[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Took My 8yr Old to His First Steeler Game Yesterday

caddyman

What a mistake. I actually knew it was a bad idea, but he wanted to see the Cowboys play in the worst way. As usual I spent most of the game explaining why grown men AND women act like they did. It is and always has been an absolute disgrace how we act at those games. And for any of you local Pittsburghers don't even try the its a few that ruin it for everyone. It is a LARGE percentage of absolute degenerates that are totally smashed and disrespectful to everyone around them. I would expect this type of behavior in Cleveland or Philly...but not here. What a shame. Of course the beloved Rooneys could care less that this occurs. I knew I should have moved to Carolina.

What a mistake. I actually knew it was a bad idea, but he wanted to see the Cowboys play in the worst way. As usual I spent most of the game explaining why grown men AND women act like they did. It is and always has been an absolute disgrace how we act at those games. And for any of you local Pittsburghers don't even try the its a few that ruin it for everyone. It is a LARGE percentage of absolute degenerates that are totally smashed and disrespectful to everyone around them. I would expect this type of behavior in Cleveland or Philly...but not here. What a shame. Of course the beloved Rooneys could care less that this occurs. I knew I should have moved to Carolina.

well dont fool yourself because they are in every stadium across the country...I am not a skins fan but can vouch for the fact that they have a high doush factor too....and it increases the higher you go up in the stadium or the bigger the rival...

Another person trying to make Pittsburgh out to be different that all the other places in the world. HA! All sports venues have their 75%-25% split on flat out rude slugs. (The 75% being the slugs.) Been this way for awhile too. At one time you could just count on certain places being that way....but now all of them are. Just a reflection of our society in general. No need to get all het up about it.

It is sad. I feel safe taking my boy to Texas Rangers games but that's because they suck and the crowd is indifferent. There are plenty of potty-mouthed thugs at Cowboy and Stars games. About the only place where I always have a good experience is watching OU in Norman, watching A&M at Kyle Field, and the Rangers.

Geeze......I was expecting to open this thread and see, "WOW.....what an incredible first game experience for a kid who knows football!"

But I guess I have to assume a few things here.

#1.....It was a 4:15pm game. Gives people WAY too long to tailgate beforehand. 1:00 games are by far more hospitable for younger fans (and their parents who aren't there to whoop it up either.....lol). I know.....you didn't have a choice in that. He wanted to see the Cowboys.....and the game was scheduled for 4:15.

#2....Sorry your son is a cowboy fan living in Pitt. Almost as bad as him living in Philly......lol. We have no love loss for the Boys. And if he had on any Cowboy garb.....well...drunks and rivalries.....not a good combo. I'm not excusing it.......just saying. And the bigger the rivalry...the more stupid people act in general.

#3......It was FRIKKIN cold out there for the game. For most drinkers at a game....the colder it is.....the harder the liquor they drink to keep warm.....LOL. BAD combo all the way around.

I'm a HUGH fan, and I'm not sure even I would have gone to that game. :wacko:

I don't live in Pitt...but I'm a Steeler fan.....obviously. :D So as a fan.....I'm truly sorry you and your son had such a bad time. :D

And.....you could have looked at it as a good teaching opportunity. "Look son.....that's how adults act when they overindulge. Pretty stupid huh? You probably don't ever want to look THAT stupid......right?" :D

Try coming to a San Diego/Raider game. You are guaranteed stabbings, gang fights and just plain out right thuggery each and every time. Alot of my fellow Charger fans have nothing to do with this particular game anymore.

At any rate, its awesome that you and your son were able to participate in what many of us NFL fans view as a right of passage -- going to your first game with Dad. I'm sure he will remember it, not only for the obvious atmosphere, but for you being there as well.

Edited by tazinib1

Geeze......I was expecting to open this thread and see, "WOW.....what an incredible first game experience for a kid who knows football!"

But I guess I have to assume a few things here.

#1.....It was a 4:15pm game. Gives people WAY too long to tailgate beforehand. 1:00 games are by far more hospitable for younger fans (and their parents who aren't there to whoop it up either.....lol). I know.....you didn't have a choice in that. He wanted to see the Cowboys.....and the game was scheduled for 4:15. Kind of true...although I have been to numerous 1:00 games with the same issue

#2....Sorry your son is a cowboy fan living in Pitt. Almost as bad as him living in Philly......lol. We have no love loss for the Boys. And if he had on any Cowboy garb.....well...drunks and rivalries.....not a good combo. I'm not excusing it.......just saying. And the bigger the rivalry...the more stupid people act in general. Not wearing any garb....

#3......It was FRIKKIN cold out there for the game. For most drinkers at a game....the colder it is.....the harder the liquor they drink to keep warm.....LOL. BAD combo all the way around. You got that right

I'm a HUGH fan, and I'm not sure even I would have gone to that game. :wacko:

I don't live in Pitt...but I'm a Steeler fan.....obviously. :D So as a fan.....I'm truly sorry you and your son had such a bad time. :D

And.....you could have looked at it as a good teaching opportunity. "Look son.....that's how adults act when they overindulge. Pretty stupid huh? You probably don't ever want to look THAT stupid......right?" :DExactly what I did...still a shame

Try coming to a San Diego/Raider game. You are guaranteed stabbings, gang fights and just plain out right thuggery each and every time. Alot of my fellow Charger fans have nothing to do with this particular game anymore.

