[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ring Around the Collar

Atlanta Cracker

Seems that my white dress shirts acquire a yellowish brown tint around the collar that doesn't even come out when I take them to the cleaners. I plan to wash the whole lot of them tonight in hot water with bleach but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to treat the stains with before doing so?

Are you wearing your shirts more than once between washes. When I was just out of college and poor, I didn't have two dozen dress shirts like I do now, and I was wearing them two days in a row. This really took its toll on the collars. If you are taking them to the cleaners and they are not getting them clean, go to a different one.

As far as now, no problems and the wife uses Tide

The other thing about taking them to the cleaners AC......don't ask for any starch. There is so much starch built up in those machines, that you get light starch anyway. And the starch builds up in the fabric, especially in the collars and cuffs. Ever have shirts where the bodies look fine for their age......but the collar and cuffs seem lumpy or the facing seems to be bunching up? Starch is settling in there.

def. Facing: a lightweight fabric sewn or iron adhered between two pieces of fabric to make the whole piece stiffer.

And starch absorbs stain more easily.

Pretreat with something like wisk or era or spray and wash (a lot of people swear by OxyClean), but any 'degreaser'....you can use an old toothbrush to work it in a bit. Then throw them in the wash....cold water. Cold water dissolves the starch too, oddly enough. You can let them soak in the washer overnight, but I find that leaves them a bit dingy. Like sitting too long in dirty bathwater....lol.

They should come clean with one time through this process. Better fabric technology these days. But you may have to do it twice.

Are yours blends or 100% cotton? If 100% cotton, use a very small 1/4 cup of bleach for whites only. Don't dry them all the way....take them out and iron them when still a touch moist. (Not damp...just not bone dry)

See? Working at Huntington Clothiers for 3 years made me a bit more useful. :wacko:

Edited by SteelBunz

The other thing about taking them to the cleaners AC......don't ask for any starch. There is so much starch built up in those machines, that you get light starch anyway. And the starch builds up in the fabric, especially in the collars and cuffs. Ever have shirts where the bodies look fine for their age......but the collar and cuffs seem lumpy or the facing seems to be bunching up? Starch is settling in there.

def. Facing: a lightweight fabric sewn or iron adhered between two pieces of fabric to make the whole piece stiffer.

Pretreat with something like wisk or era or spray and wash (a lot of people swear by OxyClean), but any 'degreaser'....you can use an old toothbrush to work it in a bit. Then throw them in the wash....cold water. Cold water dissolves the starch too, oddly enough. You can let them soak in the washer overnight, but I find that leaves them a bit dingy. Like sitting too long in dirty bathwater....lol.

They should come clean with one time through this process. Better fabric technology these days. But you may have to do it twice.

Are yours blends or 100% cotton? If 100% cotton, use a very small 1/4 cup of bleach for whites only. Don't dry them all the way....take them out and iron them when still a touch moist. (Not damp...just not bone dry)

See? Working at Huntington Clothiers for 3 years made me a bit more useful. :wacko:

And there you have it. This must have been why I had the problem

She's domestic, and knows football. I don't care what she looks like - :divingboard: