[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad shoots son....thought he was a Turkey? Sad..son died.

TheShiznit

Actually pretty funny. I chuckled since none of it is remotely possible. Your still a loser with a cool car to try and inflate your ego, but I'm sure most laugh AT you. :wacko: You come onto a football site not to talk about football but to try and make witty responses to make people laugh (which you are successful at) and pretty much provide nothing to the football part of the board. I'm sure you get your a$$ kicked now in FF as much as your scrawny little pocket proctector childhood days provided. Did it ever occur to you that your dogs were just like their owner....weak?

Clearly, we need an octagon.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sensing animosity between Hat Trick and TimC. And you know, I'm a trained professional.

the hunters' first instinct is usually to go after the biggest, most magnificent, most beautiful specimen of the herd -- that is what they enjoy killing the most.

which makes it all the more strange that he decided to go after timc :wacko:

the hunters' first instinct is usually to go after the biggest, most magnificent, most beautiful specimen of the herd -- that is what they enjoy killing the most.

which makes it all the more strange that he decided to go after timc :wacko:

He assumes TimC is tasty. He is smoked with beer glazed innards.

Edited by whomper

Growing up in Minnesota, I was introduced to hunting at an early age. Been hunting for 22 years now, and its something that I really enjoy. For me (as others have expressed as well) its about much more than just the kill. I consider it a hobby (moreso than a sport), and I will only kill what I fully intend to eat. I know there are folks who dont understand nor approve of hunting, and I respect their right to feel that way. I obviously dont feel the same as they do, but I respect their opinion nonetheless.

Back to the original thread topic, I was pretty angry when I first heard the story. No one should ever get shot while hunting, but we hear about it every year it seems. It is completely inexcusable to not clearly identify your target before even pointing your weapon let alone pulling the trigger. This guy was turkey hunting. He should not have even been preparing for a shot until he saw a turkey clearly enough to see the beard. But it seems he saw something moving in the tall grass and that was enough for him. He decided to take the shot. I would be curious as to what he would do had he walked over and found he shot a hen. Given he was hunting without a license, I suspect he may have just left her lay. Disgusting and illegal. Instead, though, he ended up shooting his own son and now he gets to live with that.

This guy made several mistakes that day. He goes out unlicensed with an 8yr old with him and leaves the child alone so he can go stalking. Then he shoots at something he obviously didnt know was even a turkey let alone a legal one. A complete and total lack of judgement that proved to be fatal.

I'll never understand how year after year people shoot other people while hunting. How can you see something well enough to hit it but not well enough to know what it is? And how in the heck do you shoot if you dont know for sure? Just boggles my mind :D:wacko::D

Back to the original thread topic, I was pretty angry when I first heard the story. No one should ever get shot while hunting, but we hear about it every year it seems. It is completely inexcusable to not clearly identify your target before even pointing your weapon let alone pulling the trigger. This guy was turkey hunting. He should not have even been preparing for a shot until he saw a turkey clearly enough to see the beard. But it seems he saw something moving in the tall grass and that was enough for him. He decided to take the shot. I would be curious as to what he would do had he walked over and found he shot a hen. Given he was hunting without a license, I suspect he may have just left her lay. Disgusting and illegal. Instead, though, he ended up shooting his own son and now he gets to live with that.

This guy made several mistakes that day. He goes out unlicensed with an 8yr old with him and leaves the child alone so he can go stalking. Then he shoots at something he obviously didnt know was even a turkey let alone a legal one. A complete and total lack of judgement that proved to be fatal.

I'll never understand how year after year people shoot other people while hunting. How can you see something well enough to hit it but not well enough to know what it is? And how in the heck do you shoot if you dont know for sure? Just boggles my mind :D:wacko::D

+1

And why , exactly , do humans need to control the population of an animal that was here long before we were? Because hunters/farmers/herders killed off all of thier natural predators, ie wolves, coyote, mountain lion and bears. If you were really into controling thier population you would be contributing to the re-introduction of the alpine wolf into North America not out shooting them.

Well, without farmers/herders/hunters shooting these predators, the price of your beef, lamb etc would be much higher. You would be feeding these animals, not nature. Penned animals are much easier for predators to kill just like it is for trophy hunters on deer ranches with high fences.

The other thing that control predator populations does is protects suburbia. What will the out cry be when a coyote, fox, wolf, panther, etc comes on to someone's property on the edge of a city and drags one of their children off to eat. I can see it now, nice sunny day, mom out working in the garden, a nice fat giggling baby in a play pen on the back deck and Mr. Coyote comes up and bits or hauls off a tasty, easily gotten dinner.

I hunt, I enjoy the sport of it. Thanks for coming by.

Well, without farmers/herders/hunters shooting these predators, the price of your beef, lamb etc would be much higher. You would be feeding these animals, not nature. Penned animals are much easier for predators to kill just like it is for trophy hunters on deer ranches with high fences.

