[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slumdog Millionaire

darin3

So me and the wife decide to go watch Slumdog Millionaire last night. The wife has some odd obsession with all things India, and we've always tried to catch the movies up for big awards at the theater. Well, this flick did not disappoint.

I believe the score for the film won a Golden Globe, and rightly so. It was awesome, especially in the tenser/higher-paced portions of the film. It's up for Best Picture (Oscars), and I think it certainly has a chance.

For me, the first half of the movie was shot incredibly well... and not saying the second half wasn't shot well... but I noticed a difference. First half of the movie was faster-paced, and despite most of it being subtitled (in a unique way, too), I enjoyed it more than the second half, which seemed to have points where it dragged a bit.

Maybe I read way too much into it, but the message (at least to me) of the movie really hit home for me. Who we are really is a collection of our memories.

I give it a 9/10 and recommend watching it at the theater for maximum enjoyment.

Edited by darin3

Gist of the movie for those wondering what it's about:

- A story about two uneducated brothers brought up in the slums of India, one of which ends up winning the highest earnings in India's version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

How could a poor kid without any form of education answer so many questions about the world correctly? Experience.

Beautifully written/acted and some eye opening life experiences throughout the movie.

Gets two thumbs up from me.

• 1 month later...

Watched it tonight on the airplane ride from Dallas to Seattle. What a unique piece of storytelling. One of the better films I've watched in the last few years.

I know that Pulp Fiction had a lukewarmish recent "recall" thread on this forum lately, but this movie really reminded my of that in the way I became more enthralled as the movie went on with a truly original delivery.

Watched it tonight on the airplane ride from Dallas to Seattle. What a unique piece of storytelling. One of the better films I've watched in the last few years.

I know that Pulp Fiction had a lukewarmish recent "recall" thread on this forum lately, but this movie really reminded my of that in the way I became more enthralled as the movie went on with a truly original delivery.

Agree. Try watching it again, especially if you have an HDTV and a killer sound system.

Interesting comparison to Pulp Fiction; both films did have a unique way of pulling you closer to the story and yearning to see how things turn out.

saw it a couple weekends ago and was pretty impressed. the score absolutely kicks ass. the cinematography too. I thought it could have been better with a less corny/hollywood ending. the acting was really only OK (I LOVED the millionaire host guy, though). but taken as a whole, it was a very unique, memorable, well-done flick. :wacko:

edit to add: the movie it reminded me of most was "city of god", made in the slums of rio. and I would say city of god was even better. easily one of the best movies I've seen from this decade. if you liked slumdog and haven't seen it, you should check it out.

Edited by Azazello1313

saw it a couple weekends ago and was pretty impressed. the score absolutely kicks ass. the cinematography too. I thought it could have been better with a less corny/hollywood ending. the acting was really only OK (I LOVED the millionaire host guy, though). but taken as a whole, it was a very unique, memorable, well-done flick. :wacko:

edit to add: the movie it reminded me of most was "city of god", made in the slums of rio. and I would say city of god was even better. easily one of the best movies I've seen from this decade. if you liked slumdog and haven't seen it, you should check it out.

I liked the host guy too. Totally over the top (in real life, too) but that's exactly what that part needed.

I'll need to check out City of God, apparently. Thanks for the recommendation/tie-in.

One of the best movies ever, period. The common link is the children and the slums. However, the overall story is way more like 'Goodfellas' than it is like 'Slumdog'.

ETA: And I say that not to poo poo the comparison of the two films, but to reiterate that they are not as similar in tone as the plots unfold.

Edited by godtomsatan

I thought it could have been better with a less corny/hollywood ending.

I was wondering how they were going to pull it off without the corny ending and not really expecting it would happen. So, it also had that going for it.

Edited by bushwacked

One of the best movies ever, period. The common link is the children and the slums. However, the overall story is way more like 'Goodfellas' than it is like 'Slumdog'.

ETA: And I say that not to poo poo the comparison of the two films, but to reiterate that they are not as similar in tone as the plots unfold.

absolutely, and that's primarily why I thought "city of god" was better. the despair is more real, and the hope appears in tiny little glimmers rather than a big, sticky-sweet hollywood ending. but a lot of the things I thought were really awesome about slumdog reminded me very much of "city of god".