[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

F the Yankees

loaf

Just can not stand them and their dynasty. Do you think that Steinbrenner will not go out and buy replacements for Wells, Pettitte and Clemens? **** right he will and I hope he chokes on his chocolate ice cream.

It can be argued that anyone can win in the playoffs. That's why the Marlins can beat the Yankees in 6 games.

But, Over the course of a season things even out...

That's why the final NL East standings have been order of payroll for 5 straight years.

Since 1998, it has been:

code:
Yankees		125,928,583

Boston 108,366,060

Toronto 76,864,333

Baltimore 60,493,487

Tampa 34,380,000

No no... baseball doesn't need a salary cap. I love to see the same team win every year.

The worst is the fans who brag about it. No kidding... the highest payroll team is in the World Series again? That must make you a genius for being a fan! :D

Fan or not the better team won which is what is so cool about baseball. the Ultimate team sport. I said before the playoffs started the Marlins would take it. Giants, Cubs and Yankees because man for man they had the better team and were hungrier for the "Prize" rather than the accolades. thumbs_u Same way with the Angels and Diamondbacks before them. So how can you really make a case the past three years?

AtomicCEO:

That's why the final NL East standings have been order of payroll for 5 straight years.

I'll assume you meant AL East.

AtomicCEO:

The worst is the fans who brag about it.  No kidding... the highest payroll team is in the World Series again?  That must make you a genius for being a fan!   :D  

So it's the fans fault that the Yankess spend money? Yankee fans should not be allowed to talk smack or route excessively because the organization spends money? Where are you going with this Atomic? Doesn't make much sense to me.

For the record, I'm from NY, but hate the f-ing Yankmees, but still find your point unfair at best. You're placing the blame in the wrong spot.

hugh,

i think atomic's point is valid. i think yankee/lakers/red wings/av fans have don't have the right to talk crap. when big bucks can bring in all-star players (or former all-stars) to prexisting GOOD teams, where's the competition. Some players aren't as driven by the cash....they want to end their careers with a champions (on these good teams). there is never a guarantee of winning it all, but the odds sure get stacked and i get sick of it as a fan.

edit: I am a fan of SF teams. as a 49er fan.... i thought it was a little bogus they way they got the championship in 94. these are not the players we groomed, just a bunch of mercenaries... thigs were so stacked i couldn't talk a lot of smack in good conscience.

Bier Meister:

hugh,

i think atomic's point is valid.  i think yankee/lakers/red wings/av fans have don't have the right to talk crap.  when big bucks can bring in all-star players (or former all-stars) to prexisting GOOD teams, where's the competition.  Some players aren't as driven by the cash....they want to end their careers with a champions (on these good teams).  there is never a guarantee of winning it all, but the odds sure get stacked and i get sick of it as a fan.

So I (well not me because I don't like the Yanks but we'll use it for the argument), having been born and raised in NY, am not allowed to be vocal about the success of my team because the management spends money? C'mon, that's a load of doo-doo IMO. Why can the Yanks spend money? Because they have it, which is because of the fans, right?

i think it is fine to get all excited about FA signings and the coming year's possibilites, but no, i don't think it is appropriate to talk a lot of smack when the deck is loaded.

funny..... i love a lot of yankee players. just think the organization is bad for baseball.

Bier Meister:

i think it is fine to get all excited about FA signings and the coming year's possibilites, but no, i don't think it is appropriate to talk a lot of smack when the deck is loaded.  

funny..... i love a lot of yankee players. just think the organization is bad for baseball.

You still have to win the games. Money ain't everything. Ask the New York Rangers and New York Mets. The Yanks spend the money but get the job done.

In MHO your all missing the point.

It's a business and your thinking it still a "sport".

In business you all know the expressions "you have to spend money ....."

Yankees spend money to put out a good product and are able to reap the rewards of that action.

Now I know why people dislike Microsoft, IBM and other sucessful businesses.

Bier Meister:

there is never a guarantee of winning it all, but the odds sure get stacked and i get sick of it as a fan.

it's not just the money (but money is a major draw)...... it's the players they get (like the lakers getting Malone/Payton and the av's getting selanne/Kayria). it's adding to a pre-existing championship caliber team. i think it's a very different scenario than the Marlins signing a Pierre and Pudge.

jack,

you ever gamble? i am not a hugh gambler but will from time to time. i tend to do much better when i start off with more cash at the beginning of the night. when you have such a large monitary advantage over your competition there is a greater margin of error. monopolies are not good for business or sports.

