[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 Year old kid told he cant play baseball

whomper

furd raises a good point........Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian is with coed leagues?!!??!

Probably the work of some lawyer

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a co-ed league. This kid wants to twirl against 8 year old girls and some of you are cursing America. :D

Sack up, lil' Jericho and find a more competitive league.

Your statement indicates ignorance or chauvinism :wacko:

Co-ed only means girls are allowed to play. Same as the league I coach in. Many parents put their girls in the league because they want them to go against better competition. (if you have ever witnessed a 8-12 old girls softball league you will know what I'm talking about) plus not all cities have youth fast pitch softball teams for the girls. I have coached a number of girls who have gone on to play high schooll fast pitch softball, they get great fundamentals playing little league baseball. I had a girl on my team last year, she was tiny and could not hit the ball out of the infield. I taught her to slap the ball down the 3rd base line (she batted left handed and she would beat out the throw from third) she got hits off the best pitchers in the league.

The bottom line is that this kid was told he could not do something because he was too good!! That is crap! If he had played for the team that was sponsored by the board members employer he would not have been sanctioned.

I would assume that you believe Michael Phelps should no longet be allowed to swim or Bolt should be banned from running

Why can't there be different levels of competition?

If you're that good, you move to the next level. If you stay, you're sandbagging and you'd get called out. At least that's how it was in mtb racing.

I don't know what mtb racing is but having different levels of 10 year old baseball is not really feasible. It would be mighty hard to field a team on each level unless the league was huge.

The system has worked for a very long time in little league baseball. I don't see why a bunch of pansy parents should change it now. We had All-Stars in the summer to compete at a higher level. The kid should get to play with his friends.

When I was 9 or 10, the two best pitchers in our Little League were left-handers who threw heat (9 or 10 year old heat).

We just happened to play them both on the "lighted diamond" which was the adult softlball field w/ lights and softball fences, and stands. This was the field you wanted to play on.

I hit a homerun off each of them. Pretty nice when you're that age to hit one over the fence, especially against the "star pitchers"

Glory Days!

As far as I know, you don't hold back a kid that can't field or hit a ball. You just keep letting them ride the bench, err play.

Imagine if Team America forfeited and went home when the Chinese "13 year old" proved to be better than our gymnasts.

I can see league politics coming into play, parents can be evil and vindictive. Have definitely seen parents stack their teams.

I was part of a football team that went undefeated.

I can tell you that we definitely felt as if the league refs were trying to make us lose (in protest, we turned our backs on the final play of a game to allow the opposing team to score). I can see how being 8-0 in Little League, with a superstar player, could make other parents over react. I'm sure it sucks to be playing half a year and the best you can hope for is a 2nd place finish.

Shades of Harrison Bergeron at play (Kurt Vonnegut reference).

Edited by Riffraff

Why does this statement hold true to you in regards to the kid playing up but not hold true in regards to the kids his age getting better playing against him?

Thats a simple one, Whomp....because I would guess 99.9% of 9-year olds aren't going to touch a 40 MPH fastball.

BAs a parent, I know you know that damaging a child's fragile confidence would do more damage to the majority of the league's players than the boost it would give to the .01% of those that happen to foul off a pitch.

If the kid's as good as they say, he'll have success at the next level...and get better playing with better players. I don't think the other 9-year olds are going to get better waving at fastballs they can't touch. Chances are more will feel discouraged than encouraged.

And again, at this age, its all about having fun and building confidence. I don't see either of those occuring.

If this was a competitive league, or they were of an older age and could better understand that some players are better than others, than my argument would have much less weight.

Geex, these are 9-year olds little boys were talking about her, right?

There is much more to be lost than gained by keeping him in his current role.

My main question: why not move him up? Wouldn't his parents be even more proud of him, and he of himself? I'd be filling my shorts if my 8-year old was good enough to be asked to play an age-group higher. Wouldn't this be a win-win for everyone?

Exactly. If these parents would spend as much time practicing with their kid as they do bitching, their kid could hit a 40 mph fastball.

So your saying that, in today's real-world enviornment of dual working parents and over-filled schedules, that 9-year old boys who's parents have to juggle quite a bit and can't prepare them enough for 40-MPH fastballs (which are almost unheard of at this level) should be left behind?

I hope your trying to be funny.

Think of how proud your kid would be if he was able to somehow score a hit off of this un-hittbale 9 year old ace. You never know unless you try.

If the ace strikes your kid out, then maybe 20 years later he'll have a cool story about how the MLB Cy Young winner struck him out when he was 9 years old. Or maybe he'll have a much lamer story about how his parents forced his team to quit the game against the MLB Cy Young winner.

