[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad shoots son....thought he was a Turkey? Sad..son died.

TheShiznit

Well it did untilt he likes of TimC came along and started calling all hunters dumbasses :wacko:

Hawt Chick, I think I see what the situation is. I posted awhile back a thread that said I let loose my two black labs to go after the gang of turkeys we had roaming on the field and those turkeys stood up to my dogs and one dog came back limping. Sure, she's old and not as spry as she used to be and greying and balding like her Daddy. But I see what the deal is now. We have badass turkeys compared to your Kansas City chickens you guys claim to hunt.

Out here on the East Coast, we have gangs of 5-8 turkeys coming at you wearing leather jackets and snapping their little 3-toes slowly and rhythmically. That kind of thing will turn you whiter than you already are. Big, black turkeys too. I know you only see black people when you attend sporting events out there in the Mdwest. Anyways, these things will come up to you, grab yer gun out yer hand and choke you like your Chiefs playoff hopes every year. Then they start to gang rape you. You ever had a turkey dick? Let me tell you that the first 45 minutes is extremely unpleasant. The next 3 hours becomes somewhat enjoyable and 6 hours later, you're just hoping they call you in the morning.

You definitely don't bring yer little kids on a turkey hunt out East. They will kill you like we did Tupac. So, take yer can opener and spin that thing up and watch the animals coming running while you and little Junior pop a cap in dat ass and you call yourself a hunter. You come out here to Virginny and let a turkey shove it's little turkey dick in ya and see if you still consider yerself a man. I think you'll go home crying to yer Mama with a pocketful of turkey phone numbers and a false sense that they'll actually be calling yer pansy Kansas City ass.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where it hunting gets wierd for me. I'm not anti hunting and have killed plenty of deer (20 years ago), but this is what I don't understand. You've stocked the freezer and now you set out to slay the most magnificant specimen in the herd because its fun, and you want to put antlers on your wall. I don't get it. Wouldn't you just rather watch him for a while and let him pass along the genes ? :wacko:

Every deer I harvest gets eaten. A couple of does will get us through. A couple of does and a buck gets us through comfortably and allows me to share with numerous acquantainces that are continueally asking for deer meat. In addition, I brain tan the hides from my deer into buckskin, make powder measures and knife handles out of the antlers, sometimes render the fat for tallow, and have used the sinew and bones for various projects.

If I stopped hunting after I filled my doe tags, I would manage to get out for a day or two tops. That's cool if you don't agree with my love of the challenge of harvesting the "most magnificant specimen in the herd", but I'm not going to apologize for it.

Also, I saw this guy on TV recently hunting "long distance". I'm talkin' high tech long range marksmenship equipment, and killing big bucks half mile away just for fun. Couldn't he just use a target? It's just wierd to me.

This is not my cup of tea. I have friends that are nuts about the high tech stuff. I, on the other hand, have gone soley to hunting with replica muzzleloaders using patched round balls (ala Jeremiah Johnson), which limits my effective shooting range to 100 yards.

Every deer I harvest gets eaten. A couple of does will get us through. A couple of does and a buck gets us through comfortably and allows me to share with numerous acquantainces that are continueally asking for deer meat. In addition, I brain tan the hides from my deer into buckskin, make powder measures and knife handles out of the antlers, sometimes render the fat for tallow, and have used the sinew and bones for various projects.

This actually sounds pretty cool

If I stopped hunting after I filled my doe tags, I would manage to get out for a day or two tops. That's cool if you don't agree with my love of the challenge of harvesting the "most magnificant specimen in the herd", but I'm not going to apologize for it.

I wouldn't expect you too.

This is not my cup of tea. I have friends that are nuts about the high tech stuff. I, on the other hand, have gone soley to hunting with replica muzzleloaders using patched round balls (ala Jeremiah Johnson), which limits my effective shooting range to 100 yards.

Hawt Chick, I think I see what the situation is. I posted awhile back a thread that said I let loose my two black labs to go after the gang of turkeys we had roaming on the field and those turkeys stood up to my dogs and one dog came back limping. Sure, she's old and not as spry as she used to be and greying and balding like her Daddy. But I see what the deal is now. We have badass turkeys compared to your Kansas City chickens you guys claim to hunt.

Out here on the East Coast, we have gangs of 5-8 turkeys coming at you wearing leather jackets and snapping their little 3-toes slowly and rhythmically. That kind of thing will turn you whiter than you already are. Big, black turkeys too. I know you only see black people when you attend sporting events out there in the Mdwest. Anyways, these things will come up to you, grab yer gun out yer hand and choke you like your Chiefs playoff hopes every year. Then they start to gang rape you. You ever had a turkey dick? Let me tell you that the first 45 minutes is extremely unpleasant. The next 3 hours becomes somewhat enjoyable and 6 hours later, you're just hoping they call you in the morning.

You definitely don't bring yer little kids on a turkey hunt out East. They will kill you like we did Tupac. So, take yer can opener and spin that thing up and watch the animals coming running while you and little Junior pop a cap in dat ass and you call yourself a hunter. You come out here to Virginny and let a turkey shove it's little turkey dick in ya and see if you still consider yerself a man. I think you'll go home crying to yer Mama with a pocketful of turkey phone numbers and a false sense that they'll actually be calling yer pansy Kansas City ass.

:wacko: This is friggin hysterical

That is a big difference from actually deriving pleasure from the specific act of killing something.

I can't speak for all hunters, but for me anyway, the actual kill is not the part that we derive pleasure from. The pleasure comes from the process, of scouting out areas for the kill, spending time out doors with nature, and spending time with family and friends. The kill itself is more times than not anti-climatic. Don't get me wrong, when I have a big buck in my sights it is a bit of an adrenaline rush, but that is not the reason I go hunting. I go hunting for the times spent with family and friends, and because I like the meat. I'm also careful not to harvest a buck until it has reached it's prime, which is a good conservation technique, or unless it is a spike, which would deform the heard. I shoot a lot more doe and spkies (undesirable bucks) than I do mature "trophy" bucks. Our lease is a game management lease as well, and we practices strict game management rules.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

wow...Post of the Year candidate

Has anyone said a word about population control? As far as deer are concerned, we HAVE to hunt them. They reproduce more than a polygamist from Texas. I have deer in my parking lot sometimes...and I don't live in the country. Hunting is a part of life for a lot of people. And I am willing to bet that 99% of animals that are killed in the U.S., are used in some way. Yes there are a lot of people that stuff the head and put it above the fire place, but i am sure the rest of the thing is in the freezer ready to be eaten.

There is no better feeling than to have a freezer full of meat that YOU put there. The money you save is equally as awesome.

:wacko::D:D:brew::D:D

I can't speak for all hunters, but for me anyway, the actual kill is not the part that we derive pleasure from. The pleasure comes from the process, of scouting out areas for the kill, spending time out doors with nature, and spending time with family and friends. The kill itself is more times than not anti-climatic. Don't get me wrong, when I have a big buck in my sights it is a bit of an adrenaline rush, but that is not the reason I go hunting. I go hunting for the times spent with family and friends, and because I like the meat. I'm also careful not to harvest a buck until it has reached it's prime, which is a good conservation technique, or unless it is a spike, which would deform the heard. I shoot a lot more doe and spkies (undesirable bucks) than I do mature "trophy" bucks. Our lease is a game management lease as well, and we practices strict game management rules.

Which is precisely why I, personally, understand why people hunt and have no problem with it. It just so happens I can understand why people would have issues with it.

edit to subtract: That last bit was uncalled for. I forgot for a moment who I was responding to.

Edited by detlef

Has anyone said a word about population control? As far as deer are concerned, we HAVE to hunt them. They reproduce more than a polygamist from Texas. I have deer in my parking lot sometimes...and I don't live in the country. Hunting is a part of life for a lot of people. And I am willing to bet that 99% of animals that are killed in the U.S., are used in some way. Yes there are a lot of people that stuff the head and put it above the fire place, but i am sure the rest of the thing is in the freezer ready to be eaten.

There is no better feeling than to have a freezer full of meat that YOU put there. The money you save is equally as awesome.

:wacko::D:D:brew::D:D

And why , exactly , do humans need to control the population of an animal that was here long before we were? Because hunters/farmers/herders killed off all of thier natural predators, ie wolves, coyote, mountain lion and bears. If you were really into controling thier population you would be contributing to the re-introduction of the alpine wolf into North America not out shooting them.

And why , exactly , do humans need to control the population of an animal that was here long before we were? Because hunters/farmers/herders killed off all of thier natural predators, ie wolves, coyote, mountain lion and bears. If you were really into controling thier population you would be contributing to the re-introduction of the alpine wolf into North America not out shooting them.

I hear ya, but that grocery store/Wal Mart/Mall that you may have went to not long ago, used to be some animal's home. The development of the human race is the reason there needs to be population control at least with the deer). If we didn't put up a strip mall every 30 minutes, then there would not be a problem with too many deer. The reason the "natural" predators were killed off is because they were killing our source of meat/crops. I'm not too sure that the Alpine wold would do too well in So. Florida....

Which is precisely why I, personally, understand why people hunt and have no problem with it. It just so happens I can understand why people would have issues with it. Imagine that, understanding there are reasons for both sides of an argument.

