[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Idiot Administrators

Perchoutofwater

As many of you know my wife has been a special education teacher for 13 years. She has been with her current district for 9 years. She he was a resource math and science teacher at the high school level for the first 7 years with her current district, which she absolutely loved. For the last two years she has been the special ed department head at the high school, which means she basically sits in on every special ed meeting, and covers one period of the resource. While she doesn't like the admin portion, she did this as a favor for the district, because the department was in shambles two years ago. She has since cleaned up the department, and it is in great shape.

Last week the districts special ed administrator called her in, and told her she was thinking of moving her to the elementary school to teach life skills and head up their special ed department, which has gotten the district in some legal trouble over the last few years. They also stated they would give my wife an additional $2,500 a year to do this, so it isn't like she is being punished, or asked to move from one campus to another for disciplinary reasons. My wife told the administrator she had no desire to do this, as she likes the high school age group, and has never taught life skills, and was afraid she would get burned out teaching life skills. She also does not like the principal at the elementary school. She is also very involved in the high school extra cirricular programs, she has sponsored student senate, and cheer leaders, and keeps stats for the basket ball team. She also told her principal directly after this meeting that she did not want the transfer. Well yesterday my wife gets called in to a meeting with the administrator and her principal. The principal in the past has had bad evaluations for not cooperating with this administrator, so to keep from getting another bad evaluation, he sold out my wife and signed the transfer papers.

This same administrator has ran off 5 very good special ed teachers from the high school in the last 5 years, three of which are now department heads at other nearby districts, and one of which is the special ed administrator for another district. She has absolutely no teaching experience. Her degree isn't even in education. She's a failed lawyer, which I guess could be good in special ed, if she actually knew the laws regarding special ed. One of the people she previously ran off was ran off because she was trying to keep the district out of hot water, and had a "personality conflict" with the administrator. She met with the school superintendent this morning, and he told her that he doesn't like the move, and that he knows all she does for the high school, but that he wasn't going to over rule one of his administrators.

My wife is beside herself. She has been crying for the last two days. She doubt it will do any good, there is a school board meeting next week, and here entire department, several other teachers, a number of her students parents, and at least one of the high school's principals are going to talk to the board about this move, and how the transfer should not be done. She will not take the transfer, she will resign first. She can stay at home if she wants to, or get another job, I don't care which. She has already got one offer from another nearby district, and there is another one that has asked that she send them a application, so she has options. It just pisses me of that incompetent people are put in a position of authority, and rather than keep a person who is good at the job they have, they are going to force her out because she won't take a job they want her to.

Sorry just had to vent.

Do they know that she will resign before she accepts this transfer?

She told the superintendent that this morning, and I think she has told her principal. I don't know if she has told the special ed admin or not.

She told the superintendent that this morning, and I think she has told her principal. I don't know if she has told the special ed admin or not.

And they haven't budged? So instead of having one open position, they'll have two. I find some things hard to understand.

And they haven't budged? So instead of having one open position, they'll have two. I find some things hard to understand.

I'm telling you this special ed admin is an idiot. This is the third time she has pulled crap like this and ended up losing a teacher and having to find two. I swear she must have something on to the superintendent.

It never ceases to amaze me what motivates people. In this case, it is obviously not taking care of someone that has gone out of their way to help not just the students, but the administration as well and one who is clearly an asset to that organization. I'm really sorry to hear that they're putting oyur wife through this, but when you boil it all down, if your wife has to leave becasuse of this, don't you think she'll end up being better off for not having to work for these asstards? I know it's hard to understand when you're going through it, especially since she seems so enjoy her work so much. I wish you guys much luck in this one Perch.

Here's what my principals/administrators get from me when crap starts to happen. "I refuse to have this conversation with you until my attorney is present." It works wonders. Sorry to hear this is the treatment your obviously outstanding wife is receiving for all her dedication. she will come out of this much better off. Good luck.

Seriously, my wife is a special ed teacher as well and I've seen first hand much of the same things you've mentioned with the administrations at the schools she has worked with. The last principal she worked with was a very nice lady who was basically run off by a couple of the teachers who were friends with the supers...long-drawn out battles over several years and she finally just called it quits last year and retired. Schools are not only vicious for the students but for the people who work there as well. As hard as it will be your wife should leave that scenario as even if she was to go back she'd be doing battle with the idiots she's currently working with...on the good side though special ed teachers are in HUGH demand and she will have no problems whatsoever landing another job somewhere else, and can probably get more pay or at least the 2.5K she would have gotten at that elementary. Kinda funny though in the sense my wife hates working at the high school level and loves working with the little ones, as your wife seems to be the opposite...best of luck to her.

Does she have access to her personell files? I'd be sure and make copies of everything so the admins don't try to be dooooshbags and change anything, therefore, essentially blackballing her. Seems far-fetched, but ya never know. It sucks to leave a place where one feels comfortable. I wish your wife much luck and please keep us up to date.

Does she have access to her personell files? I'd be sure and make copies of everything so the admins don't try to be dooooshbags and change anything, therefore, essentially blackballing her. Seems far-fetched, but ya never know. It sucks to leave a place where one feels comfortable. I wish your wife much luck and please keep us up to date.

Man is this good advice. I check my district file every year. Some one put an anonymous letter in my file once and I was never notified. That was a fine, fine day in the office.

Upset wives suck. Hope she finds something that makes her happy.

That is what pisses me off here, is how they have upset her. Honestly I would almost rather her stay at home than work, but she loves what she does.

• 1 month later...

Well the wife got a new job. She is now teaching at the high school where she and I started dating. She also gets a 19.52% raise, thanks to getting her math certification this summer. Of course I'm sure Shiznit will say she was lucky, and that it has nothing to do with her work ethic, the way she relates to students, and actually going and getting certified in another area.