[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 Year old kid told he cant play baseball

whomper

The pussification of America continues IMO

League Bans Child for Being 'Too Good'By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, AP

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (Aug. 25) - Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player - too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Heat on Youth Baseball League

Douglas Healey, AP4 photos A youth baseball league in New Haven, Conn. banned nine-year-old Jericho Scott from pitching in games because he throws a 40 mph fastball that scares players just learning the game. When Scott pitched despite the ban, league officials promised to... Heat on Youth Baseball League

A youth baseball league in New Haven, Conn. banned nine-year-old Jericho Scott from pitching in games because he throws a 40 mph fastball that scares players just learning the game. When Scott pitched despite the ban, league officials promised to disband his team and redistribute the players among other teams.

"I feel sad. I feel like it's my fault nobody could play," said Scott of the league's ruling. Both the pitcher's coach and league officials acknowledged that he has never hit an opposing batter. "Facing that kind of speed" is frightening said league attorney Peter Noble.

Wilfredo Vidro, pictured here, has resigned as coach of the Will Power Fitness team. "He's on target all the time." said Vidro of his pitcher. "How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

Nicole Scott, seen here hugging her son Jericho, has also denounced the league's decision. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it," Scott said. League officials claim she became irate and threatened to have the league shut down when her son was banned from pitching.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frighteneing for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Edited by whomper

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in little league, it was regular practice to promote kids who were better than anyone else to the next age group.

It seems like with 9 year olds, the goal should be to have fun, not to pummell the other kids into submission by doing something the league specifically asked you not to do.

Is this really pussification? Or is this another example of ultra-competitive parents pushing their very young children to win at all costs? The kids are only 9. What lesson was taught by putting the kid on the mound after being asked not to?

When I was in little league, it was regular practice to promote kids who were better than anyone else to the next age group.

It seems like with 9 year olds, the goal should be to have fun, not to pummell the other kids into submission by doing something the league specifically asked you not to do.

Is this really pussification? Or is this another example of ultra-competitive parents pushing their very young children to win at all costs? The kids are only 9. What lesson was taught by putting the kid on the mound after being asked not to?

I dont remember lawyers getting involved when I was a kid and we faced a kid that was better than us. I had a friend that was nicknamed "Mr No Hitter" He threw back to back no hitters one of which was a perfect game. He also threw heat and a nasty curve at age 10. We never asked not to face him. You took your hacks and hopefully learned from facing someone so good.

No one is getting pummeled into submission and no one is getting hurt. Asking the kid not to pitch is the crime here IMO. Its not about his parents looking to win at all costs. Its about his parents wanting their son to not be punished because he is good.

Sounds to me like an exemption should be made to let the kid move up IMO. It's not really fair to tell him he can't pitch. I'm sure the mother overreacted and that's a shame cause she's not teaching her son anything by getting him involved in the mess and media.

Read about this earlier today, I am amazed at the stupidity of this league.

"Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators."

This might be the most telling statement of the article.

I have coached 9-10 year old baseball for 12 years and I have coached /faced kids that can throw 40 plus MPH and did not have the control this kid seems to have. My kids knew that if they got a hit off the pitcher id was HUGH! They wanted to face that pitcher!! Plus our pitchers can only pitch 3 inning of a 6 inning game so for three innings you face a lessor pitcher. ( I coached a kid whose strike out ration was .963, he gave up 2 hits all season, 45 innings pitched) Yes we won the championship, but he didn't win it by himself, the other 11 kids had to hit, field, throw extra. No other team complained...

If I was a parent on the team who left the field I would pull my kid from the team. What are you teaching the kids? Hey if someone is better than you don't play against them, we don't want you to feel bad!! I would want my kid to face the best, that's how you get better.

As far as this kid moving up to the next age group, he may be a great pitcher, but his batting might not be at the level of a higher age group and he would be facing better pitching...should he walk off the field?

Too bad for the kid, hopefully he sticks with baseball and it stays fun for him.

the lesson was that we don't want our pussily kids to have to face a kid who can actually pitch. If it's too hard to do something lets make it easier so little Jonnie can feel good about himself. Maybe the league should just use a tee!!!!

Also just because the kid can pitch doesn't mean he can bat and field with the higher level kids. There is a big difference between 9 yea olds and 11/12 year olds.

How fast do most 9 yr olds pitch? I really have no idea.

Hard to say but usually around 30 to 35MPH. At that age it should be just fast balls. The real issue is that the mound is closer to the plate... so it gets there quicker. If you watch the LLWS they will show the pitch speed and then the MLB equivalant.

Back in the 70's, the kid that used to pitch for us eventually made it to the Olympic team. No one could barely touch him. We didn't cry about it, we didn't scream about it. Parents didn't really worry too much about it. We stepped up and tried our best. I don't think I ever got a hit off the kid. The only reason I remember it is because he lived down the street and was an awesome kid and friend.

Parents today suck hard.

The kid isn't going to improve at all if he just keeps destroying everyone else.

Just bump him up to an older age group/more competitive league.

I agree with this and Atomic's point. The whole age grouping works to a point, but when a kid or two is obviously heads and shoulders above the rest of the league, move them to a higher bracket. It's better for the kids development anyways. What good is it doing to see him mow down everyone that comes up to the plate down everygame. Play in a league equivalent to your talent, regardless of age.

Of course, the coach of the team who forfeited is an idiot. While I may not agree with the kid pitching, put your guys up there to try. What in the hell did they learn by walking away from the challenge. It would have been a good opportunity to teach them how to deal with adversity. He only taught them not to face it head on.

Edited by Puddy

Your first part is spot on. Your second part is part of the Pussification of America.

I think the link about he was asked to join the team sponsored by one of the league execs (he wasn't pitching too hard if he joined that squad) tells me there's more than meets the eye to this story.

We had A,B and C leagues when I was a kid and the age range was a couple of years. But the talent of the players was distrubuted. I didn't play on a team of 9 year olds. I played on teams with a mix of ages and equitable talent - or lack of at thata age.

The kid isn't going to improve at all if he just keeps destroying everyone else.

Just bump him up to an older age group/more competitive league.

Again the older age group will have a whole other set of circumstances for this kid, the mound is farther back, he will be facing competition that is more mature physically and mentally. Plus the fun of little league is hanging with your friends. The other teams need to grow some nuts...

Again he shouldnot be pitching the entire game (our league rule is 3 innings per game and 9 inning per week)

If he was playing for the team that wanted him orginally, would he have been banned???

Also, if there is a kid who is a great hitter do they not let him bat???

Also, if there is a kid who is a great hitter do they not let him bat???

I am not saying the league should necessarily legislate that the kid shouldn't play. But the parents should recognize that my kid has a special talent (or is simply developing faster than most) and put him in a league that is challenging. So if the kid in your hypothetical question is crushing all the pitchers and batting .800, then yeah....he should probably move up too.

Your first part is spot on. Your second part is part of the Pussification of America.

Do you have a 9 year old? You can't even start Tee ball until you're 8 years old in my county. This is not supposed to be super-competitive. I remember playing on a "minor league" team with nerds and girls on it, and they had fun. Let's not scare them into the world of role-playing games and barbies at quite such an early age. There's plenty of time for that.

as someone said moving up might not be completely fair either...just because he can pitch fast doesn't mean he has the rest of the fundamentals needed to move up

Then where is your argument for "suck it up and play against the better kid" now?

Kick the parents and coaches out and the kids will have a great time no matter the score. We're talking 9 year olds here. They'd be better off without adult supervision...if this is the kind of stuff they are going to get from the adults.

I've read some more about this. When the kid was goign to pitch even though they asked him not to, the opposing team forfeited the game instead of playing against him.

Nice message. If something is too hard, just quit.

We went through girl's softball for around 10 years....it's pretty bad out there. There really should be some sort of test before having a kid.

and thats what sucks. i will be my sons coach for the sake of knowing he is in good hands with me. but knowing what awaits with stupid, overly competitive, coddling, a tasty morsel parents is scary. i think there is a middle ground between pussification and being too competitve. its the nuts outside the bell curve that need to get kicked.

Edited by dmarc117

I remember playing on a "minor league" team with nerds and girls on it, and they had fun.

:D loser

ya know, the thing that struck me about that article is how all the a tasty morsel parents don't want the kids to be "scared". man, fear is part of the whole experience. I remember being scared chitless in my first baseball leagues. being scared chitless facing a stud pitcher who literally struck out every hitter he faced. or playing third base when we had a lousy pitcher in and the other team had a stud right handed hitter up. I can't remember how old I was in my first baseball league, but I know I took a line drive in the face playing the hot corner that knocked a couple teeth out and they grew back, so it must've been pretty young (we never had t-ball). but yeah, you can't get the most out of the experience without some fear entering the equation -- because then you have the opportunity to overcome that fear. one of my most vivid memories of pee wee baseball was facing a pitcher who was blowing us away, being scared of the heat he was throwing, but then connecting right through the sweet spot for a line drive into the gap. now that, my friends, is a feeling of pure elation. without that tinge of fear going in, it's just meh, another hit, good for me, I rock at minor league atomic loser-ball :wacko::D

T-Ball at 8??? In California t-ball is at 5. Kids are pitching at 7 or 9 depending on what your leagues rules are.

40 isn't all that fast for a 9yr old really. The league is missing the point that the other kids will get better by facing a guy who can pitch a little. Couple yrs ago, kid on my team was 13 and throwing mid 80's then. beginning of year nobody was really hitting him. By the end of the year he was getting hit a little bit.

I know when I ran the league I put in pitching limits to protect pitcher's arms and to make it where 1 guy couldn't dominate the whole game. Initially that rule was me with resistance but it was well received the following year.