[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kids & Politics

i_am_the_swammi

So my 8-year old and I are chatting at breakfast this AM, and he says they are having a "school vote" next week...procedes to ask me who I am voting for, and why.

Not wanting to slant his vote towards mine, I backpeddled and tried to explain (in 8-year old language) the differences between Democrats and Republicans, but feel I came up short.

Any suggestions on how some of you would approach an 8-year old and venture into the language of politics (with an unbiased slant)?

I've also found it difficult to teach my kids about politics. I want them to decide for themselves, but I also want to warn them of some of the pitfalls of thinking in terms of Obama vs. McCain or democrat vs republican. Two of my kids have given me a :wacko: when I've told them I'm voting for Chuck Baldwin. Unfortunately, even "educators" frame political issues within the boundaries of the two party system.

democrat - is the goof off in class that never does his homework and gets in trouble

republican - the A student that gets blamed for the goof off's bad deeds and has to do his own homework, plus the goofball's too

Edited by dmarc117

I've also found it difficult to teach my kids about politics. I want them to decide for themselves, but I also want to warn them of some of the pitfalls of thinking in terms of Obama vs. McCain or democrat vs republican. Two of my kids have given me a :wacko: when I've told them I'm voting for Chuck Baldwin. Unfortunately, even "educators" frame political issues within the boundaries of the two party system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Baldwin

Interesting guy with some interesting views. For one thing, while I'm sure the FDA is not doing as good a job as they probably could, just throwing the whole thing out wouldn't make me particularly confident in going to the grocery store or the pharmacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Baldwin

Interesting guy with some interesting views. For one thing, while I'm sure the FDA is not doing as good a job as they probably could, just throwing the whole thing out wouldn't make me particularly confident in going to the grocery store or the pharmacy.

He's not the perfect candidate for me, but he's closer to the mark than Barr.

I think the FDA is nearly completely disfunctional. It seems clear that their endorsements are purchased by big spam. They seem wholly incapable of preventing bad things from happening to consumers and act more as a investigative body. This isn't a big issue for me, but I don't disagree with Baldwin on this. :wacko:

So before this thread gets locked, any honest advice out there? Most of my insight got so economically and governmentally tangled, i doubt it made much sense to him.

Basically, I stated Democrats typically like more government control, while Republicans do not. Once we got into why the government needs to control certain aspects of our country, the conversation got a little confusing for his 3rd-grade mind.

There has to be an easier way, no?

Ask him if he wants someone to always be taking care of him and telling him what he can and cannot do even when he becomes an adult (like Mommy an Daddy do now).

Then ask him if when he becomes an adult, would he rather have the ability to do things for himself and not have to worry about whether or not Mommy and Daddy will punish him for succeeding on his own.

ETA: You might also want to ask him what language he prefers to speak... :wacko:

He's not the perfect candidate for me, but he's closer to the mark than Barr.

I think the FDA is nearly completely disfunctional. It seems clear that their endorsements are purchased by big spam. They seem wholly incapable of preventing bad things from happening to consumers and act more as a investigative body. This isn't a big issue for me, but I don't disagree with Baldwin on this. :wacko:

Well, imagine living in China. I'll take what we have here for consumer protections.

So before this thread gets locked, any honest advice out there? Most of my insight got so economically and governmentally tangled, i doubt it made much sense to him.

Basically, I stated Democrats typically like more government control, while Republicans do not. Once we got into why the government needs to control certain aspects of our country, the conversation got a little confusing for his 3rd-grade mind.

Clarify that Dems want to control your wallet and Reps want to control your behavior.

the difference is that repressed gheys are republicans and flaming nancyboy gheys are democrats.

seriously, it sounds like you've done about as well as you can already. the more you try and tell them, the more questions it opens up and the more confused they will probably be.

Everyone should be confused as to why the government needs to control more aspects of our country. I'm assuming he understands freedom, so I'm sure he is confused...

Personally, I thought my first post of advice broke it down on a level a third grader could relate to.

Everyone should be confused as to why the government needs to control more aspects of our country. I'm assuming he understands freedom, so I'm sure he is confused...

regardless of what party you may be, the government needs to control/manage our transportation issues, military, public education, space programs, social security, etc....a wide variety of things they need to be involved with.

To say that everyone should be confused as to why the government needs to control things is a harsh, dont you think?

Freedom is patrolled and enabled in this country with the work of our military...and our military is controlled by the government....soo....what's your point about freedom?

To which my point was...

Personally, I thought my first post of advice broke it down on a level a third grader could relate to.

You misinterpretated by saying...

regardless of what party you may be, the government needs to control/manage our transportation issues, military, public education, space programs, social security, etc....a wide variety of things they need to be involved with.

To say that everyone should be confused as to why the government needs to control things is a harsh, dont you think?

Freedom is patrolled and enabled in this country with the work of our military...and our military is controlled by the government....soo....what's your point about freedom?

The operative word here was "MORE".

The reference to freedom is based on your son having the ability to make more personal choices in his life when he gets older or being forced to follow MORE mandatory government policies.

Without going into specifics here (and so as not hijack the thread), there is indeed a need for limited government in some of the things you mentioned.

Sorry for the "confusion"... :wacko:

Edited by millerx

I'm teaching a mini-unit on gov't with my 5th and 6th graders. I'm first focusing on the constitution and the three branches of gov't. We talk and read about the roles of each branch. We take a look at who our local state at national reps are. Today we took a look at the role of the executive branch. I haven't used this site, but this might be a good start.