[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Cold / Flu medicine

Menudo

O.k. So, I'm in Mt. Olive, NJ for work. I have a big presentation and other work due over the next two days. I procrastinated some work, so drove the 2.5 hours to the hotel early this afternoon. On the drive, I started with sinus congestion, followed by a sore throat, followed by a headache. I stopped and got some Alka Seltzer cold at a gas station. The choices were limited, and it matched my symptoms. When I got to the hotel, instead of working, I layed down and took about a 3 hour nap. I'm now awake, and I'm really feeling sick. I've added a fever, chill, and aches to my symptoms. I MUST do work tonight, and I MUST present tomorrow and work both days. The Alka Seltzer seems to be barely touching this. Does anyone have a recommendation. I'm going to have to work through it regardless, but, right now, I feel miserable. :wacko: Help please.......

If you can get to a Safeway or a Long's get your hands on Oscillococcinum. Whenever I start feeling the flu I dart to the store and pick this stuff up - works magic. Friends and Family will start dropping like flies but I won't feel a thing.

While others might not agree, I think Airborne helps a lot too.

And don't be afraid to take some Advil or Tylenol when you're feeling a flu or a cold, especially if you need to get stuff done - it makes it much more bearable.

ETA: Walmart also claims to carry Oscillo

Edited by kpholmes

I just got over the flu. Used a cocktail of DayQuil gel caps, ColdEeze, and Fisherman's Friend (best menthol lozenge EVER. . .ask for it at the drug store). Also drank lots of hot tea and many very hot showers to clear out the nose and sinuses.

Unfortunately, once you have a cold, you can mask the symptoms with this stuff, but the only way to get rid of it is let it run its course.

GL.

If you can get to a Safeway or a Long's get your hands on Oscillococcinum. Whenever I start feeling the flu I dart to the store and pick this stuff up - works magic. Friends and Family will start dropping like flies but I won't feel a thing.

While others might not agree, I think Airborne helps a lot too.

And don't be afraid to take some Advil or Tylenol when you're feeling a flu or a cold, especially if you need to get stuff done - it makes it much more bearable.

ETA: Walmart also claims to carry Oscillo

Thanks for the help guys. It is appreciated. KP, can you take Oscillo, Airboren, & Advil all together without an issue ? I sometimes worry about mixing meds.

Sheik, I'm definitely going to look for Fisherman's best, as my throat is the worst of it right now, as far as annoyance.

I feel pretty bad right now. I'm actually considering running out to get the meds, going to sleep and waking up at around 4 to put in the 3 hours of work I need for tomorrow. (3 hours is the safe side, probably more like 2) It's risky, but, I feel like I've got to feel better tomorrow than I do right now. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

KP, can you take Oscillo, Airboren, & Advil all together without an issue ? I sometimes worry about mixing meds.

You can take Airborne with anything, it's essentially helpful vitamins.

While I'm sure you could take the minimum dosage of Advil and Oscilio together, the website discourages it:

4. Be careful with medicines.

Children should not take any medicines containing aspirin while they have flu. If you take over-the-counter (OTC) cold or flu preparations, make certain that you're not overdosing. For example, many decongestant OTC medicines offer "all-in-one" relief; that is, they may contain fever and pain reducers. If you are also taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen separately, you may inadvertently be ingesting too much of these compounds.

I know I've done it before with out any noticeable side effects, but if it's something you're concerned about - go one or the other... with Oscillio taking priority.

There's Nyquil, then the rest. And best of all, it's like 30 proof. :wacko:

Gotta get cherry flavor of course, the green shat is gross. But I swear I could have malaria and feel OK if I downed enough of that stuff.

The sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching why the hell did I wake up on the kitchen floor cough medicine.

The zinc lozenges are very helpful as well. Zicam is also good at speeding up the recover of a cold . I agree with the airborne as well

A friend of mine recommended the Zicam swabs for the nose a year and a half ago and I have to say that they seem to work very well. Just make sure to take it at the first sign of a cold.

I only wish I could take stuff like Nyquil. I break out in hives whenever I take decongestants. :wacko:

I've found the Airborne really effective, and whether it's placebo effect or not, it works for me and I'm going with it. :D If I'm starting to get "coldy" I start pounding those things, shooting for 3 a day.

If you have chest congestion at any time, there's nothing better than Mucinex. That stuff is a gift from God. Really.

NyQuil at night, DayQuil to get me through the day. Oscillo is great but only as a preventive step, it don't really help once you're already sick. Same with Airborne.

You NyQuil people realize that they took the pseudoephedrine (decongestant) out of the regular stuff, right? It happened a couple years ago. If you really want the old school effect, you need to buy either NyQuil "D" or some of the "behind the counter" pseudoephedrine decongestant to go along with it. Right now, plain NyQuil is only a pain reliever/fever reducer, cough suppressant, and antihistamine. It doesn't do a thing for your stuffy nose anymore unless you happen to have allergies and a chest cold. Plain NyQuil is a straight waste of money IMO.

Also DayQuil no longer has the pseudoephedrine as its decongestant. It uses the less-effective (much less for me) phenylephrine.

There's good stuff out there, but ever since meth, a lot of name brand OTC medicines changed their formulas to drop pseudoephedrine. You really have to pay attention to the ingredients now more than ever.