[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Does anyone know how much talent it takes

MojoMan

So there's a lot of talk about executive compensation and Obama's and McCaskill's proposals to curb "excessive" executive compensation for those whose companies are getting bailed out.

The sour grapes side of me likes this idea. Really, who is worth $20M?

However, what if we assume that that high compensation is buying rare talent? So, it goes to follow that you take away the compensation, the talent leaves, and the company declines even more.

I have little experience with high-powered executive types. I worked for a small company some time ago that had recruited a bunch of large company execs. As a middle-manager, I did have a fair amount of contact with them. I was not impressed. They didn't seem to work harder or make better decisions or know more than any other number of people I have worked for or with. However, these were not Jack Welch or Rick Waggoner. These were senior VPs at a company with revenues of about $4B/annum.

Do any of you guys have experience working with a high-powered exec? Do we stand to lose overall by potentially pushing them out of their highly paid CEO-type jobs?

Just wondering.

Edited by MojoMan

I've found that the number one skill of any executive is speaking with confidence in a manner in which other people (specifically board members) believe and trust what you say.

I wish I had that quality, but I'll have to settle for being very good at actually accomplishing tasks that make companies profitable.

I've found that the number one skill of any executive is speaking with confidence in a manner in which other people (specifically board members) believe and trust what you say.

I think you're right. Unfortunately, what is not required, is actually being right in what you say.

I wish I had that quality, but I'll have to settle for being very good at actually accomplishing tasks that make companies profitable.

+1

Most execs I know are very high in the bullsheet quota with very little substance backing them up. They talk a good game, though.

On the other hand, some execs are great. You want to find real talent, look to people that found the company.

You mean like Jack from 30 Rock?

Absolutely--they must especially trust you when you tell them that you will adjust their compensation package immediately after they adjust your own compensation package.

a company's owners, through its board of directors, should be able to determine how much they want to pay senior executives in order to lure/maintain the level of talent they deem necessary.

that said, the boards of many companies seem to have done a pretty poor analysis in this regard.

in general, I don't think the government has any business whatsoever dictating this sort of thing to anyone. but I am A-OK with them dictating such terms to any company seeking or receiving government loans, bailouts, handouts, etc.

but I am A-OK with them dictating such terms to any company seeking or receiving government loans, bailouts, handouts, etc.

Exactly. You can't suckle on the gubberment teat and expect carte blanche with the money.

a company's owners, through its board of directors, should be able to determine how much they want to pay senior executives in order to lure/maintain the level of talent they deem necessary.

that said, the boards of many companies seem to have done a pretty poor analysis in this regard.

in general, I don't think the government has any business whatsoever dictating this sort of thing to anyone. but I am A-OK with them dictating such terms to any company seeking or receiving government loans, bailouts, handouts, etc.

I agree with what you wrote but you didn't say what that talent was that were deciding what to pay.

Absolutely--they must especially trust you when you tell them that you will adjust their compensation package immediately after they adjust your own compensation package.

That's the circle jerk that's led to these insane compensation levels.

I have dealt with a few pretty powerful exec's worth a ridiculous amount of money ...

The thing that stuck out for me , was there knowledge and intelligence ...They new not only the big details but the smllaest details about their business and company ...They really had a pulse on everything that was going on

They spoke in a way that made you believe them without a doubt ...strong leadership skills , but also they showed little or no fear in taking chances ...They truly believe in themselves , their cause and their company with tremendous confidence

Edited by isleseeya