I'm not saying hunting is for everyone, but it just gets my blood pumping when someone tries to make a moral judgment on hunters. If it weren't for hunters deer would be starving to death in many places. It is no more immoral to hunt and kill a deer and eat it than it is to eat a cow. Now, if someone wants to rail on a trophy hunter that hunts for nothing more than a rack, and does not eat his kill, I'll be right there with them, but 95% of hunters hunt for the meat and the time out doors.

I hear ya, but that grocery store/Wal Mart/Mall that you may have went to not long ago, used to be some animal's home. The development of the human race is the reason there needs to be population control at least with the deer). If we didn't put up a strip mall every 30 minutes, then there would not be a problem with too many deer. The reason the "natural" predators were killed off is because they were killing our source of meat/crops. I'm not too sure that the Alpine wold would do too well in So. Florida....

+1

I'm not saying hunting is for everyone, but it just gets my blood pumping when someone tries to make a moral judgment on hunters. If it weren't for hunters deer would be starving to death in many places. It is no more immoral to hunt and kill a deer and eat it than it is to eat a cow. Now, if someone wants to rail on a trophy hunter that hunts for nothing more than a rack, and does not eat his kill, I'll be right there with them, but 95% of hunters hunt for the meat and the time out doors.

Apparently detlef doesn't get it. He is morally superior.

I'm not too sure that the Alpine wold would do too well in So. Florida....

Ya, neither does the endangered Key Deer which was poached to near extinction. Nor do the Florida Panthers (the animal, not the team) who are barely clinging to existence themselves due to trophy hunters.

We should go back to the day of the cave man, forsake all forms of transportation other than our own two feet, live out of a cave, and hope that we are awake with spear in hand when the Alpine wolf decides he likes our cave. :wacko:

Ya, neither does the endangered Key Deer which was poached to near extinction. Nor do the Florida Panthers (the animal, not the team) who are barely clinging to existence themselves due to trophy hunters.

I don't have time right now to do the research but would bet a :wacko: that habitat loss has affected the Key Deer and mountain lions in Florida much more drastically than legal hunting and/or poaching.

We should go back to the day of the cave man, forsake all forms of transportation other than our own two feet, live out of a cave, and hope that we are awake with spear in hand when the Alpine wolf decides he likes our cave. :wacko:

Are you implying that in order for the human race to live in harmony with other species we need to regress technologically? I think its quite the opposite.

Nobody is promoting hunting endangered species. Nobody here has promoted hunting animals purely as trophies. Most hunters I know hate the type of "hunters" you describe above as much if not more than any tree hugger out there, because not only do they destroy a part of nature for no reason, but they also give responsible hunters a bad name, so that environmental wackos have more to rail against. The fact of the matter what I hunt most the white tail deer is over populated in my area. If me and other like me didn't hunt them they would starve to death, and there would be a lot more problems with humans as well, due to cars hitting deer more often, deer wandering into neighborhoods and attacking people etc..

As with everything in life, DK, there is an exception to the rule. There is ALWAYS gonna be people that go against the grain. Come out to the mid-west where I grew up, and you can see that there are plenty of WHITE TAILED deer and NO trophy hunters in sight.

Actually pretty funny. I chuckled since none of it is remotely possible. Your still a loser with a cool car to try and inflate your ego, but I'm sure most laugh AT you. :wacko: You come onto a football site not to talk about football but to try and make witty responses to make people laugh (which you are successful at) and pretty much provide nothing to the football part of the board. I'm sure you get your a$$ kicked now in FF as much as your scrawny little pocket proctector childhood days provided. Did it ever occur to you that your dogs were just like their owner....weak?

Edited by Hat Trick

Are you implying that in order for the human race to live in harmony with other species we need to regress technologically? I think its quite the opposite.

Actually, you peeked my curiousity, and in quickly researching the Key Deer, I did in fact find out that human technology is the main problem for them today (although, to your credit, poaching did play a large role in their initial demise). From Wikipedia:

Endangered status

Deer were hunted as a food supply by native tribes, passing sailors, and early settlers. The hunting of Key Deer was banned in 1939, but widespread poaching and habitat destruction caused the subspecies to plummet to near-extinction by the 1950s. The National Key Deer Refuge, a federally administered National Wildlife Refuge operated by the Wildlife Service, was established in 1957.

Recent population estimates put the population between 300 and 800, putting it on the list of endangered species. Road kills from drivers on U.S. Route 1, which traverses the deer's small range, are also a major threat, averaging between 30 and 40 kills per year, 70% of the annual mortality.

However, the population has made an encouraging rise since 1955, when population estimates ranged as low as 25, and appears to have stabilized in recent years. Still, recent human encroachment into the fragile habitat and the deer's relatively low rate of reproduction point to an uncertain future for the species.

:wacko: