[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama address to Congress

I Like Soup

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jindal's 2012 campaign ended last night. Whether you liked what he had to say or not, Obama's speech was a home run in terms of tone and tenor, and following it up with nonsense and nonspecifics delivered with more mixed messages than even the Messiah threw out in the previous 70 minutes was nearly the definition of ridiculous.

That was the first time I have ever watched Jindal give a speech. If I am lucky, it will be my last time too. He was f'ing horrible and his speech seemed as though it was intended for 6 year-olds. (On the other hand, he might have a future as Mr. Rogers Version 2.0)

Any such calculations are intellectually dishonest. You have to take into consideration the full effects of the difference to the economy in extending such stimulus or doing nothing.

Bingo. Isn't this Republican "10 year costs" bleating exactly the same complaint they leveled at Democrats who pointed out the 10 year costs of tax cuts back in 2001?

Bingo. Isn't this Republican "10 year costs" bleating exactly the same complaint they leveled at Democrats who pointed out the 10 year costs of tax cuts back in 2001?

I don't know, I'm not a republican. But as Az has already pointed out for me, the CBO says the bill will probably be a net negative on GDP.

Oh, snap!

Jindal's 2012 campaign ended last night. Whether you liked what he had to say or not, Obama's speech was a home run in terms of tone and tenor, and following it up with nonsense and nonspecifics delivered with more mixed messages than even the Messiah threw out in the previous 70 minutes was nearly the definition of ridiculous.

I didn't understand his rambling about Katrina. So he didn't like the way Bush was handling things has nothing to do with Obama.

$200 million to WWII Filipino vets???

This $$$ goes to 18,000 living soldiers who fought under MacArthur while the Philippines was still a US territory. The War Dept. gave them regular army benefits from 1942 to 1946. I would concur that this should have been part of a different spending package, but I'm not sure I object to the idea behind it.

This $$$ goes to 18,000 living soldiers who fought under MacArthur while the Philippines was still a US territory. The War Dept. gave them regular army benefits from 1942 to 1946. I would concur that this should have been part of a different spending package, but I'm not sure I object to the idea behind it.

I'm familiar with the background - just pointing out it's not stimulative. It's a pet project (possibly a worthy, honorable one) that some prick stuck in there because he/she know it would pass.

Much of this bill is not stimulative, or too temporarily stimulative to justify the expense. It creates far more burden down the road than just the $1.2 trillion loan we've taken out.

I'm familiar with the background - just pointing out it's not stimulative. It's a pet project (possibly a worthy, honorable one) that some prick stuck in there because he/she know it would pass.

Much of this bill is not stimulative, or too temporarily stimulative to justify the expense. It creates far more burden down the road than just the $1.2 trillion loan we've taken out.

+1

+1

I'd be interested to know when it would be appropriate to fund this bill. Maybe not now, though you could argue that it is stimulative, as is almost any spending aimed at the poor. So when?

I'd be interested to know when it would be appropriate to fund this bill. Maybe not now, though you could argue that it is stimulative, as is almost any spending aimed at the poor. So when?

Again, a large part of this bill will pay people who've never set foot on this continent. How does that stimulate our economy? Just like the dang butterfly habitat and water park, these are a bunch of dem congresspeople's pet spending projects.

Again, a large part of this bill will pay people who've never set foot on this continent. How does that stimulate our economy? Just like the dang butterfly habitat and water park, these are a bunch of dem congresspeople's pet spending projects.

I don't know, but seeing as the vast majority of these soldiers who helped us win WW 2 only to be left with nothing but broken promises of payment never lived to see it. Turns out the only way for America to keep that promise was to put it in an "unstoppable" bill.

I'm OK with it after reading THiS

It's a great read, but you may want to skip to this part:

In the House, Rep. Steve Buyer (R-Indiana), the ranking Republican in Filner’s committee, was quoted by the International Herald Tribune, saying, “I hope Americans will stop to ponder the distorted values of those who crafted this bill.”

The Philippine News report pointedly included a Politifact.com “Truth-O-Meter” rebuttal of the Republican criticism. Money for the veterans’ benefits will not come from the stimulus package, the website says. The provision only authorizes the release of funds appropriated last year but blocked in the Senate.

“The amount of money coming from the stimulus bill is zero. The money was appropriated last year,” Rob Blumenthal, Democratic communications director for the Senate Appropriations Committee, told Politifact.

:wacko: Edited by cre8tiff

You don't know history very well at all, do you?

I see this argument posted in a lot of threads these days. It's really a matter of which version of history you choose to read, listen to or view. They are all jaded and larely "written by the victor." Perhaps that's why we can't agree on where we should go into the future - we can't even agree on where we've been. :wacko:

I see this argument posted in a lot of threads these days. It's really a matter of which version of history you choose to read, listen to or view. They are all jaded and larely "written by the victor." Perhaps that's why we can't agree on where we should go into the future - we can't even agree on where we've been. :wacko:

Well, now that this apparently is NOT a .025% slice of the stimulus bill that we're concerned about, seeing as how the link above releases funds set aside LAST year can we move on now?

Not to mention the guy looked plain scary coming around that corner. And did he have a voice transplant? :wacko:

I don't know, but seeing as the vast majority of these soldiers who helped us win WW 2 only to be left with nothing but broken promises of payment never lived to see it. Turns out the only way for America to keep that promise was to put it in an "unstoppable" bill.

Them and the Hmong who fought against the Communists should be able to swap a tale or two.

I don't know but that doesn't change the fact that I bet the unemployed don't agree with what you said...

I am not unemployed and don't know anyone close to me that is, thankfully....however, I have no problem saying

that I am underemployed right now but I am not getting any help and don't expect any and I know there is a large number of underemployed on top of the unemployment numbers we are seeing...I had to close my business just over a year ago and couldnt even imagine having to find a job today versus last year....on another note the town right across the river from me (Smithfield VA) is closing one of the Smithfield Ham factories and close to 2000 people are going to be out of work by the end of the year...thats just under one third of their population(6300)...I can't even fathom how bad it is going to be in Smithfield when that happens...

Again, a large part of this bill will pay people who've never set foot on this continent.

For instance?

Just like the dang butterfly habitat and water park, these are a bunch of dem congresspeople's pet spending projects.

Do you have any other examples except for those made up by your GOP congressman to back this sort of thing up?