[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need some extreme legal advice

polksalet

Here is the low down. I have started a research project which has an accompanying contract with a government agency. Historically the contracted stuff has been a government operation because of the liability. When I say liability imagine causing a 747 laden with people to crash, that is the kind I am talking about. Well the government says they assume all liability and perform contract supervision and quality control. This project pays an extreme frakkin amount of money. My questions are, how am I really protected? Other than obtaining a few billion worth of liability insurance is there any way I can really be protected at all? I mean is the government guarantee worth anything at all?

Here is the low down. I have started a research project which has an accompanying contract with a government agency. Historically the contracted stuff has been a government operation because of the liability. When I say liability imagine causing a 747 laden with people to crash, that is the kind I am talking about. Well the government says they assume all liability and perform contract supervision and quality control. This project pays an extreme frakkin amount of money. My questions are, how am I really protected? Other than obtaining a few billion worth of liability insurance is there any way I can really be protected at all? I mean is the government guarantee worth anything at all?

Is this really the sort of question you want answered by a bunch of anonymous people on the Innernets?

Get the guarantee and read it and see who's signature is at the bottom.

Start with that.

What are you doing to our airplanes and when are you planning on doing it? :wacko:

I would be doing what are called obstruction surveys. Basically it entails mapping trees and monitoring their heights in the vicinity of runways. It is pretty simple but if I were to screw up and blow a height and then a plane hits the tree, well you get the picture.

I would be doing what are called obstruction surveys. Basically it entails mapping trees and monitoring their heights in the vicinity of runways. It is pretty simple but if I were to screw up and blow a height and then a plane hits the tree, well you get the picture.

Seriously, Polk, If the $$$ is that good, I'd consult a lawyer, have him see what the Gub's coverage REALLY includes and what your exposure COULD be, and what type of insurance you might need. If your assets are little, then do it, but I think you have assets that need protection. And that goes beyond setting up a corporation to avoid losing personal assets. See a good lawyer.

Use a calculator and add 10% for good measure. :wacko:

Always advise the forestry service to cut down the tallest 5-10 trees regardless of how tall they are.

"Basically it entails mapping trees and monitoring their heights in the vicinity of runways. It is pretty simple but if I were to screw up and blow a height and then a plane hits the tree, well you get the picture."

How long is the contract valid for and what is the maximum duration of your possible liability? I mean, trees grow, right? So in 10 years, the trees will be taller than when you measured them & submitted the tree height ... so I guess I'd want to be sure that the verbiage in the contract has some sort of "tree growth factor" escape clause, no?

Typical self reliant person.....making a fortune off my tax dollars.....talk about IRONIC!

Seriously, Polk, If the $$$ is that good, I'd consult a lawyer, have him see what the Gub's coverage REALLY includes and what your exposure COULD be, and what type of insurance you might need. If your assets are little, then do it, but I think you have assets that need protection. And that goes beyond setting up a corporation to avoid losing personal assets. See a good lawyer.

Good advice here. Without seeing the actual language and supporting documentation, there's no way to tell what the contract is really saying. Paying a lawyer to decipher the language and do any necessary research to find out everything is money well spent IMO.

Typical self reliant person.....making a fortune off my tax dollars.....talk about IRONIC!

Truthfully the government would be better off doing it themselves but NOAA is diverting so much money to global warning research they apparently lack the funding to keep planes from inadvertently hitting buildings and trees. I can also tell you that people aren't standing in line to do this. It is an extreme hassle.

Truthfully the government would be better off doing it themselves but NOAA is diverting so much money to global warning research they apparently lack the funding to keep planes from inadvertently hitting buildings and trees. I can also tell you that people aren't standing in line to do this. It is an extreme hassle.

Sorry Polk, I think I gave you the best advice! Not bragging, but read it....live by it!

So if Al qaeda starts buying up water and miracle grow you're screwed.

Good advice here. Without seeing the actual language and supporting documentation, there's no way to tell what the contract is really saying. Paying a lawyer to decipher the language and do any necessary research to find out everything is money well spent IMO.

your right, now I need to figure out how to find a good lawyer.

I would assume that if the plane crashes, you are not personally liable for the injuries or deaths that might occur as a result of the crash. That would probably not keep the government from throwing you in prison, however. for breaching the contract, taking their money and not doing your job.