[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chemo or not?

rocknrobn26

There will never be a cure for cancer...

Thanks for the expert opinion Dr posty. We'll be sure to look for you next time one of us is faced with a personal crisis of some sort for some uplifting words of encouragement. :wacko:

It's a matter of perception. The older you get, the more people you know and the more time you've had to be exposed to people that have gotten the big C.

Exactly!

Thanks for the expert opinion Dr posty. We'll be sure to look for you next time one of us is faced with a personal crisis of some sort for some uplifting words of encouragement. :wacko:

Thanks, Raj! :D I couldn't have replied w/o blowing out a valve.

FWIW...rr juniorette is on her way so we're waiting on the first call, of many I hope. :D (4.5 weeks)

And again, thanks for allowing me to vent. Thanks for the PM's, emails, and phone calls. I truly needed it., they all helped, and I love this place for the tolerance of one's feelings. :D

Peace.

rr26

Thanks, Raj! :wacko: I couldn't have replied w/o blowing out a valve.

:D Remember that posty was banned after making tasteless jokes about Tillman's death then created 3 extra accounts to try to circumvent that.

:wacko: Remember that posty was banned after making tasteless jokes about Tillman's death then created 3 extra accounts to try to circumvent that.

No I didn't, but that's why you are the valued Huddler that you are, not to mention other countless reasons, my friend!

TY!

My mother in law just finished Chemo for lung cancer about 6 weeks ago. They did scans to see the results and the tumors they were targeting shrunk but new ones emerged. She is in pretty bad shape right now. To answer the question IMO you go for it. If you dont you are sure to die if you do you have a chance. I think people and their loved ones know when it is time to stop trying and let God take someone back. We seem to be coming to that sad reality with my mother in law. We have faith and we are holding out for anything positive but she seems to be shutting down. We wanted her home because she was in the hospital for 6 weeks and was losing her mind. Now she is home and happy to be there. That woman is a brave woman.

My mother in law just finished Chemo for lung cancer about 6 weeks ago. They did scans to see the results and the tumors they were targeting shrunk but new ones emerged. She is in pretty bad shape right now. To answer the question IMO you go for it. If you dont you are sure to die if you do you have a chance. I think people and their loved ones know when it is time to stop trying and let God take someone back. We seem to be coming to that sad reality with my mother in law. We have faith and we are holding out for anything positive but she seems to be shutting down. We wanted her home because she was in the hospital for 6 weeks and was losing her mind. Now she is home and happy to be there. That woman is a brave woman.

May God bless her, Whomp! My thoughts and prayers are coming.

+1000.....

I don't have all that much experience or knowledge to share. However I do have a pretty good friend and golfing buddy who this winter was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer. They found 7 tumors in his brain and one in his lung. I know he has been through both chemo and radiation. We learned last night that after the latest radiation treatments on his brain that now two of the brain tumors have completely disappeared. The other 5 are significantly smaller. The tumor in his lung is also smaller, but from his message it sounds like they were doing the chemo with that one? As he said his Dr has decided to switch the treatment on the lung tumor to radiation since there has been so much improvement with the brain tumors.

Hope all is well with you.

My best buddies wife is going through chemo, radiation and has had surgery. Brain and long involvement. She is mid 30s. It is sooo sad. I talk to him all the time to check in. Hesitantly, I asked the "long term prognosis".

He explained that the cancer is like a smoldering fire. They beat it back and there is about five to seven months of quality life, then they have to go through the whole routine again. Each successive time, the quality time is a little shorter than the previous. Evntually, in "5 to 10 years", the body will not be able to take it anymore, either the treatments or the cancer will wear her out eventually. All they can do is hope something better comes along before it is too late.

I could NOT imagine seeing my children watch their mother go through this. It would kill me slowly as well!

I too hope that there is no "deeper" significance to your post.

On the otherhand, my mother is a breast cancer survivor and has been going strong for 20 years now with no re-occurance!

Adding to my post above, when I was a kid in the 60's, cancer was something that was whispered and not talked about in an "out loud" manner. :wacko:

While the disease, in all its forms, is awful, I can see posty's point.

There are so many types of cancer that I don't know that there will ever be cures for all types.

While I hope I die in my sleep or from some sort of massive heart attack or something else that is pretty quick, since we all will die at some point, one benefit of dying from cancer (to the extent that anything awful can come from that disease) is that it (generally) allows for people to say their goodbyes, tie up their personal affairs, etc. so that those who are left behind aren't left completely caught off guard. Heart attacks or brain anurisms (sp?), not so much.

My best buddies wife is going through chemo, radiation and has had surgery. Brain and long involvement. She is mid 30s. It is sooo sad. I talk to him all the time to check in. Hesitantly, I asked the "long term prognosis".

He explained that the cancer is like a smoldering fire. They beat it back and there is about five to seven months of quality life, then they have to go through the whole routine again. Each successive time, the quality time is a little shorter than the previous. Evntually, in "5 to 10 years", the body will not be able to take it anymore, either the treatments or the cancer will wear her out eventually. All they can do is hope something better comes along before it is too late.

I could NOT imagine seeing my children watch their mother go through this. It would kill me slowly as well!

I too hope that there is no "deeper" significance to your post.

On the otherhand, my mother is a breast cancer survivor and has been going strong for 20 years now with no re-occurance!

