[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas acquires ROY WILLIAMS WR

keggerz

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Fleecing of Dallas. I'm interested in hearing if another team stepped up to drive the price up. No way he should have commanded those picks. Free agent at the end of the year and not enough cash (or desire) to franchise him.

I guess I admire that JJ is going for the SB win this year, but he could have been had for much less IMO.

Moss went for a 4th round pick to New England. :wacko:

Ok people are here saying Dallas gave up "Way too Much" for Williams. Lets look at this bit. The Cowboys gave up a 1st 3rd and 6th. If we were to go out and draft a WR next year who could we have gotten that would satisfy these four things:

1. Big, Young, Veteran WR with speed and hands

2. Capable of playing in the NFL

3. Capable of taking coverage away from T.O.

4. Knows the NFL game

Nobody. Thats right. A rookie taken in the late first or if you package the 3rd and 6th to get higher in the first, a Rookie is not going to give you the above three. Secondly what if you took a WR in the top 15, Jerry would be paying him top 15 draft pick money and still not know if the kid could play opposite TO. Now by getting Roy we can pay for a fairly known commodity at 26 years who knows how to play in the NFL. Let's say T.O. goes down this year or next. Roy would be much better to fill in rather then anyone on our current roster and next year, I would feel a whole lot more comfortable with Roy then a Rookie WR and Crayton, Austin, Hurd and Stanback. Smart move.

Sounds like a very smart deal to me. You get proven vs. rookie for even or less money and don't have to worry about drafting right. Now we can focus on other positions and don't have to worry about training or coaching up a rookie. Time and Money saved. I like it though I am not sold on Roy Wiliams just yet.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Wow. Fleecing of Dallas. I'm interested in hearing if another team stepped up to drive the price up. No way he should have commanded those picks. Free agent at the end of the year and not enough cash (or desire) to franchise him.

I guess I admire that JJ is going for the SB win this year, but he could have been had for much less IMO.

Moss went for a 4th round pick to New England. :D

still dont beleive dallas will win SB ... believe they will find a way to lose :wacko:

Great move by the Lions !!!! I think the Cowboys gave up way too much, but, it does have potential for them. My take on Roy Williams is that he has tons of talent, but, seems to lack passion and concentration. However, some of that may have had to do with playing for the Lions, but, it still calls into question his character. Like I said, this has the potential to be great for Dallas, as they have another impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball, but, I could also see it being one of those trades that looks good on paper, but, doesn't help on the field (messes up chemistry, etc.) On the Detroit side, why wouldn't they do this ??? They aren't a contender, and they got an extra 1st & 3rd, which could provide great value in their re-building efforts.

Hit the nail on the head. I remember Roy early in career could catch in traffic, run over defenders, and practically no ball was uncatchable. What happened to him, dunno. Appears to play with no heart,no passion, no drive to be one of the best which he could very well be if he chose. Lions got a good deal for an underperformer, and Dallas gets I don't know what. If Roy plays to his abilities, I don't think they over paid. If he stays staus qou, LIons did extremely well. I'm nuetral on this at the moment as I was hoping Roy would find himself again and become a force with CJ..

Ok people are here saying Dallas gave up "Way too Much" for Williams. Lets look at this bit. The Cowboys gave up a 1st 3rd and 6th. If we were to go out and draft a WR next year who could we have gotten that would satisfy these four things:

1. Big, Young, Veteran WR with speed and hands

4. Knows the NFL game

Nobody.

I agree. Consider also that they have crap depth-wise behind a mid-30's T.O. It won't get the cowboys to the Super Bowl, but it was a smart move both for this year and in the long run.

As far as Dallas goes, I just don't get it. They're down Newman for 6 weeks, Pacman for hopefully ever, and they were struggling to cover when both those guys played... So instead of attempting to address the defense which has major holes in the secondary, they go out and trade for a receiver...

