[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers file tampering charges against Vikes

budlitebrad

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 out of the last 3 seasons, with MUCH better WR's, Favre has had more TD's than INT's once, including an impressive 29 INT performance in 2005. He's thrown 62 INT's over that time period. Now, Tarvaris Jackson may not be the answer, but putting a gun slinger on the downward spiral of his career who's prone to throwing tons of INT's in Childress' offense would not help the Vikings. At all.

You think the Vikes need Favre to embarrass themselves? This franchise has been an embarrassment for many many years.

If you Vike fans honestly think that Favre would not help your team you have proved my theory that you must be idiotic and suicidal to be a Viking fan. Another example of the dumbing down of America.

gbpfan1231 = "CARL GERBSCHMIDT" :wacko:

gbpfan1231 = "CARL GERBSCHMIDT" :wacko:

Carl was on Barriero last night. It was funny as hell. He represents all Packer Fans and has an open letter to Brett Favre. Below is the link...You have to listen to the opening of the show for a 5 minutes or so, but it worth it.

Listen here

Actually it is about 10-15 minutes - It is the second segment.

Edited by Outshined

2 out of the last 3 seasons, with MUCH better WR's, Favre has had more TD's than INT's once, including an impressive 29 INT performance in 2005. He's thrown 62 INT's over that time period. Now, Tarvaris Jackson may not be the answer, but putting a gun slinger on the downward spiral of his career who's prone to throwing tons of INT's in Childress' offense would not help the Vikings. At all.

Exactly.

:wacko:

Carl was on Barriero last night. It was funny as hell. He represents all Packer Fans and has an open letter to Brett Favre. Below is the link...You have to listen to the opening of the show for a 5 minutes or so, but it worth it.

Listen here

Actually it is about 10-15 minutes - It is the second segment.

Vikings fans creating fake Packer fans. :wacko:

You seriously believe these charges have any merit? No inkling that maybe the chedderheads are just trying to deflect some of the attention to another team, or possibly making sure that the Vikings have no interest in obtaining favray by throwing some bogus tampering charges out there?

All you need to look at is the Bears/Niners tampering case. All the Bears had to do was provide the league with a log of phone calls between Briggs agent, Drew Rosenhous and the 49ers during a certain point of the year. If an agent talking to another team is justifiable for penalty, you have to think that a player under contract with team A talking to a coach of Team B during a time when he is having a huge fallout with his team A is very much justifiable. As a Packer fan, I'm all about getting draft picks, but I think it's garbage to dock another team even if it is the Vikings draft picks because your OC is a friend of Favre. That being said, Bevell still has to be smart enough to know the rules and that during this time frame, he can't have any contact with Favre.

Says a Cheesehead :D I don't hear any Packer fans calling for TT's head for not letting Favre back as the starter. Before presenting your post maybe you should look in the mirror :D and :D the first person you see in it. :D

By the way your theory of Viking fans being idiotic and suicidal...nice. You must have had the best seat on the short bus! :wacko:

He's not a cheesehead. He's a misguided jackass. I'm fairly certain he's the same clown that always starts mini race war threads though out the site.

And to that Clown claiming to be a packers fan... People are just ribbing each other because we're homers of rival teams... Telling people to commit suicide is weak, and absolutely uncalled for.

I hope the SF/Bears deal is different in that Bevell and Favre were talking way before he retired. Can the NFL stop friends from talking to each other? What about the Mannings? I'm sure Eli and Peyton talk...

I hope the SF/Bears deal is different in that Bevell and Favre were talking way before he retired. Can the NFL stop friends from talking to each other? What about the Mannings? I'm sure Eli and Peyton talk...

Regardless if they are friends are not, one is on a coaching staff, another is a player. If they've been talking at all in the past few months the Vikings are going to get docked. As far as the Mannings go, that is a different situation... Players can talk to players all they want.

Some commentary on tampering from JSOnline.com:

Did conversations between Favre and the Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, Favre's former quarterbacks coach in Green Bay, really propel Favre out of retirement? Or were there just casual conversations between two old friends, a retired quarterback and his former position coach?

We don't know yet. But we need a definition of tampering and NFL senior vice president of public relations Greg Aiello provided it Thursday morning.

"Out of our anti-tampering policy, the term tampering as used within the NFL refers to any interference by a member club with the employer/employee relationship of another club or any attempt by a club to impermissibly induce the person to seek employment with that club or with the NFL."

Meaning, Bevell and the Vikings can't woo Favre over to the other side. But there's a lot of gray area.

First, Favre's status technically is that he's on the reserved/retired list. It is not like he's an active player. The NFL would have to determine that distinction in the charges. If Favre were to become active, his rights belong to the Packers, as he has three years left on his contract.

Second, it would not be unusual for a retired player to keep in touch with friends who are players and coaches throughout the NFL.

The Packers will have to prove the Vikings violated the tampering rules beyond casual concersations between Favre and his friends. An NFL source told the Journal Sentinel yesterday that the Packers had provided evidence and information about the alleged contact and that the Packers believed it was strong to support their tampering claim.

"Of course, it has to be established," said Aiello. "There are teams that file a tampering charge against another team and then our office reviews it and it turns out there was no tampering, or that there was insufficient evidence to prove that there was tampering. And in most cases, invariably, the team that files the tampering charge believes there was tampering and the other team doesn't believe there was tampering, so gray area? Absolutely. That's why these disputes are resolved by the commissioner or the commissioner's office."

The Packers reportedly have Brett Favre's phone records that included "repeated calls" to Vikings head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Brett, if you're gonna call the head coach of the Vikings, don't use a company cell phone. :wacko:

Hellooo draft pick(s)...

Edited by budlitebrad

The Packers reportedly have Brett Favre's phone records that included "repeated calls" to Vikings head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Brett, if you're gonna call the head coach of the Vikings, don't use a company cell phone. :D

Hellooo draft pick(s)...

That's pretty dumb. :wacko: Maybe he does belong on the Vikings.

:D Maybe it was all a setup.

So there a bunch of calls made to Childress and Bevell. Is that tampering when a player calls another team?

If a lot are and a pattern emerges yeah. They don't need intent. Look at what the NFL did to SF.

Per Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle, the team is “mystified” by the finding. Citing two unnamed sources, Lynch reports that the Niners never actually made contact with Drew Rosenhaus, the agent who represents Briggs, regarding Briggs.

Lynch says that the proof of tampering consisted of a phone record showing phone communications between the Niners and Rosenhaus. That’s it. A source with knowledge of the situation tells us that there were only two short calls to Rosenhaus during the relevant time period.

I agree, it's ridiculous. If a player calls, then the coach should be off the hook. Favre should be the on punished, not the Vikes.

If he's the only one calling I'd agree. Is he? His phone records could list a lot of calls made to him.

Playing devil's advocate...

Maybe Childress told Favre to call him just to play it safe? If they have the phone records, they know how long the calls were. If they talked for a while on several occasions, you can't really say the Vikes are innocent.

Edited by budlitebrad

I'm sure that management spying on their players will cause a virtual stampede of future free agents that will want to wear the green and gold.

Were they spying? Looks like they looked at calls using one of their cell phones.

"Hey this is Childress' number. What's going on here? Why's he calling Brett multiple times?"

So there a bunch of calls made to Childress and Bevell. Is that tampering when a player calls another team?

How long were the calls? If theye were 15 seconds (Brett: Hello, Brad, this is Brett. Brad: Hey Brett. Good to hear from you, but you know I can't talk to you given the circumstances. Catch you later. *click*) I'd agree that there probably isn't much tampering going on.

If the calls were 5 minutes or more? Then both guys ought to know better. And Favre doing it on a company phone, no matter what the length of the calls? Holy crap, that's just stupid.

This almost is getting comical. I can't help but wonder if GB & Favre haven't staged the whole thing just to yank everyone's chain, and in the process decided to put the wood to the Vikes just for some additional fun before Brett finally grabs up his fishin' pole again for good.