[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The MTV Poll

DMD

MTV  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What is your relationship to MTV?

• watch it now
    • Liked it before but no longer watch
    • Never liked it
    • Never even seen it

I was reading this article about how MTV was planning on 16 new reality shows and I read the comments which every single one echoed my thoughts - who watches MTV anymore? It has no music on it. The station that was cool in the 80's because it was non-stop music videos has not become nothing but reality shows with whiny brats.

One commenter was intersting. He said they dropped the videos because they did not own them and do shows that they do own because they make more money that way. But it seems a sham to still consider it "Music" TV.

Does anyone still like it?

I was of the right age (18-19) when MTV first came out. I was their target demographic. Once again I see the world through different eyes than my contemporaries as I hated it then, never watched the videos as I thought they took away from the music, and the only thing MTV ever did worthwhile was Beavis and Butthead. I for the life of me can't understand how they make money.

Loved it for the first few years when it was music videos, then my viewing became pretty sporadic when they became more tv show oriented... I've enjoyed some of the past animated shows (Beavis & Butthead, Aeon Flux, etc,) watched some of the seasons of Real World, but that channel just can't hold my interest anymore. It's nothing but fly-over territory now as I flip through the channels.

Liked it when it first came out but havent watched it in a very long time. Jackass was the best thing to come out of mtv in the last 10 years imo

I was thinking that the only reason I've tuned into MTV over the last 10 years was for Jackass.

Before condemning it as "teh suxxorz" though... I was leaving open the very real possibility that MTV is just not targeted to me now that I'm old and crotchety. I'm at least 10 years out of their target demo. I'm lame now.

Their excuse is that they've bought out VH1 (videos) and have MTV2 (videos)...

You won't find many videos (if any ever) on the original MTV because, believe it or not, tons of people (kids) actually watch the reality TV garbage.

One commenter was intersting. He said they dropped the videos because they did not own them and do shows that they do own because they make more money that way.

They didn't OWN the videos, but they were promotional clips - they cost NOTHING. MTV from the 80s had virtually no production costs.

Their excuse is that they've bought out VH1 (videos) and have MTV2 (videos)...

You won't find many videos (if any ever) on the original MTV because, believe it or not, tons of people (kids) actually watch the reality TV garbage.

Have you watched VH1 or MTV2 lately? Same reality stuff that's on MTV.

VH1 Classic is the lone holdout left for actual music videos on cable.

MTV is still on the air??

That's what I was thinking too.

The novelty of it was interesting, briefly. But it turned out that most videos were just the artist singing their song with some token trappings around them (or similarly uninteresting stuff) and it got old really quick. And I think maybe people finally figured out that music is to be listened to, not "watched."

That's what I was thinking too.

The novelty of it was interesting, briefly. But it turned out that most videos were just the artist singing their song with some token trappings around them (or similarly uninteresting stuff) and it got old really quick. And I think maybe people finally figured out that music is to be listened to, not "watched."

Well, if you subscribe to the "95% of everything is crap" theory, of COURSE most videos are gonna be weak...but among the rote performance clips, there are some gems:

The Minutemen's "This Ain't No Picnic" (maybe not the best, but the use of Ronald Reagan is awesome)

- his earlier vids were mean-spirited, and so is this, but he skewers himself as bad as anyone else. The dancing bin Laden is hilarious.

when I was a kid it seemed pretty cool. watched it quite a bit. in high school, I think I watched some of the "specialty" video shows...120 minutes, headbangers ball, yo mtv raps. in college, beavis and butthead. other than that, not much. there was a show on a few years ago called "boiling points" that I sorta got a kick out of -- a candid camera thing that tried to piss people off and they won if they held their cool. it seems like all it is now is the dumb hook-up shows with horny college kids.

when I was a kid it seemed pretty cool. watched it quite a bit. in high school, I think I watched some of the "specialty" video shows...120 minutes, headbangers ball, yo mtv raps. in college, beavis and butthead. other than that, not much. there was a show on a few years ago called "boiling points" that I sorta got a kick out of -- a candid camera thing that tried to piss people off and they won if they held their cool. it seems like all it is now is the dumb hook-up shows with horny college kids.

:wacko: So, what exactly is wrong with that?

:D