[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Valkyrie

Skilly

Went to see Valkyrie on Christmas day. Although I've heard differing reports on how accurate the storyline is, I enjoyed this movie. Perhaps not as much action as I would have liked, but the political intrigue and behind-the-scenes plotting was interesting. Would have been a very complicated task to pull off even if everything went according to plan.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not knowingly put a penny into Tom Cruise's coffers. It could be the best movie of all time and I'd only see it if it were free.

He is such an off-putting human being that I just can't imagine enjoying another movie with him in it. I guess if something comes out that everyone agrees is an amazing must-see movie, then I might check it out, but I'm not going to waste my time and money without rave reviews ahead of time. Just seeing his face in magazines, etc. makes me snarl with contempt.

I enjoyed it more than expected, but the ending was somewhat unsatisfying. Of course I knew how it ended (in the general sense), but it left me feeling like the movie was a solid setup with a very so-so ending. All that said, this movie is not the unwatchable piece of crap that some would have you believe.

Edited by TDFFFreak

He is such an off-putting human being that I just can't imagine enjoying another movie with him in it.... Just seeing his face in magazines, etc. makes me snarl with contempt.

If you don't want to stock the coffers of reprehensible human beings, you might as well give up on major pro and college sports, film, television, and popular music.

Organized religion and books are also highly suspect.

Went to see Valkyrie on Christmas day. Although I've heard differing reports on how accurate the storyline is, I enjoyed this movie. Perhaps not as much action as I would have liked, but the political intrigue and behind-the-scenes plotting was interesting. Would have been a very complicated task to pull off even if everything went according to plan.

My wife's uncle said it was 100% in line with the Gregory Peck version. Whether the original aligned with the actual historical storyline could be in question... although that's to be expected given the circumstances.

If you don't want to stock the coffers of reprehensible human beings, you might as well give up on major pro and college sports, film, television, and popular music.

Organized religion and books are also highly suspect.

Mmm, OK. For the most part, I don't spend much money on that stuff. I go to the occasional movie, pretty well only watch sports on TV and well sure, my son spend a bunch on his iTunes account, but that's it really.

I just find Cruise extra reprehensible, mainly because of the skads of cash the Scientologists bilk out of their low level followers all the while funding sketchy "research" against psychiatry. He's a dangerous human being.

I just find Cruise extra reprehensible, mainly because of the skads of cash the Scientologists bilk out of their low level followers all the while funding sketchy "research" against psychiatry. He's a dangerous human being.

:wacko: I'm certainly not defending Cruise, I'm just saying that making that "not contributing $$$ to reprehensible people" stand is a move that leaves you open to attacks of hypocrisy.

As someone said when I took made comment that I refused to watch Roman Polanski films - "do you vet the cast and crew of every film you DO watch?"

So, if you do, here's a list of Scientologists

* Beck, musician

* Nancy Cartwright, voice-over actress

* Chick Corea, musician

* Jenna Elfman, actress

* Isaac Hayes, musician and actor (deceased 2008)

* Jason Lee, actor

* Geoffrey Lewis, actor

* Juliette Lewis, actress

* Christopher Masterson, actor, raised Scientologist

* Danny Masterson, actor

* Priscilla Presley, actress

* Lisa Marie Presley, singer

* Leah Remini, actress

* Giovanni Ribisi, actor

* Billy Sheehan, rock bassist

* Ethan Suplee, actor

* John Travolta, actor

* Greta Van Susteren, television show host

* Edgar Winter, musician

:wacko: I'm certainly not defending Cruise, I'm just saying that making that "not contributing $$$ to reprehensible people" stand is a move that leaves you open to attacks of hypocrisy.

As someone said when I took made comment that I refused to watch Roman Polanski films - "do you vet the cast and crew of every film you DO watch?"

So, if you do, here's a list of Scientologists

* Beck, musician

* Nancy Cartwright, voice-over actress

* Chick Corea, musician

* Jenna Elfman, actress

* Isaac Hayes, musician and actor (deceased 2008)

* Jason Lee, actor

* Geoffrey Lewis, actor

* Juliette Lewis, actress

* Christopher Masterson, actor, raised Scientologist

* Danny Masterson, actor

* Priscilla Presley, actress

* Lisa Marie Presley, singer

* Leah Remini, actress

* Giovanni Ribisi, actor

* Billy Sheehan, rock bassist

* Ethan Suplee, actor

* John Travolta, actor

* Greta Van Susteren, television show host

* Edgar Winter, musician

We get what you're sayin', Chavez... but I gather that Czar's point is that Cruise is extra gung-ho in terms of spreading the koo-koo-ness of this "religion". I honestly had no idea (of the names I recognized) some of those people were Scientologists. Why? Because they're not shoving it down our throats every chance they get.

:D

So he's the "face" of Scientology...sure, I get it.

And yeah, Scientology is more of a crock than most other religions.