If you're thinking about next year, then yes a 1,3 & 6 could help the defense. If you're talking about this year (which is all JJ cares about right now), I just don't see the long line of teams waiting to trade away a top DB, even if Dallas is willing to overpay. Yes the Dallas D is ailing, but the goal is to score more points than the opponent, not to keep the other guys under some "magic" number. So scoring more points is a valid response if you can't keep the opponent from scoring as many (see "greatest show on turf").

And while this is a steep price, a first round draft pick gets you a top WR who needs at least 2 years in the league before he contributes significantly, so a first and third (they swap a 6&7 so who cares) doesn't seem horribly steep if RW can help out this year, especially in the playoff. Per reports DET was holding out for 2 first rounders and dallas refused until they came down at the deadline, so it's not as tho Dallas went on a spending spree and damn the costs.

Of course, if Dallas already doesn't have a first committment for a contract renewal in hand even before the trade was completed, it's not just overpriced it's insane.

OK I'm not an expert but how good is Roy anyway?

I mean look everyone says McNabb never had any quality WRs except for TO but look at DeSean Jackson who is a 2nd round pick seems to me he's as good a WR (stat wise) as Roy ever was

My point is what the heck if a 2nd round can pan out you are giving up 1 and 3 round pick for Roy who needs a new contract (likely) will need big contract after this move.

I don't like the deal think Dallas paid too much, I mean what round pick was M Barber for example they are giving up a future player like that for Roy who at 26 really hasn't done much IMO

Fitz and Boldon really what are they worth if Roy is worth this much?

Edited by rai

Quick .02, probably just echoing what others have said but anyway:

- nice deal by DET - eliminated a guy who is disappointing and a locker room cancer to boot for a 1st rounder plus change. Now CJ is far and away "the man" but still have WR depth with the underrated Furrey and McDonald

- DAL overpaid.....could still work out for them as Owens is getting up there and Wms could be their "WR of the future", but they likely should not have done this because along w/questions about his heart (and maybe even ability?), he isn't exactly an iron man.

- Owens and esp Witten owners have to be wondering/worrying about this at least a little. And lol @ Crayton.

Edited by BeeR

I mean look everyone says McNabb never had any quality WRs except for TO but look at DeSean Jackson who is a 2nd round pick seems to me he's as good a WR (stat wise) as Roy ever was

My point is what the heck if a 2nd round can pan out you are giving up 1 and 3 round pick for Roy who needs a new contract (likely) will need big contract after this move.

I don't like the deal think Dallas paid too much, I mean what round pick was M Barber for example they are giving up a future player like that for Roy who at 26 really hasn't done much IMO

You're comparing which LIons qb to McNabb???? Huge difference there, if we had anyone like McNabb I don't think Roy would have been going anywhere period.

On a terrible team he was an 80 catch, 1300 yard, 8 TD guy. Unfortunately he had health issues which may be a legitimate concern, I guess we'll see. On a good offense this guy can be a top 5 WR, no doubt in my mind.

1. Big, Young, WR with speed and hands

4. Knows the NFL game

When the heck was Colston drafted?

When was Bolden drafted?

You have to get luck with a pick but there are many good WRs Moss drafted late in 1st round etc..

Edited by rai

A little off topic but saw this blurb that I didn't know before....

Roy Williams also played a small role in the 2004 sports film Friday Night Lights, playing the role of an assistant coach for the rival football team at Robert E. Lee High School. He was a star athlete at Permian High School, and his older brother was on the team the movie was based on. His one spoken line in the film is "He ain't going to play."
Edited by myhousekey

Boldon was drafted in the 2nd round

Boldin has broken several NFL records. In his rookie year, Boldin had 101 catches and was the only rookie selected to the 2004 Pro Bowl. Boldin also set an NFL record for most receiving yards by a rookie in his first game (217), and holds the NFL record for most receptions in the first 26 games of an NFL career (157) as well as the fastest to record 300 career receptions (47 games).

Colston 7th round

Edited by rai

Yahoo is reporting that Roy signed a five year extension. I think this is a great move for the future considering T.O.'s age. Roy has all the ability and size to be a great threat in that offense fast. You wanna talk about dropped balls why not take a look at T.O. give this guy a q.b. and he will get numbers.