Nothing deeper, on my part. I agree w/ everything you said!

There are so many types of cancer that I don't know that there will ever be cures for all types.

While I hope I die in my sleep or from some sort of massive heart attack or something else that is pretty quick, since we all will die at some point, one benefit of dying from cancer (to the extent that anything awful can come from that disease) is that it (generally) allows for people to say their goodbyes, tie up their personal affairs, etc. so that those who are left behind aren't left completely caught off guard. Heart attacks or brain anurisms (sp?), not so much.

Good points! Thanks, bro!

I've seen it help a lot of people. I've seen it not work for a lot of people.

Glad your OK. Always wishing your family the best.

TY, my very good friend! Well appreciated. :wacko:

FWIW, my mother in law has had almost everything there is happen to her besides cancer. She's a miracle of a person but lives in constant pain and has had many bad days during her entire life.

I didn't think that she'd live to see my children and now she's here to see my children's children soon.

Edited by MikesVikes

Success rates are improving each year. I don't know enough about this situation to give you an answer, if there is one.

Life's a beach sometimes. Sorry to hear about the hits in your life Rockn. :wacko:

TY! It is appreciated. I just talked to one of my girl friend cancer victims, and even though she is still going thru chemo she is on a high. This woman hasn't missed a day of work in close to a year, still is doing chemo, and all she had to say was "This thing ain't takin' this old Chermin down! I'm getting my hair back, my eyebrows. See you soon Tommy!". What a woman. God Bless Donna and her hubby George, who I used to wrestle w/ in HS!

I've had two people really close to me die. both were in their late 50s when they went. my grandfather died slowly from cancer, going through chemo and all the rest that absolutely ruined him. that was about 18 years ago. then my stepfather died a couple months ago almost instantly and totally unexpectedly from a heart attack. it's an awful lot to process with no time to prepare, but I am glad I don't have the memories of watching my stepdad slowly being destroyed like I do with pops. better to be caught completely off guard than having it all go in slow motion right in front of your eyes with nothing you can do about it, IMO. I hate the cancer with so much more passion than I do the heart attack.

The way that I look at it, having a chance, no matter how small it may be, is better than having no chance at all. I would only hope that if it happened to me, I would have a couple weeks before the chemo treatments started. That way I could take a trip or do something that I've always wanted to do. I wish I could have done this for my mom, but I was just a broke young man. But in hindsight, she was diagnosed in April and gone in June so there wasn't much time at all. I am actually thankful that she didn't linger very long with her illness. It was painful enough to see her suffer in that short time frame. Cancer sucks. :wacko:

Edited by jaxfactor

I've had two people really close to me die. both were in their late 50s when they went. my grandfather died slowly from cancer, going through chemo and all the rest that absolutely ruined him. that was about 18 years ago. then my stepfather died a couple months ago almost instantly and totally unexpectedly from a heart attack. it's an awful lot to process with no time to prepare, but I am glad I don't have the memories of watching my stepdad slowly being destroyed like I do with pops. better to be caught completely off guard than having it all go in slow motion right in front of your eyes with nothing you can do about it, IMO. I hate the cancer with so much more passion than I do the heart attack.

I didn't see your post before I responded Az. My father died of a heart attack suddenly 7 months before I lost my mom from cancer.

Edited by jaxfactor

And Tom,

Tell her to go for the treatment. What sucks is there's nothing you can physically do to help. You can hope and pray, but it is a very helpless feeling wanting to do more. I know from experience. And I hate to say this, but I'll probably experience it more times in my life and I'm sure I'll feel just as helpless. But you try and be strong for whoever is ill. I'll send some prayers your way.

RR, you had me scared there for a moment. Glad to hear you and Mrs. RR (Have I told you I really like that woman) are ok.... But sorry to hear it's hitting so close to home. If it was me, as painful as Chemo is, If my doctor told me it would give me a better chance, I'd do it.

There will never be a cure for cancer...

I have to disagree with the above posts. Great strides have already been made in cancer treatment and with all the research devoted to finding a cure, I think it is only a matter of time until it is found. As for curing all types of cancer just remember that all cancers have abnormal cell growth in common. Some promising treatments therefore involve targeting these abnormal cells and not affecting our own normal cells. Examples are nanotherapy where nanites are injected which target the abnormal cells and kill them. The same effect is achieved with gene therapy where genetic material is injected into the cancer cells to destroy them. Immunotherapy involving the use of "super" T-cells designed to specifically destroy any type of cancer is also being worked on.

IMO cancer will eventually be beaten.

I just talked to one of my girl friend cancer victims, and even though she is still going thru chemo she is on a high. This woman hasn't missed a day of work in close to a year, still is doing chemo, and all she had to say was "This thing ain't takin' this old Chermin down! I'm getting my hair back, my eyebrows. See you soon Tommy!". What a woman. God Bless Donna and her hubby George, who I used to wrestle w/ in HS!

I am very sorry to read about how cancer is affecting you and those around you, rr! I can only hope and pray for the best for all of them! Stay strong, bud!! :wacko:

Screw that, I hope to die suddenly of massive grabber/anyeurysm on my yacht in the Mediterranean at a fairly healthy 73. While bangin' my 22 year old trophy wife. :wacko:

Edited by Chavez