[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comparing LCD HDTV Brands

kpholmes

Looking at LCD HDTVs in the $1000 range, so something in the range of 42".

What are some opinions on mainstream brands; Vizio, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, etc...

The one we're looking at from Circuit City is a Toshiba.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

What are some opinions on mainstream brands; Vizio, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, etc...

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Samsung!

Slow menus but a great picture!

I love my LG LCD. No problems at all, and it looked great in side-by-side comparison to the Samsung I saw.

a good portion of the newer LG's have crapped out...

and the contrast ratio on the Samsung is superior to an LG....it just has to be calibrated...

Vizio is terrible with their contrast ratio....Samsung > Sony....because they are pretty much the same sets except the Samsung will have more features while being $100-$200 cheaper...

I have a Sony Bravia LCD in my basement and a Panasonic Plasma in my main living room. The Plasma blows the LCD away IMHO.

The plasma tv's also require a lot more attention and have to be maintained... They're also a lot more fragile than an LCD. They do however have a true black, which is something LCD's can't do.

KP, I just bought a tv a few weeks ago and did a ton of research on just about every brand. Hit me up on aim and I'll help you out.

a good portion of the newer LG's have crapped out...

That has not been my experience.

We got the 42" two years ago and have been consistently happy. It was about $500 cheaper than the similar Samsung at the time and we couldn't tell a difference either :wacko: Looks great when we use it hooked up to our PC.

That has been my experience (except at 37").

The plasma tv's also require a lot more attention and have to be maintained... They're also a lot more fragile than an LCD. They do however have a true black, which is something LCD's can't do.

KP, I just bought a tv a few weeks ago and did a ton of research on just about every brand. Hit me up on aim and I'll help you out.

Fragile? Please elaborate. Even if it were "fragile," while its hanging immobilized on my wall I don't see what could happen to it.

I've got a 46" Sony Bravia LCD in the bedroom and a 56" Samsung DLP in the living room. I'd have to say both are soooo close in picture quality that it'd almost be an individual preference. I probably give the Sony a small edge because of sound quality. The Samsung speakers are kind of tiny IMO. Now that I've got the home theatre in a box Samsung sells, the sound quality is much better.

The other annoying thing is the volume control with DirecTV. It may not seem like much, but to increase the volume on my Samsung requires you to press the up/down button for each "click" of volume. You can't just hold it down and it scrolls up or down like the Sony. PITA seriously.

If it's a choice, I'd say price would be the deciding factor. I've always been a Sony fanboy, but the Samsung is a sweet TV. You really can't go wrong with either...I'd leave up to the individual eye.

Edit: We had a Vizio in the hotel room we stayed in. It was very nice and I understand the price is pretty good compared to Sony/Samsung. I wouldn't say it is as good, but if the price difference is extreme, it would definitely be an option. Unless money is no option, balla :wacko:.

Edited by TimC

This is in my price range. But not in my house size. Anyone know if this is a good deal?

Olivea reviews of other models that I've seen say no. I have been extremely unimpressed when seeing them in person. They are a low-quality bargain basement brand thus far, IMO.

Olivea reviews of other models that I've seen say no. I have been extremely unimpressed when seeing them in person. They are a low-quality bargain basement brand thus far, IMO.

That's good to know, otherwise I would've had to knock down a wall or two to watch tv.

I have a Sony Bravia LCD in my basement and a Panasonic Plasma in my main living room. The Plasma blows the LCD away IMHO.

I've got a Sony Tube HDTV 30", Panasonic Plasma 42" and a Samsung LCD 32". Panasonic has the best pictureby far. Sporting events in particular are awesome. Samsung is also good, but like mentioned before, the menus are slow as he//. After some initial reservations regarding burn-in, I've had no problems with the plasma. I just don't leave it on the same channel with a sport/stock ticker running all day.

If your're intent on an LCD, I'd go Samsung. Look at a Panny if you're still open to plasma.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Bottom line: If you get it, you will be happy.

None of what we say really matters. You have to look at them side by side and decide for yourself which you think looks better. Just be sure you ask a sales associate to put them on the factory preset settings. Some stores jack up certain picture settings in the store and you will not be using those settings at home. You should not have quality control issues with Tosh, Sony, and Samsung.

:wacko: Toshibas are basically a very good all-around performer, but Sonys and top Samsungs will generally be slightly superior in picture quality. If you are on a tight budget and can't go higher, the Tosh is probably for you. I bought a 32" model three years ago and I am very, very happy with it.

The one problem I have with Samsung is that there is variation between models of the same size. Some, frankly are average. So, you have to do your research and know what you are buying more than other brands. Sonys, you just buy and forget about it. You know you have a good one. The Sony, XBR model LCDs are absolutely my favorite, but they are also the most expensive.

Not true at all- besides a minor break-in period if you want to do it right- there is zero maintenance with a quality plasma -

LCD and Plasma both have their pluses,

Sports look much better on a Plasma

Edited by wildcat2334

We have a plasma TV here at work that the ESPN logo is burned in from keeping it on all day, every day. It's very annoying and one of the main reasons I avoided plasma. Also, I understand it sucks if you want to do any gaming on it. But I do understand plasma has a sweet picture, if that's not a concern.