[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers file tampering charges against Vikes

budlitebrad

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you did there.

Is it fact that the Vikes called Farve?

Not yet. So far it seems just Vikings and Childress' numbers showed up on Favre company cell phone but I haven't heard if they were sent or received.

I would expect corporations check bills of their top execs as well. If a retired Exxon exec makes a lot of calls to Shell someone would look into it too.

Just read that if Favre was given a "company" cell phone to use while he was playing the Packers may have a Salary Cap violation to deal with!

Just read that if Favre was given a "company" cell phone to use while he was playing the Packers may have a Salary Cap violation to deal with!

Probably one of those spiffy little Green and Yellow jobs with a big “G” on it too

As one league insider told us in the wake of last week’s rumor-based item to this effect, the fact that Favre was using a team-issued cell phone at any time during his career with the Packers would be a violation of the salary cap rules, unless the value of the phone was included within Favre’s total cap number.

It’s not an issue after Favre retired, since his salary is off the books and the Packers can pay him whatever they want. But it’s definitely an issue if Favre was using the phone while an active member of the roster, and if the team didn’t account for the value of that perk in its cap calculations.

What next? :wacko:

Edited by Randall

As one league insider told us in the wake of last week’s rumor-based item to this effect, the fact that Favre was using a team-issued cell phone at any time during his career with the Packers would be a violation of the salary cap rules, unless the value of the phone was included within Favre’s total cap number.

It’s not an issue after Favre retired, since his salary is off the books and the Packers can pay him whatever they want. But it’s definitely an issue if Favre was using the phone while an active member of the roster, and if the team didn’t account for the value of that perk in its cap calculations.

What next? :wacko:

You're right, it shouldn't count. I'm sure they didn't count all the perks Favre and every other player received in college, so why should they hold them accountable in the pros?

Too bad Tice isn't there anymore. He could have bought them off with a few Super Bowl tickets.

In hindsight, Tice is looking more and more like Wayne Fontes to me. Maybe he'll be at Randy Moss's Hall of Fame ceremony.

The latest: Favre did not have Packers phone

July 24th, 2008 – 11:05 AM by Judd Zulgad MANKATO — So did Brett Favre talk to Vikings officials on a cell phone that was owned by the Green Bay Packers?

A report earlier this week in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said Favre was using a Packers cell phone and that provided strong evidence of tampering by the Vikings. However, the Green Bay Press Gazette has a story today that refutes the Milwaukee report. “Contrary to several well publicized media reports, two sources — one in the NFL, another close to Favre — said Favre does not have a cell phone issued by the Packers.”

The Packers, of course, have filed a tampering charge against the Vikings for talking to Favre. Meanwhile, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell appears to be applying pressure to the Packers to shop Favre around the league and bring an end to an ugly situation.

Vikings coach Brad Childress, asked Wednesday about the reports he had talked to Favre, said: “You can’t believe everything you read, but that’s an NFL matter. I’m not going to touch that one.”

Childress will hold a pre-training camp news conference this afternoon. The Vikings start practicing at 9 a.m. Friday.

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story referred to above: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p...=nletter-sports

Favre does not have team-issued phone, sources say

By Pete Dougherty • pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com • July 23, 2008

Whatever evidence the Green Bay Packers have of the Minnesota Vikings’ alleged tampering with quarterback Brett Favre, it does not include records from a team-issued cell phone for Favre.

Contrary to several well publicized media reports, two sources — one in the NFL, another close to Favre — said Favre does not have a cell phone issued by the Packers.

“One-hundred percent, without a doubt, no Packers-issued phone,” said the source close to Favre.

The Packers have filed tampering charges against the Vikings for allegedly having conversations with Favre about coming out of retirement and playing for Minnesota. That would violate NFL tampering rules, because though Favre is on the reserve/retired list he still is under contract with the Packers, and while officials from other teams can talk to him or any other player, they can’t talk about him joining their team.

The Packers reportedly cited numerous conversations between Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Favre in the weeks leading up to Favre’s request for his release July 11 — Bevell was Favre’s quarterbacks coach with the Packers from 2003-05 — and also conversations between Favre and Vikings coach Brad Childress. At least two media reports recently said the Packers’ evidence for those calls are records they have from a phone the team gave Favre.

However, the two sources said Favre doesn’t have a phone paid for by the team — that would violate NFL salary-cap rules unless the Packers included the cost on their salary cap — and by all indications no players have a team-issued phone. Thus, the Packers don’t have access to any of Favre’s phone records and will have to rely on the NFL to review the Vikings’ phone records in its investigation to help substantiate their charges.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that members of the NFL’s security team were at the Vikings’ headquarters on Tuesday to investigate the tampering charges. The Vikings would be subject to a fine and/or the loss of draft picks if the league finds them guilty of tampering.

Brett says he wasn't enticed.

Define enticing Brett. Did they say "You know Brett we're only a good QB away from winning a SB."

"Brett you'd look good in purple lifting the Lombardi Trophy" :wacko:

Brett would that entail enticing?

:wacko: He posted several times in the past telling Vikings fans to commit sucide.

It might be symantecs or misunderstanding but I don't ever recall telling someone to committ suicide and if I did I seriously apologize for that.

I guess my attempt at a bit of humor intending to say that if I was a Viking fan I would be suicidal or I would have committed suicide was a poor attempt at humor. If I did tell someone to committ suicide or if anyone took my comments that way that was not my intention and I am sorry for that. That attempt at humor will not rear it's ugly head again.

It might be symantecs or misunderstanding but I don't ever recall telling someone to committ suicide and if I did I seriously apologize for that.

I guess my attempt at a bit of humor intending to say that if I was a Viking fan I would be suicidal or I would have committed suicide was a poor attempt at humor. If I did tell someone to committ suicide or if anyone took my comments that way that was not my intention and I am sorry for that. That attempt at humor will not rear it's ugly head again.

I agree.

Vikings fans deserve to suffer. Suicide is the easy way out from following that team.

BTW - way to be a suzuki & cave into pressure when anyone here should have known (except Vikings' fans, I guess. Probably something to do with the retardation that occurs that makes one a Vikes' fan in the first place) that you were kidding.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Need to make sure this announcement is seen by everyone amidst all the other Favre crap...

-- Vikings Cleared of Tampering Charges --

Mon Aug 4, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

#

ESPN reports the Minnesota Vikings have been cleared of any tampering charges related to Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre.

I believe an apology is in order! :wacko:

Need to make sure this announcement is seen by everyone amidst all the other Favre crap...

#

ESPN reports the Minnesota Vikings have been cleared of any tampering charges related to Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre.

I believe an apology is in order! :wacko:

Goodell probably made Chilly lie about the Packers contacting him about a trade as a condition of the clearance of the tampering charges to help the Packers save some face.

#

I believe an apology is in order! :D

Goodell :wacko: Packers

Make that a 7th round DC Mr. Thompson and a warm six pack of Leinenkugels for the Hillbilly