[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Draft Busts of all time

DMD

Enis and McNown are the only 2 Bears??? :D

What about:

Rashaan Salaam

David Terrell

Craig Krenzel

And soon to be Cedric Benson. :wacko:

SI was kind to ma Bears.

Edited by rocknrobn26

Interesting bit on Akili Smith -

"Smith emerged after one good season at Oregon and almost went No. 1 over Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb. But Smith was destined to be a bust from the beginning. Not only was he selected by the Bengals -- a reliable indicator of future flops -- he was coached by QB guru Jeff Tedford in college. Tedford-coached quarterbacks -- Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller -- haven't had much NFL success. Aaron Rodgers, the Packers new starter, will be the next Tedford pupil in the spotlight. "

Glad I traded Rodgers! :wacko:

I liked #15 since it explains the other side to a infamous moment in NFL Draft history concerning Kiper.

Kiper's an obnoxious blowhard. He throws tons of crap at the wall and takes credit for whatever sticks. Something tells me that he wouldn't be much of an NFL GM...

* Kiper also criticized the Colts selection of Marshall Faulk at #2 in 1994, saying that the team should have taken either Shuler or Trent Dilfer.[5] Kiper attacked the selection of Faulk, stating, "That's why the Colts keep picking No. 2 every year." [6] Faulk became the 1994 Offensive Rookie of the Year.[7] After a long career as one of the elite running backs NFL history, the general consensus is that Faulk will someday be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

* Among his failures, Kiper thought that Heisman Trophy winner and University of Houston quarterback Andre Ware would be an excellent NFL quarterback and a great match for the Detroit Lions-- Ware's tenure in the NFL was brief and inconspicuous. Ware is considered among the biggest busts in draft history.[11]

* In 1999, Kiper said that Oregon quarterback Akili Smith would be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason. Smith was selected ahead of Daunte Culpepper, Torry Holt, Edgerrin James, Champ Bailey, and Jevon Kearse, but he spent less than four abysmal seasons in Cincinnati, starting only 17 games. He has since struggled in several brief stops in the NFL, NFL Europe, and even the CFL. It's notable that Kiper rated Smith higher than Donovan McNabb and Culpepper, despite the facts that Smith only had 11 starts at the college level and had performed poorly on the Wonderlic aptitude tests administered at the NFL Combine, both of which are traditionally seen as important indicators of a quarterback's readiness for the NFL. Smith's career was marred by inconsistency and failure to grasp the complexities of the Bengals' playbook, issues which appear to have been foreshadowed by his lack of experience and low scores.

* One of Kiper's most well known mistakes was when he stated that USC wide receiver Mike Williams would be the best player in his 2005 draft class, despite not having played football in over a year after being ruled ineligible by the NCAA. When ESPN analyst Merril Hoge disagreed, Kiper uttered the now infamous line, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Williams has been a remarkable disappointment, playing very little and showing no signs of improvement with either of the two teams he's played for. As of October 31, 2007 he is already out of football after being waived by the Oakland Raiders. Further adding to the embarrassment for Kiper (and the Detroit Lions, who selected him 10th overall) is the fact that the next three players selected after Williams all became Pro-Bowlers within 2 years.[citation needed]

* In the 1995 Draft, Kiper proclaimed UCLA wide receiver JJ Stokes a "sure-thing" who was destined to be a future All-Pro. On draft day, Kiper lambasted several teams, including the New York Jets, for passing on Stokes until he was selected 10th overall by the San Francisco 49ers. Stokes spent an undistinguished 8 years in San Francisco in the shadows of Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens, never making a single Pro Bowl or even surpassing 770 yards receiving. After the draft, the Jets signed Hofstra wide receiver Wayne Chrebet as an undrafted free agent. Chrebet became one of the Jets most popular players and surpassed Stokes in every major statistical category.

* In the same 1995 Draft, Kiper had rated BYU Quarterback John Walsh as a first round pick. Walsh declared for the draft after his Junior season and had an abysmal NFL combine where he ran a 5.3 forty yard dash and displayed a weak arm in workouts. Nonetheless, Kiper still rated Walsh as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick on the day of the draft and said he would be a perfect fit for a "West Coast Offense" team like the San Francisco 49ers because of his accuracy on short passes. Walsh slid all the way to the 7th round where he was finally taken by the Cincinnati Bengals. He never appeared in a single game for the quarterback needy Bengals and was out of football less than a year later.

