[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Daycare

Double Agent

My 21 month old started daycare this week. The daycare is owned by family friends right across the street from my office. I really feel great about the school...but dropping him off absolutely rips my heart out. I know I'll get used to it and he seems to love it. We've been very fortunate to have my mother in law be his nanny for the last 21 months. But she needs a break...she disagrees...and he needs the social interaction and classroom setting. He's an only child and really acts like it. I think overall it will really benefit him. My mother in law will continue to watch him once a week.

I really wish my wife could stay at home. She has a very lucrative career and it's kind of a no-brainer for her to work...for now. My business is our future so me staying home is not an option either.

Did any of you notice improvements after your kids started daycare? Anything to watch out for? Advice appreciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got sick a lot for the first couple of years. The stuff spreads through the day care.

On a positive note, they learned early how to interact with other children.

Even if it is a family friend, show up unannounced now and again. This will allow you to see really what is happening at the daycare.

I think he's already made a girlfriend. Yesterday was his first day and mentally I was a wreck. I picked him up at 3 and forgot to grab his "doggie" (his stuffed animal that he sleeps with). A colossal f'up when bedtime rolls around. He needs that dog. Anyway, this morning I drop him off at 9 and a little girl runs up and hugs my boy...then runs to my son's locker and grabbed the dog for him. I guess he has a way with women...I should take notes.

I remember walking in unexpected once to the daycare. It was about 100 degrees outside.

What I found was the daycare owner and her kids watching TV in the air-conditioned room, and the rest of the kids burning outside in the sun.

The next daycare was much better. Very good people.

Be prepared for plenty of illness as has already been stated here. Our almost 3 y/o has been in daycare environments since she was about 2 months old. For the first year it was a grandmother type and she was the only kid. The next was another home daycare for about 8 months with a housefull of other kids. She is now in a daycare environment with a ton of kids but she is only with 2-3 year olds in a class room type setting. She has really improved over the last year she has been there, and she is an only child as well.

I love to show up to pick up my son at daycare and I spend 5 minutes watching him run around with the other kids on the playground before I get out of my car. He's having so much fun. I used to think I'd want my wife to stay home if we could afford it, but how can I take the boy away from that?

Griz... If I ever suspected that the people watching my kid weren't doing it right, he'd be out of there in a second. Luckily, nothing like that has come up yet.

I love to show up to pick up my son at daycare and I spend 5 minutes watching him run around with the other kids on the playground before I get out of my car. He's having so much fun. I used to think I'd want my wife to stay home if we could afford it, but how can I take the boy away from that?

Griz... If I ever suspected that the people watching my kid weren't doing it right, he'd be out of there in a second. Luckily, nothing like that has come up yet.

I agree...I also like watching MILF's....sure you're watchin 5 yr olds run around.

Oh yea. They were gone in a week. Mrs Griz freaked hard on the lady who was a family friend. It was good entertainment.

Both out of daycare now. 12 year old watches 8 year old daughter after school. We have good neighbors and family very close by. Wife works only a mile from the home. This summer will be the big test.... :wacko:

Never used daycare as my wife stays home with the kids. My oldest (3 and a half) is in prechool two days a week from about 8:30 to noon. He really likes it, though up until recently he would cry everytime my wife would drop him off. He didn't cry when I got to when I wa on vacation a couple weeks ago and hasn't since for my wife. He loves it. He has a couple kids in theclass that he has been around since he was very young as my wife is part of a Mom's club and these kids were all in his playgroup.

I feel very fortunate that my wife is able to stay at home with my kids, that she is very proactive at finding activities and that the Mom's club is very active with activities as well (Monday they all got to do a tour of California Pizza Kitchen, all of the kids got to make their own personal pizza then CPK comped lunch for all of the mom's, today a bunch of the mom's took the train to a local zoo that is very kid friendly) and that we have found a preschool that we feel is providing him with not just a good social outlet but also good learning. I'm happy because I am finally meeting more people in So Cal with similar family situations (ie kids similar age, etc.) as previously I pretty much got up, worked, came home, cooked dinner, went to sleep and repeated the process and never really got to know anyone down here.

And yes, my son had certainly gotten a few more colds than before, but that is expected and we were prepared for it. I just wish my work schedule allowed me to take him in to preschool and to pick him up, but for now that is not in the cards.