HUGH ONE:

having been born and raised in NY, am not allowed to be vocal about the success of my team because the management spends money? C'mon, that's a load of doo-doo IMO. Why can the Yanks spend money? Because they have it, which is because of the fans, right?

Ok, you're from New York. Hypothetically, if you were a good fan, you totally would have the right to root for the Yankees.

But unfortunately, Yankee fans around the country just root for the winning team, and they think it's really funny to make fun of Boston. Those are the people who need to be stabbed.

I remember when people started walking around CT in the early 90s with Cowboys jackets and hats. Do you have any idea how stupid that looked? "Oh I've always been a fan." Really? I don't think so.

Only in baseball, New York KEEPS winning because there is no salary cap, so there is no karmic retribution for the fake New York fans.

IMHO... to root for a team, you have to have rooted for them through a bad period in the team history so you can say (or just insinuate), "I told you they'd win! Even when they sucked, I knew!". That's what being a fan is.

The modern Yankees never have any sucky seasons, and I can't even remember the last time they had two mediocre seasons in a row... so, nobody has the right to be a fanatical Yankee fan and rub it in the face of other team's fans.

Cheer for your team? Fine. But not too loudly if they've never had a losing record in your lifetime... thumbs_u

AtomicCEO:

Hypothetically, if you were a good fan.

I am a good fan, just not of the Yankees. brow :D

AtomicCEO:

it's really funny to make fun of Boston.  

I think it's hysterical to make fun of Boston. Talk about a loud-mouthed town that deserves what they get. Besides, the curse of the bambino is one of very few remaining lores in professional sports that is absolutely amazing. An entire city is miserable because they can't win a championship.

AtomicCEO:

karmic retribution

Just wanted to acknowledge the fact that I really liked this phrase. :cool: thumbs_u

AtomicCEO:

The modern Yankees never have any sucky seasons, and I can't even remember the last time they had two mediocre seasons in a row... so, nobody has the right to be a fanatical Yankee fan and rub it in the face of other team's fans.

3 sub .500 seasons in a row from '65-'67, as well as 4 in a row from '89-'92 .Their worst season was 51 wins and 103 losses in 1908. Since 1903, they have had 20 losing seasons. Not trying to make much of point here, just figured it was interesting to know.

AtomicCEO:

But not too loudly if they've never had a losing record in your lifetime...    thumbs_u  

2 things here. First, you've seen the losing seasons above. Second, it's not the fans fault even if they didn't have a losing season IMO.

In case you care, I found the history here:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ory_results.jsp

You know what's amazing? They drew 2.2 million fans in 1946. Amazing. Just stands out for some reason.

Anyway, I'm done. Just my .02 cents.

HUGH ONE:

AtomicCEO:

But not too loudly if they've never had a losing record in your lifetime...     thumbs_u    

2 things here. First, you've seen the losing seasons above. Second, it's not the fans fault even if they didn't have a losing season IMO. Thanks for looking up the stats... I'm lazy. :D

I guess my point is, if you haven't had a losing season in 10 years, if you've won the division for 5 straight years, and you have won every 4th World Series in the past 100 years... it's considered bad taste to rub it in.

If you were the biggest kid on the playground and you won every pickup basketball game you were in, who would want to play you at lunchtime?

And along those same lines, if you were an loudmouthed ass about it for 10 years on the same playground, someone would be happily stabbing you while you slept.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't awake for hours after the Red Sox lost game seven... plotting ways to kill George Steinbrenner. True story. In the end, I decided that it would reflect badly on the Red Sox organization if one of us killed him. I'm not ruling out an accident though. lol

:D you'll have to excuse the atomic pri*k. i have been arguing with bo sox fans over the past 2 weeks and he is by far the biggest Ahole i have dealt with. i am sure being bested, yet again, by the "evil empire" has further fueled his bitterness. wall_bas angry shrug bawling not to mention that a franchise that's only been around for 10 years now has 2 world series titles while his team hasn't won one in any of our life times jester head_ban

It's not just Yankee fans that are arseholes though. You can find idiot fans of every team in every sport. Scan these boards and you find them everywhere. To single out Yankee fans is incorrect IMHO. The fact is also that success breeds loudmouths. The fact that there are a few loudmouthed Yankee fans doesn't mean logically that all Yankee fans are idiots or that even a higher percentage of them are. What's wrongwith baseball isn't the Yankees, it's the system. I don't blame them one bit for trying to win and spending the money to do so. If the league had any sack when the collective bargaining agreement was on the table they would have brought in scrubs to play a full season and just waited the players out 'til they caved and agreed to a salary cap.

