[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got back from Ironman

TimC

yeah, phuckin' rocked!

I thought Downey Jr. owned the role and that he's very under-rated.

Frankly, I wasn't going to bother see The Hulk -- eventho I like Ed Norton -- even on video, but now I'll definitely check it out.

:wacko: I was at the 6:30 at the UA in the 16th St. Mall.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we'll see.....

I think TDK is the most anticipated movie this summer...

While it certainly is in my (and most people's) personal top 3 most anticipated movies of this summer, I think Indy takes the above title for the general movie going public.

The formula is simple: good movie (usually) = big summer box office.

While it certainly is in my (and most people's) personal top 3 most anticipated movies of this summer, I think Indy takes the above title for the general movie going public.

The formula is simple: good movie (usually) = big summer box office.

i beg to differ on the indy thing. i think the movie will do well, but will not be of iron man proportions. the last indy came out in 1989, so most people in their teens and twenties have no idea who this is and no movie experience for reference. the series has been dark for 18 freakin' years, so i would think even the most loyal die hard has flamed out a bit. adding shia is a nice touch to try and be relevant to today's kids, but it won't be enough, unless they have some transformers popping out some place. I would guess an opening nowhere near $100 mil, more likely something like $40 mil, with the total box office take capping out around $120 mil domestically. not a bad haul, but no iron man. the last crusade took in $197 mil, with indy at the peak of his popularity (and sean connery). this one isn't coming anywhere close to $200 mil, imo.

i beg to differ on the indy thing. i think the movie will do well, but will not be of iron man proportions. the last indy came out in 1989, so most people in their teens and twenties have no idea who this is and no movie experience for reference. the series has been dark for 18 freakin' years, so i would think even the most loyal die hard has flamed out a bit. adding shia is a nice touch to try and be relevant to today's kids, but it won't be enough, unless they have some transformers popping out some place. I would guess an opening nowhere near $100 mil, more likely something like $40 mil, with the total box office take capping out around $120 mil domestically. not a bad haul, but no iron man. the last crusade took in $197 mil, with indy at the peak of his popularity (and sean connery). this one isn't coming anywhere close to $200 mil, imo.

I totally agree with this. Plus, i think some peopel are going to be ticked that this will screw up their DVD box sets. :wacko:

Do not underestimate the power of the whip and fedora. Indy will top 130 mil on opening weekend no problem.

The Hulk will be the movie that bombs hard this summer.

I completely disagree with this assessment. I'll take any reasonable $$$ bet that Indy will make more than 40 million over it's opening weekend-- even if the reviews are poor.

You may not be looking forward to Indy, but a lot of people out there are. The film is surprisingly tracking very well with younger viewers pre-release (which is one of the largest concerns for this movie). In addition, do not underestimate the power of Speilberg's name attatched to a popcorn film. If this movie gets even decent reviews, this will be a monster. It may not do Spiderman 1 or 2 type numbers, but it'll be big. Assuming the reviews are halfway decent, Indy should cross 200 million, but if it doesn't come anywhere close to 200 million I'd be shocked. I think you are far underestimating the power and interest in this film no matter that the last installment was 19 years ago.

A 120 million haul would be a huge disappointment for this film interms of industry terms, but Speilberg, Lucas and Ford all took smaller upfront salaries for a larger end of the backend profit, so the studio is a bit safer on this film.

I grew up with SW, Indy, Willow... I saw the previous Indiana Jones movies on day one, I'm not sure I'll even see this in the theater. If I can only see 3-4 movies this summer (due to time), Indy won't be one of 'em.

Time is limited for you, but on the chance that everyone comes back raving about this movie, will you make any effort to try and see it in the theaters? Or is it a definite, no matter what, dvd rental?

Do not underestimate the power of the whip and fedora. Indy will top 130 mil on opening weekend no problem.

