[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's personally helped by the stimulus?

Randall

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the honest answer is: no one really knows.

Exactly. Nobody knows, yet we're spending $1.2 trillion dollars (again, money we don't have) on a maybe. To many of us, that seems a bit imprudent.

And way heavier regulation since business has proved it can't do it itself.

Do you really think that's the answer? I think government agencies have shown they're thoroughly incapable of enforcing the regs currently on the books. Do we really want to confuse them with more regulations? Judas, Madoff was served up on a silver platter years ago to the SEC and all they could do was :wacko:

Exactly. Nobody knows, yet we're spending $1.2 trillion dollars (again, money we don't have) on a maybe. To many of us, that seems a bit imprudent.

Do you really think that's the answer? I think government agencies have shown they're thoroughly incapable of enforcing the regs currently on the books. Do we really want to confuse them with more regulations? Judas, Madoff was served up on a silver platter years ago to the SEC and all they could do was :wacko:

Watch out ursa, you nearly made the Mormon curse! Missed it by thaaaaaaaaaaaat much... :D

Don't use my answer for a different question. Things are bad enough that I believe we cannot simply sit by and do nothing. And many conservatives, such as Tony Blankley, believe the package doesn't represent enough % of GDP to work effectively.

I think someone was paid to look the other way about Madoff or was otherwise corrupted. Madoff, though, is but a sideshow. I don't see how simple rules of "thou shalt not lend more than x times salary plus other provable and documented lump sum" would be confusing. That's how it used to work, you remember, when banks actually acted responsibly and we weren't spending trillions to stave off total disaster.

• 4 months later...
If anyone knows how to get help, please PM me some info. I'm grateful to be employed, but paycut after paycut is starting to get tiresome and this market is low-balling people in my industry big time. I talked to one employer and asked how he expected so many skills from a prospective employee for so little pay and his only response was, "that's what the market is paying."

Except that as soon as the market turns around, would that employer increase his employee's pay to the then-current market? Nope. They'd rather lose that employee.

road construction

If anyone knows how to get help, please PM me some info. I'm grateful to be employed, but paycut after paycut is starting to get tiresome and this market is low-balling people in my industry big time. I talked to one employer and asked how he expected so many skills from a prospective employee for so little pay and his only response was, "that's what the market is paying."

Except that as soon as the market turns around, would that employer increase his employee's pay to the then-current market? Nope. They'd rather lose that employee.

When market conditions change, people's salaries change. If your employer didn't adjust salaries based on market conditions (regardless of direction) he would soon be out of business.

Graphic design/marketing. My wife is in wine sales and her commissions are down too. Not that I want to share too much, but we just moved from our house, in which we put 40% down. We're unable to get a 2nd mortgage to help us out until the recession passes. Our Lender basically said they'd rather foreclose on us than lend us more money, since we put down so much.

We found tenants (a couple of doctors moving here from Texas), so we moved to a cheaper place until this all blows over. The fooking place doesn't even have AC, so we bought a portable AC unit today cuz we wouldn't survive the 100°F weather that always comes in July/August.

Where the fook is the help for people in our shoes? :wacko: Who wants to get a drink? :D

As for IT work, how long does it take to get certified? What's involved? I'm fairly computer literate now.

Dood. Learn Flash/Actionscripting first, then php. You'll be in the money in no time. (This is assuming you allready know HTML from the graphic design biz....

Graphic design/marketing.

hmm I might be able to throw a little moonlighting project your way. my wife (musician) has been wanting to design a little press kit/mailer type thing to send to event planners, wedding venues, etc. not looking at a huge budget, but does it sound like something up your alley?

I'm not a fan of handouts...or even unemployment right now for that matter...

people think that things are alright because people are spending...

but I personally see a problem with people between their late 20's-late 30's going out shopping 1pm in the afternoon at Target while I decide to go on lunch...

these people are men that are shopping with the girlfriend/wife and sometimes kids and I see them in droves every day...

I'm witnessing something very sad right now and people don't seem to give 2 chits because they just assume that we'll just print more money and ..."find a way to bounce back"....

but I personally see a problem with people between their late 20's-late 30's going out shopping 1pm in the afternoon at Target while I decide to go on lunch...

these people are men that are shopping with the girlfriend/wife and sometimes kids and I see them in droves every day...

I'm witnessing something very sad right now and people don't seem to give 2 chits because they just assume that we'll just print more money and ..."find a way to bounce back"....

You know...there are MILLIONS of people out there that work these things called 2nd and 3rd shifts.

It's certainly not because of any "stimulus" but my local property tax assessor reduced the tax-assessed value of my home recently. They never do that.

I'll be paying $816 more this year than last year. Property is valued the same as it was last year. I know it has gone down a little, but the assessor still has it valued a little less than it is really worth.

You know...there are MILLIONS of people out there that work these things called 2nd and 3rd shifts.

yeah...and I recall a lot less people shopping at noon...

there are a LOT more people shopping at that time compared to say...3 years ago...

your answer was a joke.....are you serious?...

Edited by Avernus

I'll be paying $816 more this year than last year. Property is valued the same as it was last year. I know it has gone down a little, but the assessor still has it valued a little less than it is really worth.

They always monkey with the rate, but rarely does the Assessor voluntarily reduced the assessed value. And they dropped mine by a staggering amount. Which is weird because home prices in my 'hood are stable.

yeah...and I recall a lot less people shopping at noon...

there are a LOT more people shopping at that time compared to say...3 years ago...

your answer was a joke.....are you serious?...

your answer seemed to imply you have a problem with people shopping at noon hour, especially if they are men. As if you think these men should be working some job that time instead of out and about with their families. My response was that maybe they work different hours then you, and since it's summer time, maybe they choose to spend it out with the family.

So...are you serious? Please clarify for me what problem you have with the time of day these men are out shopping.

and weekends and non 8-5 jobs(outside of shift work)

Or people that are self employed. My favorite time to go shopping is 2:00 PM. It is before school lets out, before most people are off of work, and after the lunch traffic. I don't shop all that often, but 90% of the time that I do it is in the middle of the work day, just to avoid crowds.

Or people that are self employed. My favorite time to go shopping is 2:00 PM. It is before school lets out, before most people are off of work, and after the lunch traffic. I don't shop all that often, but 90% of the time that I do it is in the middle of the work day, just to avoid crowds.

I hear ya, but I wish the people at Costco today would have learned the proper schedule.