At any rate, its awesome that you and your son were able to participate in what many of us NFL fans view as a right of passage -- going to your first game with Dad. I'm sure he will remember it, not only for the obvious atmosphere, but for you being there as well.

Very true...we just told mom and sister that it is a new tradition for the men only....that's gonna cost me...Mom will be shopping unsupervised...LOL

We took our three-year-old to his first Lions game on Thanksgiving. Being a Thanksgiving game I'm sure helped. We also sat in the family zone. No alcohol and no profanity. The seats weren't great, but I didn't have to worry about any a-holes around us.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience, Caddyman. Unfortunately, this thread confirmed my suspicions regarding taking younger kids to NFL games. I will be waiting until my son is much older to take him a NFL game. In the meantime, I will take him to Pirates and Pens games. Again, I am sorry to hear how everything turned out for you and your boy. I hope you two still managed to have a good father/son day.

I have been to more than half of the professional football venues in my life and there is no difference between what we have in Pittsburgh and anywhere else as far as the fans that you wish were not there. My boy was 15 years old before I took him to a Steeler game and even then I was not sure about taking him.

These people pay their money to make a party of the game and overall I don't have a problem with it. It is their thing and I prefer to watch the game on TV anyway.

Carolina is not going to offer you any relief from what bothers you about going to a Steeler game.

I suggest you start following Pitt around. A lot better so far as the crowd goes but still not perfect. Just don’t follow them down to Morgantown.

In the meantime, I will take him to Pirates and Pens games. Again, I am sorry to hear how everything turned out for you and your boy.

Max - I am sure you know this but those Penguin games can be a bit much depending on who is around you. I mean they aren't like the Steeler games where it seems everyone is out of control but there are people at those Pen games that are every bit just as bad.

Pirates games are pretty safe except for the stuff being yelled at the owners. :wacko:

I have been to more than half of the professional football venues in my life and there is no difference between what we have in Pittsburgh and anywhere else as far as the fans that you wish were not there. My boy was 15 years old before I took him to a Steeler game and even then I was not sure about taking him.

These people pay their money to make a party of the game and overall I don't have a problem with it. It is their thing and I prefer to watch the game on TV anyway.

Carolina is not going to offer you any relief from what bothers you about going to a Steeler game.

I suggest you start following Pitt around. A lot better so far as the crowd goes but still not perfect. Just don’t follow them down to Morgantown.

First, we are Pitt season ticket holders and you are correct. You are also correct about Morgantown. I have done that once before...never again.

I have also been to many other venues, I have seen worse and I have seen better.

Now for the part I totally disagree with. The fact that you pay your money to make a party of the game gives you no right whatsoever to ruin my experience. That is absolute garbage. Getting smashed is one thing, but constant vulgar language, constant readiness to brawl, and no consideration for anyone around you is not acceptable. This actually has nothing to do with my son. I was more disgusted than he was. Most of the stuff went over his head.

I took my 4 year old to Arrowhead for the KC vs TB game. Had a bunch of really drunk kids (meaning 20ish) next to us, they made us get up like every two minutes to go and get beer, go smoke cigarettes and go to the bathroom. Anyway this pissed people off and a fight broke out right next to me and my kid, I had to pick him up and get the hell out of there before he got hit. That was really fun to explain to a 4 year old why people act like that. It sucks but I probably wont be taking either of my boys back to a game for awhile.

Wow have taken my 4 year old to 3 Vikings games (his first when he was three) and the only complaint was how loud the music is in the Dome. there is the occasional bad word but it has been a great experience for him.

We had visitor fans all around us (Rams, Chargers, and Packers) and never had a problem.

I have visited 12 different stadiums (Detroit, Chicago, Indy, KC, Cleveland, Cinci, St Louis, Tenn, Atlanta, GB(4 times), Dallas, Buffalo,) and we have never had issues with the crowd being rowdy and we usually are in the nose bleed seats. We have seen a lot of rivary games including Pitt at Cleveland and St Louis at KC and of course Minn at GB and never had a problem no matter which team we are cheering for.

Now for the part I totally disagree with. The fact that you pay your money to make a party of the game gives you no right whatsoever to ruin my experience. That is absolute garbage. Getting smashed is one thing, but constant vulgar language, constant readiness to brawl, and no consideration for anyone around you is not acceptable. This actually has nothing to do with my son. I was more disgusted than he was. Most of the stuff went over his head.

I did not say that you have to agree with what they do. I have passed on many free tickets and I gave up season tickets more than 10 years ago when the crowd was not as bad as they are now. All I am saying is that I understand what is going on and I know what the atmosphere is going to be so I stay home to watch it on tv. I am not trying to change what goes on at the events as I think that the majority of the crowd likes it the way it is.

That's cool that you are a Pitt season ticket holder. I had to give up those seats two years ago as my work conflicts to often with the games and I am in a position now that I can not get free for the games the way I always did. My wife and I are considering heading down to the Sun Bowl.