* In 1998 Kiper said that Washington State Quarterback Ryan Leaf's "attitude" (which had rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way in college) would be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over Peyton Manning. Kiper also said that Leaf had the better natural physical tools and would be a great quarterback, though he still rated Manning as the more polished and better overall prospect. Leaf was chosen second overall by the San Diego Chargers immediately after Manning. Leaf's career soon imploded, largely because of a confrontational attitude and poor practice habits that alienated teammates, coaches, and fans. He is now regarded as not only the worst bust in NFL draft history, but also possibly the biggest bust in all of professional sports.[12] His story is viewed as a cautionary tale of what can happen when a team attempts to build around a player with raw talent but questionable attitude.

* Before the 2001 NFL season, Kiper predicted the New England Patriots to go 0-16 and have the 1st pick in the 2002 NFL Draft. Instead, the Patriots went 11-5 and went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI against the St. Louis Rams.

Edited by Bill Swerski

He was coached by QB guru Jeff Tedford in college. Tedford-coached quarterbacks -- Trent Dilfer, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller -- haven't had much NFL success. Aaron Rodgers, the Packers new starter, will be the next Tedford pupil in the spotlight.

While I'll be the first to admit Tedford's QB's aren't spectacular in the NFL, they all have great college careers.

Edited by kpholmes

While I'll be the first to admit Tedford's QB's aren't spectacular in the NFL, they all have great college careers. :wacko:

My father-in-law has season tickets to CAL and I've gone with him to many games. Tedford has not only a big history of great QBs that never meet expectations in the NFL, but his wideouts have not fared very well either. That makes me wonder a little more about DeShaun Jackson...

Tedford is a great college coach and has been smart to not jump to the NFL IMO.

My father-in-law has season tickets to CAL and I've gone with him to many games. Tedford has not only a big history of great QBs that never meet expectations in the NFL, but his wideouts have not fared very well either. That makes me wonder a little more about DeShaun Jackson...

Tedford is a great college coach and has been smart to not jump to the NFL IMO.

Right - definitely something I can respect in Tedford is that he knows his system works in college... and only in college. And he can acknowledge that's where he will be successful.

However while his QB's are definitely consistent with their skill level, I don't think you can write off his other skill position players just yet... I don't think we've had the opportunity to see players from Tedford other than QBs that have tremendous amounts of skill, other than Marshawn Lynch who didn't turn out so bad. So far anyways.

We'll see this year - DeSean, Hawkins, and Stevens at TE

Without looking at the list..Leaf, Mandarich, Akili Smith should be on it

I agree. How could Leaf and Mandarich not be the top 2? Any list I see without them at the top lacks credibility in my mind.

Im sure Rodgers breaks the mold. Hes had a lot more time to learn the game, and he learned from one of the best QBs of all time. The other got thrown to the wolves (Wolfshirts :wacko: )

I don't think learning from Favre constitutes teaching. He does most things wrong, but has a lot of intangibles like playing 100% even goofing around.

McCarthy did send him to QB school a few times.

How about Entman and the other pick when the Colts drafted 1 and 2?

The list wasn't in order by degree of bust

I know but think it should be degree of pain for hometown fans..

I'm extremely surprised Jonathan Sullivan is not on that list. The Saints traded the 17th & 18th overall pick to take Sullivan at 6th.

Exactly who I was looking for. He must be still in line at the buffet and thus wasn't available. :wacko:

They usually do a nice job with these retrospectives at SI. Check out the top 20 worst draft picks.

I liked #15 since it explains the other side to a infamous moment in NFL Draft history concerning Kiper.

SI's Greatest Draft Busts

Yeah, but they explain it wrong. Bill Polian wasn't the GM then. It was Bill Tobin.

I still cry over the Colts screwing up the #1 and #2 overall picks IN THE SAME DRAFT. You would think they couldn't wihiff on both. :shakeshead:

Edited by CaptainHook