In contrast to the other posters, I agree with Skilly here. 130 may be a bit bigger than I'd predict for opening weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest at that number or higher. I also think Hulk will be a movie that bombs this summer, but some good will has been generated for it by Iron Man.

i actually think the hulk will beat out indy. the 03 hulk pulled in over $130 mil and it sucked big time. there is a large audience out there wanting to fix this wrong and have an all out hulk-fest. me included.

the time of the whip and fedora are long gone. the appeal of the indy movies was a young, vibrant ford and action scenes that blow you away. ford is now old as dirt and there's no way in that setting that the action will be anything that amazes. if anything, it will be corny and forced. they will be hoping for $130 mil after the shaky opening for this one. optimistically, maybe this thing does get you $70 or $80 opening weekend, but that will exhaust all the remaining fans and it will struggle from there out.

i actually think the hulk will beat out indy. the 03 hulk pulled in over $130 mil and it sucked big time. there is a large audience out there wanting to fix this wrong and have an all out hulk-fest. me included.

the time of the whip and fedora are long gone. the appeal of the indy movies was a young, vibrant ford and action scenes that blow you away. ford is now old as dirt and there's no way in that setting that the action will be anything that amazes. if anything, it will be corny and forced. they will be hoping for $130 mil after the shaky opening for this one. optimistically, maybe this thing does get you $70 or $80 opening weekend, but that will exhaust all the remaining fans and it will struggle from there out.

:wacko:As evidenced here

Cool popcorn summer movie. :wacko::D

I don't want to spoil anything, but do want to get people's opinions of the ending

when he admits he is Ironman. I thought it was cool. Main part I hated was the Cramer yelling part about the stock and the bad guy having complete control of his suit after showing Ironman taking so long to adjust to his.

Talk about a slow movie. There is a reason why Ironman won the battle cuz he took the time.

I don't get what all the hubbub about Batman is. :wacko: Batman Begins was a good flick, but I'm not overly excited about the next one. I guess I've never been a big fan of Batman to begin with so that might be my answer right there. :D

I really liked Iron Man and I guess I'll go see The Hulk. No doubt I'll check out the new Indiana Jones flick, just not sure if I'll go see it on the big screen or not.

Edited by I Like Soup

So I convinced you that it'll pull in a higher opening weekend gross than 40 million? :wacko:

40 million is too low and I suspect by a mile. If the movie is more of the same, but good, it'll reap loads of cash. As I said before, it's not about the movie being more of the same, it much more about it simply being entertaining. Poor reviews would affect the movie's legs, but it'll still have a massive opening weekend. Anything less than 70 million over the holiday weekend will be a let down.

“The Incredible Hulk”: June 13, 2008

“Thor” (Directed by Mathew Vaughn): June 4, 2010

“The First Avenger: Captain America”: May 6, 2011

“The Avengers” (the Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Thor supergroup): July 2011

“Ant Man” (directed by Edagar Wright): TBA

“Spiderman 4″: TBA

I saw a trailer for the new Hulk movie. It looked just as bad as the first Hulk movie that bombed. The problem that I have with it (which I had heard they were going to fix, but obviously didn't) was that the CGI for the Hulk himself looks terrible IMO. It's live action mixed with a cartoon. You might as well be watching Roger Rabbit. If they could have just found a way to make the Hulk look like a realistic figure, then I would be all over it. This one will bomb too. Guaranteed.

I saw a trailer for the new Hulk movie. It looked just as bad as the first Hulk movie that bombed. The problem that I have with it (which I had heard they were going to fix, but obviously didn't) was that the CGI for the Hulk himself looks terrible IMO. It's live action mixed with a cartoon. You might as well be watching Roger Rabbit. If they could have just found a way to make the Hulk look like a realistic figure, then I would be all over it. This one will bomb too. Guaranteed.

Agree...the new Hulk movie is going to bomb as bad as the last disasterous one. Just looked horrible. Not even Ed Norton is going to be able to save it.

I can't wait to see Iron Man, and look forward to the Avengers as well. I could care less about Indy. I was going to watch the Hulk until I learned Jennifer Connelly isn't going to be in it. Now there is no reason to go see it.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I saw a trailer for the new Hulk movie. It looked just as bad as the first Hulk movie that bombed.
Agree...the new Hulk movie is going to bomb as bad as the last disasterous one. Just looked horrible. Not even Ed Norton is going to be able to save it.

Um, it ended up with a US box office gross of $132 million. :wacko:

just saw it tonight. i had heard from a few friends that it was pretty good, so i went in with decent expectations, and it didn't disappoint. unfortunately, i avoided this thread and didn't know to stay until after the credits (my buddy had his two 16-year-old sons with him and needed to get them home, since it was past 10 on a school night). thank god for youtube!

one thing i didn't get was the gwyneth paltrow casting. she seemed wooden and lifeless.