My main question: why not move him up? Wouldn't his parents be even more proud of him, and he of himself? I'd be filling my shorts if my 8-year old was good enough to be asked to play an age-group higher. Wouldn't this be a win-win for everyone?

The main problem I see is at that age he wants to play with his friends. I know my son would of probably not wanted to play with kids he didn't know.

The fun if playing was being with friends.

One more question:

If there is an academically superior child relative to his classmates, should be held at a level of his peers, or moved on to a higher grade that is more appropriate to his skills?

Seems an apples-to-apples comparison....do those that think the pitcher should be left to pitch at his current level also beleive a genius 9-year old should be kept in the average 9-year-old curriculum?

The main problem I see is at that age he wants to play with his friends. I know my son would of probably not wanted to play with kids he didn't know.

The fun if playing was being with friends.

Valid point well taken, and should be weighed in the overall evaluation of the situation by the league officials for sure.

Your statement indicates ignorance or chauvinism :wacko:

Co-ed only means girls are allowed to play. Same as the league I coach in. Many parents put their girls in the league because they want them to go against better competition. (if you have ever witnessed a 8-12 old girls softball league you will know what I'm talking about) plus not all cities have youth fast pitch softball teams for the girls. I have coached a number of girls who have gone on to play high schooll fast pitch softball, they get great fundamentals playing little league baseball. I had a girl on my team last year, she was tiny and could not hit the ball out of the infield. I taught her to slap the ball down the 3rd base line (she batted left handed and she would beat out the throw from third) she got hits off the best pitchers in the league.

The bottom line is that this kid was told he could not do something because he was too good!! That is crap! If he had played for the team that was sponsored by the board members employer he would not have been sanctioned.

I would assume that you believe Michael Phelps should no longet be allowed to swim or Bolt should be banned from running

Co-ed means that girls are allowed to play? Look at the big brain on Brad.

Let's begin with the ridiculous, (which is even more ludicrous than the likes of you calling me ignorant) your Olympics analogy. The Olympics are the pinnacle of competition. While there is certainly an element of sportsmanship and perhaps fun, the main goal is to compete against the very best, and win. Oh, and by the way, with the exception of certain gymnasts, we are talking about adults.

Let's contrast this with a co-ed baseball team of 8-10 year old children. Is the main goal to compete against the very best and win? Or is it to have some fun and learn some sportsmanship in a structured activity? It does not appear that we have all of the facts to make an accurate determination of this. But from the information available to us, which includes the reactions of parents and coaches involved in this league, it appears that this league is more about fun than competition. I think that the inclusion of girls in the league affirms this.

Do I think that it is admirable for the league to ban the guy from pitching? No. (He is not precluded from playing other positions, thus he can "play with his friends." But it ain't my league, and if the purpose of the league is to have fun, ol' Jericho ain't helping the cause from the mound.

Do I think that it is admirable for Jericho to stay in a league in which he clearly outclasses the other boys and girls? No (assuming that there are other alternatives.)

I'm sure that we can all wax poetic about our ultracompetitive little league careers in which we raked a single off of the local Goose Gossage, which transformed us into men. But this doesn't seem like that kind of league, and I'm willing to bet that Jericho and his family knew that before he got involved in it.

So I'm not going to get bent out of shape about this either way.

Co-ed means that girls are allowed to play? Look at the big brain on Brad.

his point being, it's not "coed" in the sense of driveby's slow-pitch softball team, it's coed in the sense there's not a separate girls team so if they want to play they have to join the boys team. in other words, it doesn't mean watered down competition.

If I didn't like my kid facing 40mph fast balls then I'd just pull my kid out out of the league: not ban the pitcher. Course, I'd probably leave the decision up to my kids.

And if this is supposed to be a "fun" league that isn't too serious or competitive, fine. But it doesn't seem like they have to ban this one kid. Just institute a maximum velocity on pitches and let the ump enforce it. If "safety" really is the concern, then pass a rule that protects kids from 40mph fastballs: not a rule that protects players from particular pitchers.

Edited by yo mama

every young kid that plays ball is at some point gonna be overmatched by another kids fastball. That's just the way it is. Practice often, build up to faster speeds pitching in practice and they'll catch up to him. As a matter of fact, hitting of a tee or in soft toss working on good mechanics will catch your kid up to him also. Kids around here (decent ones anyway) move up to 9-12 ball when they're 9. Alot of pitchers they face are 12. Just part of the game.

and 40 mph ain't real fast.