[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My daughter...

rocknrobn26

As many of you know, she likes the "different" vacation. Not cruises, not organized group travel. She likes booking a flight and then her and her friend(s) backpack around the country/countries of choice for a month. Last year it was Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam). Yes they survived it but Mrs. rr and myself were on pins and needles the whole time. She went for a grant for China this year but didn't get it. :D I thought China would have been great for her. So after losing the grant, her and her friend decided on Panama & Costa Rica! :D I have heard that Costa Rica is pretty safe, but PANAMA!!!??? That one scares me! :wacko: We will be on "pins and needles" again. :D

I'd appreciate any and all info on both. Good/Bad, precautions to take, et. al.

Hep me if you can. I'll relay the info to her.

TIA

rr26 (a very nervous parent of a 30+ yo) :D

PS:

YES I know that it could be worse. Not bragging, but she has excelled in every endeavor she has tried. She's a great free spirited kid, a mind of her own, if you will. I just worry about her.

If I'm over reacting, let me know, but she is my one and only! :2cents:

Thanks for the vent!

Edited by rocknrobn26

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in here, RR. My oldest daugher is only 13, but I know I'll always worry about her.

I have many friends that love Costa Rica, go often and have had no problems.

Maybe you can tell her Panama moved?

I wish! :wacko:

Everybody I know that's gone to Costa Rica has absolutely LOVED the place. Beautiful beaches, great surfing, wonderful backpacking and VERY peaceful.

Oh, and Coata Rica is pretty safe: the Mrs. has been twice by herself as part of a volunteer effort. The capital (San Jose) is like any low-rent urban center, so you're always susceptible to pick pockets or muggings. But no more so that any major American city. Frankly, once you get out into the coast your daughter is more likely to run into surfers than anything else.

Edited by yo mama

My sister has backpacked EVERYWHERE. Africa, Europe, Laos-Cambodia-Thailand, Australia-NewZealand, Colombia, Cuba, etc. I'm pretty sure she's done Panama too. Shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with her or ask her some direct questions on your behalf. :wacko:

I've had some male friends back pack in Panama. They had a blast; no problems whatsoever. I also know a male/female couple who backpacked in rural Panama and they had no problems, outside intestinal unrest.

You're the first person I know that has any info on Panama. Thanks!

My sister has backpacked EVERYWHERE. Africa, Europe, Laos-Cambodia-Thailand, Australia-NewZealand, Colombia, Cuba, etc. I'm pretty sure she's done Panama too. Shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with her or ask her some direct questions on your behalf. :D

Thanks and will do when it gets closer and we find out more about her itinerary.

Hang in there RR. I will be worrying with you this summer. My oldest will be going to an island off France to perform this summer. I know, its France but still. parents worry, thats what we do.

True and it will never end. I guess that's a good thing. :wacko::D

To the rest of you, thanks! Last year your hints, comments, etc. were very helpful.

Thanks again. Anymore?

rr26

Everybody I know that's gone to Costa Rica has absolutely LOVED the place. Beautiful beaches, great surfing, wonderful backpacking and VERY peaceful.

My Mom nearly moved there permanently years ago after living there for a couple of months, but then we invaded Panama & things got a little too uncomfortable. Her & my step dad absolutely loved the place then and have gushed over it ever since. Unfortunately they moved before I got to make a trip there :wacko: but then they "settled" for Hawaii instead.

This thread is useless without pics.

If you're talking about pics from her Asia trip, they will be forthcoming in the Photography forum.

If you are talking about other types.... :wacko::D

:wacko:

it's terrible, but not fatal--have you ever seen "I Was Bitten" on the Discovery Channel? a guy was bitten in both legs, by a mosquito that was infected by the bot fly---it grows maggots in you, but luckily you can suffocate them and pull them out, with their backward-facing hooks in thier body and all--very painful, but not fatal

Costa Rica doesn't worry me. Panama is another story.

Why am I thinking mosquitoes, Malaria?

My daughter refuses to take the shots that are recc'd! :wacko:

it's terrible, but not fatal--have you ever seen "I Was Bitten" on the Discovery Channel? a guy was bitten in both legs, by a mosquito that was infected by the bot fly---it grows maggots in you, but luckily you can suffocate them and pull them out, with their backward-facing hooks in thier body and all--very painful, but not fatal

Sorry Scoob, that does not make me feel better. But appreciate the thought. :D

Needless to say, rr juniorette an I will have some discussions in the coming months. :wacko:

Your daughter is a dumbass if she doesn't take the shots.

Thank you for your passive comment. Dumbass??? No comment.

Fact is many of the preventatives have worse symptoms than the assumed disease.

I expected more from you. I am disappointed.