[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the most overrated rock band of all time?

millerx

Early REM is awesome. I'll bet the same people think "Nevermind" was the height of musical achievement.

Hell, even early U2 didn't make my ears bleed because I gouged them out with a #2 pencil to stop the pain of Bono.

Edited by TimC

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ramones

I mean, these guys sound like a horrible garage band. And lyrics? What lyrics. "I wanna be sedated"....Why dn't you just eat the whole bottle of pills and do me a favor. "Beat on the brat with a baseball bat"...How 'bout I beat on your head silly. Then you can OD on the pills and do the world a favor. I absolutely hate these dudes. Talentless a-holes who happened to get lucky. How the hell did that happen anyway?

dude, that is all of rock music in a nutshell. nirvana wrung as much out of that formula as anyone. they were a great band.

anyone who says the rolling stones is out of their gord. they wrote some of the best songs in rock and roll, and they played the chit out of them. mick jagger may make you want to punch him in the face, but he is hands down one of the two or three top rock vocalists ever without a doubt. keith richards may be insane as an old man, talking about cutting his dad's ashes with some coke and all the rest, but he laid down some of the most kickass guitar licks ever. you can't really overrate a band like that.

I can see why some people would say REM, because a lot of the times peoples' perception of them is shaped by their mediocre late 80s chit that made them really popular. their best records sold poorly and their worst records sold well, and you can see how that would make some people view them as overrated. but I don't think they EVER got the hype of U2, and their first several albums just blow anything U2 ever did completely out of the water.

rush, springsteen and the sex pistols are good calls. the sex pistols just sound crappy to me, and I actually like some of john lydon's later work. the clash and the ramones were soooooo much better bands than the sex pistols.

If we're talking just overrated, pretty much all the above is true. If we're talking talentless (and that's not what the thread is supposed to be about) then the above is very arguable.

to me, they're like KISS and spinal tap. more of a joke than a real band. kinda pointless to call them "overrated".

Exactly. Add Aerosmith to Kiss and Van Halen.

I can see why some people would say REM, because a lot of the times peoples' perception of them is shaped by their mediocre late 80s chit that made them really popular. their best records sold poorly and their worst records sold well, and you can see how that would make some people view them as overrated. but I don't think they EVER got the hype of U2, and their first several albums just blow anything U2 ever did completely out of the water.

I think this could be true as I'm one of the people who never understood the hype they were getting. Orange Crush? I just didn't get it. I do think they were hyped a lot at that time. I distinctly remember DJs labeling them as one of the best ever, but I always found myself turning the dial. What would you recommend to the doubters?

I think this could be true as I'm one of the people who never understood the hype they were getting. Orange Crush? I just didn't get it. I do think they were hyped a lot at that time. I distinctly remember DJs labeling them as one of the best ever, but I always found myself turning the dial. What would you recommend to the doubters?

murmur, fables of the reconstruction, document, reckoning.

I'm amazed at some of the classic bands being mentioned. They deserve every accolade even now.

Poison has to be the most overrated band in the history of sound. They weren't even a good hair band, let alone deserving of renewed tour dates because the lead singer wants to get his willie wet on MTV.

Close second... Bon Jovi. Ugh.

Hugely popular and absolutely not deserving.

+1

I don't know how you can put down The Stones, KISS and the Grateful Dead when there are bands like Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Dokken or Winger out there to choose from.

+1

I don't know how you can put down The Stones, KISS and the Grateful Dead when there are bands like Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Dokken or Winger out there to choose from.

Overrated means you have to be somewhat renowned to be considered. The bolded were generic hairbands. Although George Lynch of Dokken and Warren Demartini of Ratt are excellent guitar players

I will never understand Van Halen haters. Some music isnt meant to be deep and have social commentary. Some music is meant to be blasted while pounding beers with your friends. I would put Van Halen I up against anything. The sound / energy / innovation in that guitar playing is unbeleivable. Before you start tripping over yourselves to bring up Page and Hendrix et al I realize they were innovators as well. Hendrix is in a league of his own as far as innovation but Eddie gave birth to a new breed of Guitar players. After Van Halen came out everyone was tapping and doing pick harmonics and trying to capture his sound. The old school guitar legends always stay true and deserve all the respect they get but I consider Eddie Van Halen one of the most innovative guitar players of all time and a living legend. Couple that with an incredible front man in Roth and an insane rythym section and you have a tremendous Rock band. I am not speaking of the new stuff. VH1, II, Fair Warning 1984, Diver Down , great stuff

I will never understand Van Halen haters. Some music isnt meant to be deep and have social commentary. Some music is meant to be blasted while pounding beers with your friends. I would put Van Halen I up against anything. The sound / energy / innovation in that guitar playing is unbeleivable. Before you start tripping over yourselves to bring up Page and Hendrix et al I realize they were innovators as well. Hendrix is in a league of his own as far as innovation but Eddie gave birth to a new breed of Guitar players. After Van Halen came out everyone was tapping and doing pick harmonics and trying to capture his sound. The old school guitar legends always stay true and deserve all the respect they get but I consider Eddie Van Halen one of the most innovative guitar players of all time and a living legend. Couple that with an incredible front man in Roth and an insane rythym section and you have a tremendous Rock band. I am not speaking of the new stuff. VH1, II, Fair Warning 1984, Diver Down , great stuff

+1 I've always dug Van Halen but not in some sort of rock icon way.

Also, not only was Eddie an innovator, his accomplishments have been tainted by all the annoying imitators that came along since. That he inspired a sub-generation of losers with no artistic ability that just regurgitate hammer-ons and arpeggios is not his fault. None the less, it's hard to enjoy songs like Eruption as much now that we've heard 1,000 versions of the same thing done by so many nimrods with hair extensions.

6 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

6 Members: detlef, TimC, Furd, Easy n Dirty, fingfootball, whomper

Ruh roh, the Grateful Dead bashing is not going to go over very well with somebody, me thinks.