[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Great Depression

Sugar Magnolia

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea about the depression, but I have been reading some interesting things recently. The one that worries me most is there is one more credit bubble that needs to pop. Credit cards. According to articles and columns, people have not lowered their standard of living even with high gas prices and groceries. These are the same people that lived on the equity of their home to live this lifestyle. Now that the housing bubble has burst and homes are not worth as much, people are turning to the next easiest credit and that is credit cards. It is something to watch I think.

Credit cards are stil lto come.

As are second mortgages that aren't getting the attention they deserve.

As are people with second houses.

Depression? Probably not. Fun times? Probably not. Hard work and hunkering down? Probably so.

there is one more credit bubble that needs to pop. Credit cards. According to articles and columns, people have not lowered their standard of living even with high gas prices and groceries. These are the same people that lived on the equity of their home to live this lifestyle. Now that the housing bubble has burst and homes are not worth as much, people are turning to the next easiest credit and that is credit cards. It is something to watch I think.

:wacko: Does the gov't have enough money left to bail out the cc companies?

:wacko: Does the gov't have enough money left to bail out the cc companies?

No.

If things go as I think they might, they are hosed and will not be bailed out, rescued or otherwise extended a lifeline by the gov't. The shareholders will (at best) be substantially diluted, and at worst, completely wiped out.

No.

If things go as I think they might, they are hosed and will not be bailed out, rescued or otherwise extended a lifeline by the gov't. The shareholders will (at best) be substantially diluted, and at worst, completely wiped out.

What do you thin the effect will be on the average American if the CC companies crash and burn? I can't imagine it would be all that bad. It might tighten up credit a little bit, but other than that, what are we looking at?

It appears that not many people alive today appreciate just how bad the Great Depression was. People were not worried about their 401ks or how to get a loan on a new car with a credit score of 412. Lots of people like us went hungry on a regular basis and unemployment was over 30%.