[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

401ks?

Pope Flick

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you stop contributing?

Not sure what "what's your matrix" means. You mean investment strat?

Poor choice of word. Yes, the strat plan.

I haven't 'stopped' but I started a new job and am nearing the end of the 90 day waiting period before I can contribute. I'm setting it up this weekend and am wondering what changes anyone has made.

I'm down with the Buy Low part, as I actually jacked my contributions up at my old place over the summer when things began to slide. I haven't done anything since Dec 1, and much has changed since. :wacko:

I have increased mine starting in November and just yesterday I helped my boy sign up for his 401K with a maximum amount that he work would withhold as his choice.

I think we are in the buy low time and I wish that I would not have put then money in there that I did over the past two years and wish I had it right now to plop down at today’s rate.

However, I know nothing about investments so I could be way wrong.

I'm converting all my 403's, annuities, etc. to fixed. I'm just "tucking the nuts in" until the market gets better.Really got killed this year. Thank God i don't rely on it for income. God Bless the ones who DO have to rely on it. :wacko:

I have a fair chunk of change sitting in cash reserves right now and the only place it might go is a CD.

But my 401K I haven't touched a bit. Aggressive as ever. God bless dollar-cost averaging. Eventually.

Edited by BeeR

I just decided yesterday that

1) We haven't hit bottom yet

2) I'll have an idea when things start to turn around

If those 2 things are true (and I'm not smart enough to know for sure) then it makes sense for me to move my $ and contributions to fixed, and that is what I did.

I'm converting all my 403's, annuities, etc. to fixed. I'm just "tucking the nuts in" until the market gets better.Really got killed this year. Thank God i don't rely on it for income. God Bless the ones who DO have to rely on it. :wacko:

I just decided yesterday that

1) We haven't hit bottom yet

2) I'll have an idea when things start to turn around

If those 2 things are true (and I'm not smart enough to know for sure) then it makes sense for me to move my $ and contributions to fixed, and that is what I did.

Guys...those are classic investment mistakes. You already took a beating. Don't miss out on the upswing. Trying to time the market is a poor strategy (especially for you Kevin given your age). Sure it may go lower. But nobody knows. That's why you should invest in regular intervals. Take advantage of the cost averaging.

RR - if you aren't counting on that money in the near future don't go to fixed yet. We aren't smart enough to time the market (well at least I'm not).

The military doesnt have 401k's, they have something similar call the TSP for government employees. military members dont get matched, so i stopped contributing to it a while ago. another reason i stop is because you cant acess the money outside of a loan till your 65.

I did however open up a Roth IRA for myself and a 529 for my daughter this week.

Guys...those are classic investment mistakes. You already took a beating. Don't miss out on the upswing. Trying to time the market is a poor strategy (especially for you Kevin given your age). Sure it may go lower. But nobody knows. That's why you should invest in regular intervals. Take advantage of the cost averaging.

RR - if you aren't counting on that money in the near future don't go to fixed yet. We aren't smart enough to time the market (well at least I'm not).

Listen to the Pudster, he is wise.

I understand the theory and if the market so much as steadies, I'll get right back into my index funds.

Trying to time the market in normal economic times is certainly a poor strategy. But right now, the market is pretty predictable. I'm losing thousands every month, and I'm sick of it.

I have continued to contribute and my employer is matching but as I work for Wells Fargo and the threat of nationalization is looming I am getting really nervous. I probably need to move out of WF stock.

I'm losing thousands every month, and I'm sick of it.

I'm still fully contributing to my Roth IRAs. 5k per person per year is just too good of an investment (tax free on growth) for the wife and I's retirement. I don't need the money for over 30 years so I don't see a good reason to stop investing.

I'm taking everything I have to invest and putting it in a CD....that's the safest bet right now..

I have a fair chunk of change sitting in cash reserves right now and the only place it might go is a CD.

But my 401K I haven't touched a bit. Aggressive as ever. God bless dollar-cost averaging. Eventually.

What does Chief Dick do with the money then?

I have a 403b through Equitable to supplement when I retire. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to investing. All I know was that I was told by countless people to open an account when I started out so that it would have a nice long time to build up. Problem is like everyone else's dough, the account has only decreased in value. I'm hoping that in the long haul, the next 20+ years, things will bounce back nicely. At some point, I also need to increase my bi-weekly contributions.

What does Chief Dick do with the money then?

I have a 403b through Equitable to supplement when I retire. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to investing. All I know was that I was told by countless people to open an account when I started out so that it would have a nice long time to build up. Problem is like everyone else's dough, the account has only decreased in value. I'm hoping that in the long haul, the next 20+ years, things will bounce back nicely. At some point, I also need to increase my bi-weekly contributions.

I'm not sure what the dollar will amount to, but I'd try to put my money into another currency and let it sit where that country is...

I want to find out how to do that...or if they'll even take USD anymore :wacko:

We went thru this same crap when the tech bubble burst. The bottom fell out, 401ks took a beating. But eventually it all came back. The same is going to happen this time, just not as fast. This one may take 5 years to recoup, but it will eventually come back.

IMO, if you take what is left right now and move it into something more safer.... You are just guaranteeing you will lose money. You are making the recent losses permanent.

If you can afford it (your not living off that money now) ride it out..... Don't let the bastards take your money