[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here been to Cancun or familiar with it?

MrTed46

Been South of Cancun along the Riviera Maya a couple of times in the last few years. Loved it, but didn't really go up to see the Cancun strip. If you go South at all, let me know and I can give you my take on that area.

I have been twice, in 1995 and in 2002. I recall that when we took transportation to the hotel from the airport (not set up in advance, a bus service that went to several of the hotels), someone from the bus company was on the bus with us and told us about events that this company ran. One of which was a bar crawl. Cost us $50 apiece. We had our own bus (I was with 30 guys) and we hit 10 bars. All drinks were included, no one had to drive or take cabs, and we were assigned two people to get drinks for us while we danced, partied, hooked up, etc. We each threw in another $25 as a tip so we partied all night on $75 a guy. WELL worth it.

Also, the booze cruise to La Isla Mujera was a lot of fun, as was the boat tour (we each took two-man boats on a tour, then tied the boats up and snorkeled).

Have fun!

Been to Cancun, Riviera Maya, and Cozumel.

Preferred Riviera Maya.

E2A: If you're going with a bunch of guys then I'd stay in Cancun. Commercialized, ton of bars, and ample poon.

Edited by twiley

Been to Cancun, Riviera Maya, and Cozumel.

Preferred Riviera Maya.

E2A: If you're going with a bunch of guys then I'd stay in Cancun. Commercialized, ton of bars, and ample poon.

+1 I'm supposed to go there the 2nd week in August, but may not get to go, because my wife will probably be changing schools and have new teacher orientation at the new school district :wacko:

No matter where you go in that area, you have to remember this... when you arrive and are trying to exit the airport, there will be a bunch of people inside the doorway of the airport, in uniforms, asking if you need help finding where you are going. Ignore these people... do not make eye-contact... do not say a word to them. They are there to get you roped into a time-share presentation. They will offer you a coupon for a day trip or some kind of excursion. Don't do it man. You will have to waste an entire day of your vacation sitting with them listening to them try to sell you a timeshare. Just put your head down, and walk briskly through the exit of the airport where you can then find your legitimate tour company representative waiting to take you to your hotel.

No matter where you go in that area, you have to remember this... when you arrive and are trying to exit the airport, there will be a bunch of people inside the doorway of the airport, in uniforms, asking if you need help finding where you are going. Ignore these people... do not make eye-contact... do not say a word to them. They are there to get you roped into a time-share presentation. They will offer you a coupon for a day trip or some kind of excursion. Don't do it man. You will have to waste an entire day of your vacation sitting with them listening to them try to sell you a timeshare. Just put your head down, and walk briskly through the exit of the airport where you can then find your legitimate tour company representative waiting to take you to your hotel.

I take it you know this from experience? :wacko:

Good info though.

Here is the deal,

I am looking at staying at Cancun Palace (there are many Palace but its called Cancun Palace).

I can't figure out how far this is from all the hot spots (eg, CocoBongo "Hotel Zone").

I dont want to book this and fidn out I am VERY far from all the hangouts.

http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/CancunPalace/Index.asp

Edited by MrTed46

Here is the deal,

I am looking at staying at Cancun Palace (there are many Palace but its called Cancun Palace).

I can't figure out how far this is from all the hot spots (eg, CocoBongo "Hotel Zone").

I dont want to book this and fidn out I am VERY far from all the hangouts.

Cancun is shaped like an upside down L. Most of the bars and restaurants start right on the corner of that L and make their way down if that makes sense. Cancun Palace is right in the middle.

Stay out of "old cancun" and stick to that L. It's so heavily commercialized that you won't have any issues finding anything to do.

E2A: I've stayed at Moon Palace and Aventura Palace. Aventura palace which is in Riviera Maya is adults only and awesome but it's mainly couples. I don't really recall seeing any single people.

Edited by twiley

Cancun is shaped like an upside down L. Most of the bars and restaurants start right on the corner of that L and make their way down if that makes sense. Cancun Palace is right in the middle.

Stay out of "old cancun" and stick to that L. It's so heavily commercialized that you won't have any issues finding anything to do.

E2A: I've stayed at Moon Palace and Aventura Palace. Aventura palace which is in Riviera Maya is adults only and awesome but it's mainly couples. I don't really recall seeing any single people.

So Cancun Palace is pretty close to the nightlife?

Ouch, yeah, the wife and I knew we were in another country and we weren't interested in talking to anyone but rather finding our "ride" and getting the heck out of the airport. Those guys were relentless trying to get my attention, I told her to keep her eyes forward and talk to nobody.

Thank you for your input...makes me feel better booking this trip.

I think you're also close to Le Meridien Cancun and the Ritz - two of the nicest hotels in Cancun. I've stayed at Le Meridien .

Go to cancun.com to see how ridiculously commercialized Cancun is. Like I said, you'll have no issues finding things to do.

Have fun. :wacko:

Edited by twiley

I cant wait to hit all those up in a drunken stuper

Color me jealous. Was there 10 years ago and it was a blast. Coco Bongo is nuts. La Boom was another good one. Can't go wrong with Frogs or C&C's. I recommend taking a boat out to Cozumel and partying at the C&C's there, too. That was fun.