Oh yea. They were gone in a week. Mrs Griz freaked hard on the lady who was a family friend. It was good entertainment.

:wacko: Yeah. My parents used to pay a woman to watch me after school, then one day my dad came to pick me up and she had no idea where we were. "Uhh... I don't know. They're probably around here somewhere..." (her son and I were 3 blocks away at the city pool).

That was the last day my parents paid for after-school care for me. My father's insulting tirade also made me unwelcome in that house for a while. :D

Just be prepared for the germs.

Other than that, the daycare I take my kid (almost 11 months) to is top notch. We get daily reports on all of the activities he does and what skills they worked on with him. Much like schools I'd probably look at the ratio of kids to adults too. Ours is 2:1 and will be 3:1 once he starts walking and moves on to the toddler school.

Honestly, there's no way my wife and I could develop our child the way his current school does. They all have degrees in education and are certified across the board for infant/toddler education and safety.

Edited by twiley

our daughter (a little over 2 yrs old) was in one for a little..... we just started a new one a week ago.

- the sickness cycle sucks... she would come home with something new every week and inevitably we would get it.....

- she was learning social skills and having fun with other kids

- she learned new things not taught at home

- she also was learning some poor behavior from some of the other kids

we moved her because we had some issues with their overall organization (lack of a more structured learning plan) and there was one child that was biting her. the new one is working out well so far.

This was a timely read as we are putting our 22 month old son in daycare beginning this summer. My dad has been watching him since my wife returned to work, so granddaddy probably needs the break. I'm torn a little as I've taken comfort knowing he was with his granddad when mom and dad were away. Now he will be with strangers. Sniff...sniff...I'm sure he'll be okay...sniff...sniff...

This was a timely read as we are putting our 22 month old son in daycare beginning this summer. My dad has been watching him since my wife returned to work, so granddaddy probably needs the break. I'm torn a little as I've taken comfort knowing he was with his granddad when mom and dad were away. Now he will be with strangers. Sniff...sniff...I'm sure he'll be okay...sniff...sniff...

If you shed a tear when you drop him off, please let me know. I want to make sure I'm not the only vaginer in the Tailgate. :wacko:

Edited by Double Agent

We got lucky. When we closed on our house a few years back, one of the agents present at our closing recommended a daycare provider in our new neighborhood. Turned out to be one of the greatest blessings we could ever hope for. Our daycare provider is wonderful, and she sincerely loves our son. You can tell.

Recently we've gone through some interesting changes in my family. We had my son (3 years old, almost 4) out of daycare for about 6 or 7 weeks, while his grandparents watched him. We became so concerned at his lack of development from staying at home with his grandparents without any other kids to interact with, that we had to change back. Lucky for us, his daycare spot hadn't been filled. The first day back at daycare he began to eat better and suddenly wanted to go poopy on the toilet. Peer pressure can be a very good thing at that age!

Has anyone tried probiotics?

I/my family take them all the time. If I have this right, they are the "good" digestive enzymes, bacteria, whatever similar to those found in yogurt. I take them especially when taking antibiotics so your stomach isn't torn up so badly.

Other than that, the daycare I take my kid (almost 11 months) to is top notch. We get daily reports on all of the activities he does and what skills they worked on with him.

I'm sorry, but this cracks me up.

(I took my 11 month to the playground today and the skill I worked on with him was standing up in the stroller and then falling out of it onto his head.)

I'm sorry, but this cracks me up.

(I took my 11 month to the playground today and the skill I worked on with him was standing up in the stroller and then falling out of it onto his head.)

:wacko:

Awwww, your own little Gerald Ford. :D

But even that's got a silver lining. A child's immune system needs to learn how to cope with flus and colds.

Amen. That's why my wife and I make our daughter play in the cat's litter box for an hour each day.

That kid sounds like a chip off the ol' block.

Sigh...i guess I'll have to be the devil's advocate here. I'm really surprised I haven't seen any posts about not sending your'e kids to daycare. In my, and many people's opinion, your'e kids should be home with mommy or daddy during the early years. If you want them to have the same level of values and respect that you have or expect, then stay home and raise them accordingly. And please, don't post the "we can't afford it" response. If that's truly the cse, and I doubt it is, then you haven't thought parenthood through.