But still, I know FAR more people that think Cruise is a whack-job jerkoff than I do who go "hmmm, Jerry Maguire likes this scientology stuff, maybe I'll kick a few Gs that way and give it a whirl."

He's less dangerous than having Evangelicals who think that the arrival of the end times is a GOOD thing with their hands on the nuclear buttons (see "Bush Administration, The")

We get what you're sayin', Chavez... but I gather that Czar's point is that Cruise is extra gung-ho in terms of spreading the koo-koo-ness of this "religion". I honestly had no idea (of the names I recognized) some of those people were Scientologists. Why? Because they're not shoving it down our throats every chance they get.

:wacko:

Spot on. You can also lump me into the group of people who refuse to watch a Cruise movie. But, I'd watch a Travolta movie for exactly the reason you have noted above.

So he's the "face" of Scientology...sure, I get it.

And yeah, Scientology is more of a crock than most other religions.

But still, I know FAR more people that think Cruise is a whack-job jerkoff than I do who go "hmmm, Jerry Maguire likes this scientology stuff, maybe I'll kick a few Gs that way and give it a whirl."

He's less dangerous than having Evangelicals who think that the arrival of the end times is a GOOD thing with their hands on the nuclear buttons (see "Bush Administration, The")

FWIW I agree with you.... I won't NOT see Valkyrie, for example, just because Cruise is a nutjob. In fact, I'm on board with the thinking that ALL actors (and heck, athletes) make WAY too much money ... but boycotting viewing them either on screen or play live wouldn't make a sliver of a difference - just a principle-based feeling of doing what you can. Perhaps that's all Czar wants and needs.

Spot on. You can also lump me into the group of people who refuse to watch a Cruise movie. But, I'd watch a Travolta movie for exactly the reason you have noted above.

See, to me, parsing that fine seems sorta stupid. It isn't as if Travolta or the Presleys aren't kickin' tons of dolla to the Church of Scientology; they may not be putting as public a face on it but you're still contributing (albeit indirectly) to the coffers.

Edited by Chavez

FWIW I agree with you.... I won't NOT see Valkyrie, for example, just because Cruise is a nutjob. In fact, I'm on board with the thinking that ALL actors (and heck, athletes) make WAY too much money ... but boycotting viewing them either on screen or play live wouldn't make a sliver of a difference - just a principle-based feeling of doing what you can. Perhaps that's all Czar wants and needs.

I kinda regret that Savage was the guy I "jumped" on (even though I know the big boy can take it) as he was more along the lines of being off-put by Cruise's screen presence - which is probably overwhelming in a tent-pole movie like that.

My main issue with Valkyrie is, yeah, it's a Cruise movie, but it has a Murderer's Row of talent - Tom Wilkinson, Terence Stamp, Bill Nighy - who I've seen do too much quality work to think that the movie is total trash.

See, to me, parsing that fine seems sorta stupid. It isn't as if Travolta or the Presleys aren't kickin' tons of dolla to the Church of Scientology; they may not be putting as public a face on it but you're still contributing (albeit indirectly) to the coffers.

I don't like Tom Cruise for pushing his views in such a public fashion. I don't have a problem with Scientology itself. It's like having a Jehovah witnesscome to my door and try to preach to me. That specific person would bother me but that doesn't mean I have a problem with what a Jehovah witness believes. Just don't push it on me.

Am I the only one that watches movies for the story alone? I rarely can remember who was in what movie and could not care less. I don't know many actors names beyond about a dozen or so either.

For the most part I am the same way. The only actor or actress I refuse to watch is Cruise. I don't know if I could name a dozen actors off the top of my head either.

I don't like Tom Cruise for pushing his views in such a public fashion. I don't have a problem with Scientology itself. It's like having a Jehovah witnesscome to my door and try to preach to me. That specific person would bother me but that doesn't mean I have a problem with what a Jehovah witness believes. Just don't push it on me.

It isn't the belief, it's just the people who are crass enough to take it outside church. :wacko:

Fair enough. I guess Cruise's Scientology crap doesn't impact me much because I don't watch those garbage fluff pieces where celebrities talk about anything.

Because for every reasonable, well-informed, interesting entertainer there are what appears to be scores of retards.

Oh, an exception to absolute reprehensible retards in the entertainment industry would be Scandinavian Black Metal bands - I don't like the music and the whole scene is pretty ridiculous, but the interviews are GLORIOUS fun.

I kinda regret that Savage was the guy I "jumped" on (even though I know the big boy can take it) as he was more along the lines of being off-put by Cruise's screen presence - which is probably overwhelming in a tent-pole movie like that.

Ahhhhhh, get off me! :wacko:

It's really pretty simple for me. He bugs me. I don't feel like watching movies with him in it because he bugs me. It's not any more complicated than that. If that makes me a hypocrite for enjoying other forms of entertainment that celebrate similar people, then so be it. :D