[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Bartenders in the house ?

whomper

Just finished my first weekend of Bartending school. 10-6 Saturday and Sunday

as far as the time goes it was actually pretty good. We got out 1 hour early on both days. Next weekend its 2 more 8 hour days and then 1 final saturday which is just the written test and the speed test.

We did a ton of drinks this weekend. My strength is in my study habits and memory so as of right now I cant remember too many of these drinks but by the time I get back there next Saturday I will have em down as far as what the contents and amounts are. We did everything free pour and we use the count system. This is where I had some difficulty. I had a tough time counting when putting in 2 different things at the same time if 1 got 2oz and one only got a 1/4. They said eventually you wont need to count and you can just eyeball it.

The school is pretty thorough. I think half the drinks I made this weekend may have killed the patron but we were moving fast and I didnt have the contents down to memory yet. My mix and speed will get better when I dont have to spend time remembering what goes in the drink.

So far so good but it seems like it will take a while to get the hang of it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrific Whomp! Like quite a few have said already.....learn from this class, but more often than not, any place you work will have their own idea of the perfect pour. Learn ratios moreso than actual ounces. How a drink should taste when done. (Well...not for your test.....lol. Ace the test.....then fine tune for yourself.....lol) Counting is good at first.....but they're right. Eventually it's feel and eyeballing. Thicker liquors don't pour at the same rate. Glassware may be different so a shot on ice looks different. It will all depend on where you get a job.

Liquor costs are probably the most important percentages in the biz. Most restaurants offset food costs and labor costs with liquor costs (better percentage than food). Consequently most places rely heavily on bartenders to keep those costs in line and keep the drinks flowing. For example, Marriott insisted we use jiggers for every standard pour. A "shot" for them was 1 1/4 oz. So every recipe we made was based off that 1 1/4 oz shot. For other places, 1 1/2 oz may be their standard "shot". Or just 1 oz.

If you can get your quick count down to 4 per ounce......then a count of 5 will equal 1 1/4.....6 = 1 1/2.

I don't know how they are teaching you to count......don't want to screw you up. But this helped me out a lot at first when I freepoured.

Just for fun.....Mary and I used to test ourselves once in a while......lol. Free pour into an empty glass......transfer it to the jigger......see who came closest to the drop. :wacko:

+1

When doing shots, those nice little lines are always handy. I've seen bartenders hit the line right on the dot and I've seen others fill the shot glass to the top. Its all about keeping your customer happy while still making sure you don't lose the bar any money by over pouring. I've seen alot of "good" bartenders lose there job because they over pour.

Edited by tazinib1

There was an old custom in bars around Chicago. It was called the "Spider Drink". I'll define it later, but has anyone ever heard of that? Few if any bars respect it anymore.

Forcing you to go to school during the NFL playoffs could drive a man to drink.

:wacko:

No doubt that has been a kick in the nuts but I want to get to work early next month if I can find a place and I am doing this with my brother so we wanted to get certified the same time. Congrats on your Birds by the way.

Just finished weekend 2 of school

We did a mixture of theory and speed drills this weekend. Heavy emphasis on the speed drills. The theory is needed to pass the written test. Pretty basic stuff. Classifications of wines , countries of origins of liquor, fermentation and so on. I dont think I will have a problem with the written.

My speed is pretty good but our speed test in order to get the certificate is 20 drinks in 6 minutes. They gave us a list of hundreds of drinks that they could potentially ask us to make. Once I have all of them to memory my speed will improve. It sounds like a lot but dont forget a good portion of them are simple and explained when ordering them like a jack and coke or gin and tonic etc. Right now what slows me down are the shots and thats because I havent studied them yet. When I get the shots to memory I think I will be OK. The shots and the drinks that have a hugh mixture of stuff are what slow you down in the test . Things like a long island Iced tea. The ingridients are right in your well and on the gun but it is a lot of stuff.

We are at a slight disadvantage on the speed drills because we have a ringer in our class that is lightning fast and she is setting our pace. We get 2 drinks at a time during the speed drills and as soon as someone is finished with the 2 they say "Done" and the instructor moves on to the next 2 drinks. The ringer is done before the rest of us have our ice in the 2nd glass so we all fall behind. She is actually a cool girl. Her boyfriend owns a club and she is a cocktail waitress that works behind the bar as well . She is taking the course because she is going behind the bar full time.

Next saturday is hopefully my last day. If I pass the written and speed test I get my certificate. The written should be no problem. 20 drinks in 6 minutes :wacko:

Edited by whomper

We did a mixture of theory and speed drills this weekend. Heavy emphasis on the speed drills. The theory is needed to pass the written test. Pretty basic stuff. Classifications of wines , countries of origins of liquor, fermentation and so on. I dont think I will have a problem with the written.

My speed is pretty good but our speed test in order to get the certificate is 20 drinks in 6 minutes. They gave us a list of hundreds of drinks that they could potentially ask us to make. Once I have all of them to memory my speed will improve. It sounds like a lot but dont forget a good portion of them are simple and explained when ordering them like a jack and coke or gin and tonic etc. Right now what slows me down are the shots and thats because I havent studied them yet. When I get the shots to memory I think I will be OK. The shots and the drinks that have a hugh mixture of stuff are what slow you down in the test . Things like a long island Iced tea. The ingridients are right in your well and on the gun but it is a lot of stuff.

We are at a slight disadvantage on the speed drills because we have a ringer in our class that is lightning fast and she is setting our pace. We get 2 drinks at a time during the speed drills and as soon as someone is finished with the 2 they say "Done" and the instructor moves on to the next 2 drinks. The ringer is done before the rest of us have our ice in the 2nd glass so we all fall behind. She is actually a cool girl. Her boyfriend owns a club and she is a cocktail waitress that works behind the bar as well . She is taking the course because she is going behind the bar full time.

Next saturday is hopefully my last day. If I pass the written and speed test I get my certificate. The written should be no problem. 20 drinks in 6 minutes :wacko:

Captain and coke for me :D

And I got my job by sitting in a bar drunk and asking the owner is he needed another bartender.

But this is Wisconsin.

And I got my job by sitting in a bar drunk and asking the owner is he needed another bartender.

But this is Wisconsin.

You can really do that here as well as you dont need to be certified but I have always been a beer drinker and didnt have much mixed drink knowledge at all so I think I would have been too green for anyone to hang in with. Plus I wanted to take advantage of this schools placement program.

Besides one of those friggin' awesome little umbrellas, what can I put in my cranberry juice and vodka to "kick it up a notch"?

:wacko: also know as a cape cod

Whomp, I'd say that you have nothing to worry about.

:wacko: Me and my brother are taking the class. I just sent this to him. He is cracking up

I officially got certified today. I got a 99 on the written test and did 20 drinks in 5 minutes and 40 seconds. Some girl in my class did it in 3:45 :wow: Drinks are on me :wacko:

I officially got certified today. I got a 99 on the written test and did 20 drinks in 5 minutes and 40 seconds. Some girl in my class did it in 3:45 :wow: Drinks are on me :wacko:

Congrats!! :D

I'll pop your layered drink cherry and take a duck fart please.

:D:D

Congrats whomp. Didn't have to make a Gorilla Fart did you?

:D

Edit: I had one of those bad boys once.......... once.

Edited by darin3