The other thing that control predator populations does is protects suburbia. What will the out cry be when a coyote, fox, wolf, panther, etc comes on to someone's property on the edge of a city and drags one of their children off to eat. I can see it now, nice sunny day, mom out working in the garden, a nice fat giggling baby in a play pen on the back deck and Mr. Coyote comes up and bits or hauls off a tasty, easily gotten dinner.

I hunt, I enjoy the sport of it. Thanks for coming by.

I think DKnight is a vegetarian so I doubt he cares much about the price of meat.

As for your second bit about saving little babies from coyotes... You might have just been better off saying you enjoy hunting and leave it at that. It's a bit more believable.

I will judge the hell out of some dumb ass who doesn't know what the hell he's doing and takes his kid out in the woods and shoots him. As somebody who feels both having kids and owning guns should be taken far more seriously than many seem to take it, this strikes two nerves.

A pool is more dangerous to a child than a gun.

I think DKnight is a vegetarian so I doubt he cares much about the price of meat.

As for your second bit about saving little babies from coyotes... You might have just been better off saying you enjoy hunting and leave it at that. It's a bit more believable.

Hey Det, the opinion I expressed was from my friend who is the State Trapper here in South Dakota. He is very concerned about this. One of his major jobs is killing coyotes here in the central part of the state. He pointed me in this direction. More common than you think.

Hey Det, the opinion I expressed was from my friend who is the State Trapper here in South Dakota. He is very concerned about this. One of his major jobs is killing coyotes here in the central part of the state. He pointed me in this direction. More common than you think.

So, dude found 7 reported incidents in 2007 in the US and Canada. I'm sure there were more but I'm also guessing that is quite a bit less than attacks by dogs.

Also, I've got to laugh at the first bit "hunting gives them a healthy fear of us". Actually, hunting makes them dead. Killing has been proven to be 100% effective in stopping living creatures from doing anything wrong besides start to smell. Well, at least the actual creature that you kill. I would imagine that the efficacy of hunting coyotes has a lot more to do with the fact that there are simply less alive than the fact that the surviving ones "learn to respect us".

Of course, the biggest issue with your line of discussion is that pretty much everyone here is down with hunting in terms of it being a means to an end (ie food, protecting livestock, preventing overpopulation, etc.) Thus, you're not going to find an argument as to why you shouldn't hunt coyotes that are threatening suburbia.

I only bothered to say what I did because you were bringing up a pretty fringe argument.

Which is why my 3 year old can already swim on his own, without any kind of floatation device.

But does your three year old go swimming alone? Does he/she just wonder off and jump in the pool while you or your wife step away for a minute, thinking that he/she will be alright because it's only for a minute? I'm sure you aren't one of those people, but there are a lot that are and what this all comes to is bad parenting! And this further back my belief that all who plan on having kids should be required to obtain a license. Future thread to come on that matter...

It's not the pool that kills the kid, it's the parents that didn't take the proper measures to keep the kid away from the pool. The 12 gauge didn't kill the 8 year old, the father did when he didn't follow the rules of hunting. When I was a kid, I was at my aunts house in New Orleans, and decided to go swimming before everyone else woke up. A sore behind and a lengthy lecture later on the possibilities of DROWNING, I was never tempted to go and swim without supervision.

Two major rules were broken, (never leave a kid alone while hunting, and know your target) and this man suffered the ultimate consequence for it. His story will be the first subject brought up at every hunters safety class from now until forever.

But does your three year old go swimming alone? Does he/she just wonder off and jump in the pool while you or your wife step away for a minute, thinking that he/she will be alright because it's only for a minute? I'm sure you aren't one of those people, but there are a lot that are and what this all comes to is bad parenting! And this further back my belief that all who plan on having kids should be required to obtain a license. Future thread to come on that matter...

It's not the pool that kills the kid, it's the parents that didn't take the proper measures to keep the kid away from the pool. The 12 gauge didn't kill the 8 year old, the father did when he didn't follow the rules of hunting. When I was a kid, I was at my aunts house in New Orleans, and decided to go swimming before everyone else woke up. A sore behind and a lengthy lecture later on the possibilities of DROWNING, I was never tempted to go and swim without supervision.

Two major rules were broken, (never leave a kid alone while hunting, and know your target) and this man suffered the ultimate consequence for it. His story will be the first subject brought up at every hunters safety class from now until forever.

Ding ding! Which is why in my post that Chavez replied to, I said that too many people don't take guns or parenting as seriously as it seem they should. Pointing out that pools are "more dangerous" (which is only true because kids have way more exposure to them, especially alone) is sort of a lame argument that does not remotely address what I was saying.

Edited by detlef

Growing up in Minnesota, I was introduced to hunting at an early age. Been hunting for 22 years now, and its something that I really enjoy. For me (as others have expressed as well) its about much more than just the kill. I consider it a hobby (moreso than a sport), and I will only kill what I fully intend to eat. I know there are folks who dont understand nor approve of hunting, and I respect their right to feel that way. I obviously dont feel the same as they do, but I respect their opinion nonetheless.

As one of the more well thought out responses...let me ask this. Should involuntary manslaughter charges be brought against the father. He obviously had zero intent, but his reckless actions did result in death.