[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure how to approach this...

Cunning Runt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no intention whatsoever of collecting the fees draft night.

When were you planning on collecting the fees.....after the season?

In my 19 years of fantasy football, I don't think I've ever been in a league where my dues weren't paid in full prior to drafting.

And since there are very very few other stories posted here of a commish missing $100 of league dues, I don't think many other leagues have ever encountered the dilema you currently have.

No matter how many excuses of "they collected the fees behind my back, they stuffed it in my dufflebag without me knowing", its your responsibility. Since you didn't have a better system in place, and it is your job to do so, it falls on your shoulders.

Collecting the dues via check or Paypal two months before your draft, or any prepayment policy, would have prevented this. You didn't install a policy such as this, and you, as Commish, bear responisibility.

You can certainly ask the league to help make up the deficit, but any owner who declined would certainly be warranted to do so.

Wow, alot of people here just are not reading the details of this story. He did NOT KNOW the collection was taking place. He COULD NOT have stopped it since he didn't know about it. He didn't do anything wrong... he simply found an envelope full of money the next day that ended up being short.

My solution... tell the league that you are going to take sword and cut the envelope in half. Whoever protests is the money's true Mother. :wacko::D

Those details only show up later in the thread so you've got to excuse the first casters of stones. And I dont know about you, but once I saw some angry villagers, I just naturaly grabbed a torch.....

My sense of duty has gotten the better of me.

Rightly or wrongly, I do consider it my responsibility and will be making the pot whole.

No clue what happened, but it did.

That's pretty much the conclusion.

Thanks for all the feedback.

My sense of duty has gotten the better of me.

Rightly or wrongly, I do consider it my responsibility and will be making the pot whole.

No clue what happened, but it did.

That's pretty much the conclusion.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I like you, but you are a fool to allow these guys to talk you out of $100.00 you do not owe.

So if a client handed you an envelope of cash that was $100 short, you would eat that too? BS.

Quit the martyr crap and cut the payout.

I like you, but you are a fool to allow these guys to talk you out of $100.00 you do not owe.

So if a client handed you an envelope of cash that was $100 short, you would eat that too? BS.

Quit the martyr crap and cut the payout.

Thanks - I like you too. :wacko:

It sounds like the league is willing to split it and make the pot whole. I may take them up on it. In any event, maintaining a league above reproach is more important to me than $100.

I run an NCAA pool where several thousands are at stake also and one thing I've always kept in mind is that when people's money is at stake - either in a small group of FF friends or several hundred strangers as are in the NCAA pool - I cannot allow money to ever be called into question or my credibility and the trust garnered from those involved is at risk.

CR ...

If I'm in your shoes, I make the pot whole and let the league know what happened and that if anyone is inclined to contributed to helping make the pot whole, you'll gladly accept their help.

It has been my experience that some may not put in, but someone else knows you're kicking in $100 may kick in $20.

Regardless, it's not a fun position to be in. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

I run an NCAA pool where several thousands are at stake also and one thing I've always kept in mind is that when people's money is at stake - either in a small group of FF friends or several hundred strangers as are in the NCAA pool - I cannot allow money to ever be called into question or my credibility and the trust garnered from those involved is at risk.

The hammer has struck the nail.

If I'm in your shoes, I make the pot whole and let the league know what happened and that if anyone is inclined to contributed to helping make the pot whole, you'll gladly accept their help.

That is the best idea of this three page thread....at the end of the day, it is indeed your responsibility, but if they indeed are your friends, those with the most ethics will help you make the league whole again.

The hammer has struck the nail.

That is the best idea of this three page thread....at the end of the day, it is indeed your responsibility, but if they indeed are your friends, those with the most ethics will help you make the league whole again.

And, if someone comes forward with a mea culpa, you take your $100 back, plus the $5s, $10s and $20s kicked in by other people...

Wow, alot of people here just are not reading the details of this story. He did NOT KNOW the collection was taking place. He COULD NOT have stopped it since he didn't know about it. He didn't do anything wrong... he simply found an envelope full of money the next day that ended up being short.

My solution... tell the league that you are going to take sword and cut the envelope in half. Whoever protests is the money's true Mother. :wacko::D

He should have just stopped the collection from taking place

I appreciate what you're saying, but don't the others bear some responsibility? Seriously, who puts money into a random envelope?

I hear what you are saying, but.....whose job is it to organize the proper collection of the entry fee? Some lackey, or the commish?

The fact the dues aren't paid up in advance, or before any draft pick is actually made, still baffles me. Never heard of such a system.

this lack of organization is why this issue came to be, and the person responsible for it should be held accountable for any monetary discrepency.

if the league is on the up-and-up, and the owners are decent guys, CR won't be out any more cash than the next guy....they should all split the difference....but if someone wants to take a stand and make a point, they certainly have a case.

Here's hoping CR fills us in as to what happens when he breaks the news to his leaguemates....be interesting to hear what their thoughts are.

Thanks - I like you too. :wacko:

It sounds like the league is willing to split it and make the pot whole. I may take them up on it. In any event, maintaining a league above reproach is more important to me than $100.

While I advocated you paying because it was your responsibility as commish, I never said it was your fault. You should definitely take them up on it. Sounds like a cool league.

I hear what you are saying, but.....whose job is it to organize the proper collection of the entry fee? Some lackey, or the commish?

The fact the dues aren't paid up in advance, or before any draft pick is actually made, still baffles me. Never heard of such a system.

this lack of organization is why this issue came to be, and the person responsible for it should be held accountable for any monetary discrepency.

if the league is on the up-and-up, and the owners are decent guys, CR won't be out any more cash than the next guy....they should all split the difference....but if someone wants to take a stand and make a point, they certainly have a case.

Here's hoping CR fills us in as to what happens when he breaks the news to his leaguemates....be interesting to hear what their thoughts are.

It's kind of organized disorganization. Long time league - same owners for the most part year in year out. The replacements I all know personally. Some leagues are more hard-core on getting the fees up front and I get that, but I don't make a big deal about it - just so long as I have it before the payouts are due at the end of the year. I have never once had a problem. While I don't make such a big deal out of it upfront, I assure you - I DO collect it all.

As far as the outcome, it's pretty much going to be me ensuring that the pot is whole and the other guys buying me beers and the occasional lunch at the bars on Sundays. Or a few guys throwing some coin my way at their insistence.

All's well that ends well. Who knows - maybe I'll end up ahead on the whole deal. :wacko:

Bird Dog has 100's laying around just in case he decides to welch on future bets. Ask him for the C note.

Bottom line: it was probably a mistake--I would have asked everyone individually. If nobody would have fessed up, I would make it right out of my own pocket and then set corrective measures to ensure this never happens again in the future.

Bird Dog has 100's laying around just in case he decides to welch on future bets. Ask him for the C note.

Bottom line: it was probably a mistake--I would have asked everyone individually. If nobody would have fessed up, I would make it right out of my own pocket and then set corrective measures to ensure this never happens again in the future.

Gil,

With the karma talk prior to your post, I thought for sure when you I saw that you had posted that you were gonna say "here's your karma for wishing injuries".

Nice to see we've gotten past that. :wacko: