pounds. Now, my 6'5 frame can hide some weight pretty good, but when I was fairly soft in the middle, going up a flight of stairs or simply tying my shoes, was just a little bit too much of a hassle than it should have been. That didn't last long so I am fairly conscious of my weight from a week to week, and sometimes even a day to day basis depending on how much I eat or drink booze in a smaller period of time.

Good for you! I wish I had your discipline.

I quit smoking on March 7 - haven't noticed a weight gain but I have been over-weight for some years now (6'0 - 235). I can't imagine giving up all of my vices (good food etc...). I'd like to be healthy as I was as a yute but I just don't see it. You only live once. Maybe one of these days I will get in shape again, we'll see.

For those of you that were able to quit... what method did you use? Cold Turkey, the patch, prescription,etc? I ask because I've attempted different methods in the past and have failed! :wacko: I'm looking to try and quite again based on the ideology that "those who quit trying, will never succeed". And no, sucking cawk as a substitute is not an option!

Seriously, any insight that might help me in my cause would be greatly appreciated.

For those of you that were able to quit... what method did you use? Cold Turkey, the patch, prescription,etc? I ask because I've attempted different methods in the past and have failed! :wacko: I'm looking to try and quite again based on the ideology that "those who quit trying, will never succeed". And no, sucking cawk as a substitute is not an option!

Seriously, any insight that might help me in my cause would be greatly appreciated.

I had kids.

I tried to quit countless times before that, and with various methods. But it wasn't until I had kids that I actually *wanted* to quit. I still have a cigar every now and then, though.

I had kids.

I tried to quit countless times before that, and with various methods. But it wasn't until I had kids that I actually *wanted* to quit. I still have a cigar every now and then, though.

That's it right there. It all comes down to desire. I quit cold turkey about 20 years ago now after smoking for about 10. I was good for 1/2 a pack a day so I wasn't terribly bad but it was a constant. I tried a bunch of times to quit but then decided that I really didn't want to smoke anymore. It suddenly became very easy to say no. From my experience, it was all about the proper frame of mind and strength of will. YMMV.

For those of you that were able to quit... what method did you use? Cold Turkey, the patch, prescription,etc? I ask because I've attempted different methods in the past and have failed! :D I'm looking to try and quite again based on the ideology that "those who quit trying, will never succeed". And no, sucking cawk as a substitute is not an option!

For me....it was a car accident, 3 weeks in the hospital hooked up to a morphine drip. Piece of cake, having a smoke rarely crossed my mind. :wacko:

Regarding the weight gain, to be honest, not smoking didn't have anything to do with me putting on the pounds. I actually lost 20 lbs while in the hospital. But I spent the next 5 months recuperating living with my parents. Mom's home cooked meals fattened me up pretty quick. :D I was 215 lbs. Dropped to 195 while in the hospital. A few weeks ago I hit the 240 mark. Since the accident my ability to walk very far or very long has been limited, so taking the lbs back off to return to my normal weight hasn't happened yet. That's slowly coming around though. Made some changes in my diet a few weeks ago, have lost 5 lbs since then and with the return of summer about here, hope to start losing more soon...

Edited by BillyBalata

I quit for 6 years after going cold turkey.

Then I started again because I'm an idiot.

This time I just quit by using Zyban (Wellbutrin). It's not as trendy as Chantix right now, but also carries less risk of side-effects. After taking it for 2 weeks, I realized that if I missed usual smoke times, I didn't even realize it. So, the next day I just didn't smoke all day. I had one at night out of habit rather than withdrawl. The next day I had a half. The next day I had none.

Withdrawl from cold turkey was hard.

Withdrawl on Wellbutrin was non-existent.

Big fan.

For me....it was a car accident, 3 weeks in the hospital hooked up to a morphine drip. Piece of cake, having a smoke rarely crossed my mind. :wacko:

Regarding the weight gain, to be honest, not smoking didn't have anything to do with me putting on the pounds. I actually lost 20 lbs while in the hospital. But I spent the next 5 months recuperating living with my parents. Mom's home cooked meals fattened me up pretty quick. :D I was 215 lbs. Dropped to 195 while in the hospital. A few weeks ago I hit the 240 mark. Since the accident my ability to walk very far or very long has been limited, so taking the lbs back off to return to my normal weight hasn't happened yet. That's slowly coming around though. Made some changes in my diet a few weeks ago, have lost 5 lbs since then and with the return of summer about here, hope to start losing more soon...

So...all I have to do is go out and get in a horrific car accident, then ask for a morphine drip!!! Easy enough. No, seriously, sorry to hear about your tragic event. I appreciate those of you willing to put forth your thoughts on the topic. As many of you know, it is a pretty hard and serious thing to accomplish... and I commend all of you for your ability to do it. I haven't set a date yet, but will take your advice when that day comes (which will be soon).