You can find idiot fans of every team in every sport. Scan these boards and you find them everywhere. To single out Yankee fans is incorrect IMHO. The fact is also that success breeds loudmouths. The fact that there are a few loudmouthed Yankee fans doesn't mean logically that all Yankee fans are idiots or that even a higher percentage of them are.  
Totally agreed. The only reason the Yankees were singled out in my statement was because of the way the post developed. As a matter of fact, I work with one Yankee fan, in particular, who I have a great deal of respect for because we can sit and talk baseball. We still get our jabs in here and there, but trash talk is part of any sport.

When the trash talk BECOMES the sport, we have bigger problems.

What's wrongwith baseball isn't the Yankees, it's the system. I don't blame them one bit for trying to win and spending the money to do so. If the league had any sack when the collective bargaining agreement was on the table they would have brought in scrubs to play a full season and just waited the players out 'til they caved and agreed to a salary cap.

Totally agreed again. This is why I had posted that I do not blame George for the Yankees, I blame the sport. Nothing will pelase me more than 2006 when freakin Bud Selig finally steps down. Maybe then they can get a real commissioner in there who can get a better handle on the game itself.

Yep. I don't mean to give the wrong impression here.

George Steinbrenner isn't doing anything wrong... baseball is wrong for letting him do it legally. Still, I think if he had "an accident", the Yankees would probably have a downward dip for a while... I don't despise him, my homicidal thoughts were purely utilitarian. :D

And, I've tried to be careful not to say anything bad about "all Yankee fans". Being from CT, I know a lot of Yankee fans. I just hate the obnoxious ones. For example: Fans who aren't from New York or the surrounding area, and have no concept of how deep the rivalry really goes between New York and Boston who make snotty unprovoked posts on bulletin boards telling Boston fans to "go cry in their chowder". Those people are lame, ignorant ass-clowns. Any objections to that?

And I'm not completely blind either... I realize that the Red Sox have the #2 payroll in baseball, and that probably the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Devil Rays probably hate the fact that we spend so much money, because at least we have a shot at the wild card every year.

Let's not forget that the Yankees were an afterthought from 1982-1995.  
You are 100% correct here also. George has basically done the same thing to the team AGAIN. He gets so blinded by winning it all that he literally "mortgages the farm" for the betterment of this years team. Even if he isn't making them much better.

Honestly, was Aaron Boone worth Brandon Claussen?? I think not. Claussen is a good lefty who George just threw aside to get his "All-Star" third baseman.

I am hoping that George has done the same damage he did back in 1981. If you recall, the last time the Yankees lost a "do or die" game at home in the playoffs was 1981, right before their slide. Goerge has stuck his fingers into the team too much this year, and they may pay for it for a few years.

And ATOMIC -- Actually the Mets were #2 in payroll this year. I think the Sox were third or fourth, but it's a point well taken. The whole sport needs to be changed.

Trojanmojo

You are correct and it might not even take an accident to George.  He's been prone to shooting himself in the foot in the past and I doubt he has changed signifigantly.

Ever since 2000 when the Yankees lost to the Diamondbacks, George has been a cancer to the Yankees. He has started getting back to his old ways of being too involved with the team and causing problems just like before their championship run began. Sure, the Yankees will stay competitive, but all of you Yankee haters should not be so blind to see that when George starts causing trouble, the Yankees don't win.

• 3 months later...
leprachaun:

is it some kind of great accomplishment to last a year here? this is real hard, let me tell you. typing words really wears me out!    take_a_b   we can't all be as cool as you oh great atomic pri*k!

I live close to you...beware of coonasses creeping in the night...

rajn angry cajn

AtomicCEO:

leprachaun:

:D    you'll have to excuse the atomic pri*k. i have been arguing with bo sox fans over the past 2 weeks and he is by far the biggest Ahole i have dealt with.  

:confused:

Another friggin newbie tool. You won't last the year here.

computer And he didn't. Last post was on 12/18 here smash

I've always found it fascinating that everyone is so concerned about George's personal finances. No one wants him to spend money on players, I guess they rather him keep the money for himself.

I'm sure that everyone complained about the Yanks payroll from 82-95, when the Yankees didn't win anything. Probably also hated the Yanks payroll in the 40's & 50's & 60's when the Yankees won every other year.

If the Sox won, I'm sure they wouldn't have celebrated, because of the way they "bought" their entire bullpen over the course of the season, and now that they've bought Foulke & Schilling too, they'll never be able to celebrate. It is too bad the player payrolls are really high, who gave a $160 million/8 year contract to Manny again? But its OK whenever anyone else does it, when the Yankees do it, its wrong.