[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Skin cancer and biopsies...

Rovers

Just got back from the dermatolist. I knew this new rapidly growing bump on my nose wasn't normal. I have several, actually many spots of sun damaged skin, but this thing worried me.

The doc said it looked like it could be... well, something that has to be removed surgically. He took a biopsy sample. He assured me, while hedging a bit, that if the biopsy is positive, I won't lose half of my nose. I can live with a divot, but geeze, I've seen people with a half a nose from things like this. Anyone go through this before?

Luckilly, I have a large nose, so I could spare some tissue....

Just got back from the dermatolist. I knew this new rapidly growing bump on my nose wasn't normal. I have several, actually many spots of sun damaged skin, but this thing worried me.

The doc said it looked like it could be... well, something that has to be removed surgically. He took a biopsy sample. He assured me, while hedging a bit, that if the biopsy is positive, I won't lose half of my nose. I can live with a divot, but geeze, I've seen people with a half a nose from things like this. Anyone go through this before?

Luckilly, I have a large nose, so I could spare some tissue....

Ack...good luck Rovers.

My father has had more crap burned off of him than I can count. The last time through his face looked like it had road rash, and hurt like hell. Probably not what you want to hear. Anyway, as long as you catch it early enough no worries. Just be thankful yo don't have to wait for months to get in to see a doctor about the bump on your nose.

Ms Cid has had several removed, all benign. As perch said, not a big thing is you catch it early. Good luck.

I've had to have two of those surgeries. If it's on your nose then you're most likely going to have Mohs surgery .

Had mine a couple years apart. Both have left kind of a divot, but pretty much the size of the original spot is all. Depends how deep they have to go. If you caught it early on after you noticed it, they probably won't go very deep. They basically just slice layers off, take them back in another room, look at them under microscope to see if they got all the bad stuff, repeat until they do.

Might depend on location, or how much they remove, I'm not sure. In my case it was lower side of the nose, they did a little skin graft from my ear for that. 2nd time was more on the bridge of the nose, they just stretched the skin over and stitched it up. First one I'd let go for a while, 2nd one got taken care of as soon as it was noticed.

Couple hours on the table at most probably. They don't even knock you out. Although they did offer a sedative. Good stuff. :D I was awake the whole time, but it seemed like it took only two minutes. :wacko:

My wife has had skin cancer. Has had some spots surgically removed from her back. Very minor scars there now, but hardly even a divot. She is cautious now in the sun but it hasn't changed her life very much at all.

I've had to have two of those surgeries. If it's on your nose then you're most likely going to have Mohs surgery .

Had mine a couple years apart. Both have left kind of a divot, but pretty much the size of the original spot is all. Depends how deep they have to go. If you caught it early on after you noticed it, they probably won't go very deep. They basically just slice layers off, take them back in another room, look at them under microscope to see if they got all the bad stuff, repeat until they do.

Might depend on location, or how much they remove, I'm not sure. In my case it was lower side of the nose, they did a little skin graft from my ear for that. 2nd time was more on the bridge of the nose, they just stretched the skin over and stitched it up. First one I'd let go for a while, 2nd one got taken care of as soon as it was noticed.

Couple hours on the table at most probably. They don't even knock you out. Although they did offer a sedative. Good stuff. :D I was awake the whole time, but it seemed like it took only two minutes. :wacko:

First, thanks everyone. I'm not freakin out here, just a little concerned.

Billy B, this sounds like what my doc told me. It's near the end of the nose, about a half inch from the end and sort of off to the side. I'm figuring a divot. My doc told me the guy would examine tissue as he removed it under a mocroscope too. I knew this thing was not normal, and my Irish family has fair skin and some skin cancer issues, so I got to the doc right away.

My sister's father in law let his go too long, and lost half of his nose. I divot... meh, what's one more scar. If I lost half my nose (which I won't) it would then be a nose at about 90% proportional to my face. I aint Jimmy Durante, but I got nose to spare.

I'm all in for the sedative. :D:D

praying for you, I'm sure all will be fine

A Mohs procedure is probably the most surgery you'll have to undergo.

My wife had this done on her nose, and the scarring was minimal.

I'm wishing you the best with all this!! :wacko:

2 good'ns!

You know I am there w/ you bro!

God bless and hope all turns out well!

You know where I'm at. Call anytime!

rr26

I get something frozen off my head about once a year and had a rather big chunk cut out of my back about 5 years ago. There's a reasonably big scar on my back, but then again, they dug pretty deep and are likely less concerned about leaving a mark on your back then they are on your nose.

Either way, you've got to do what you've got to do and more than anything, I hope they get it all. That's what really matters. Good luck to you and best of health.

Thanks RR, Scoob and the rest!

Apparently this is what I have:

What is it? Basal cell cancer is a skin cancer. This is the most common cancer diagnosed in the United States. It accounts for about 80% of skin cancers treated in the U.S. Over 500,000 new basal cell cancers are diagnosed each year. This kind of skin cancer is most commonly seen on the face and other sun exposed areas of the body. It can not transform into other types of skin cancers such as squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma.

What causes it? The exact cause of skin cancer is unknown. I would like to emphasize that ultraviolet radiation from sun exposure is the biggest risk factor. Since sun damage to the skin cells is cumulative over a lifetime, even people who don't get out in the sun much now can be at risk for basal cell cancer. The people at highest risk are those who have fair skin and light colored eyes, and those that have a family history of skin cancers.

Most dermatologists believe that regular use of sunscreen decreases risk for the development of basal cell skin cancer. My personal recommendation is a waterproof sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher Sunscreen Info./Ordering. For more skin care in the sun recommendations click here sun skin care.

Is it dangerous? Basal cell cancers can be very dangerous if not treated. This cancer usually does not spread to other organs, but if neglected will continue to eat away and grow beneath the skin. Like the tip of an iceberg, a small cancer may have a lot more beneath the surface. Neglected cases can result in severe disfigurement, and in very rare cases if the cancer has grown large enough can cause death. Click here for what can happen if a Basal Cell cancer is left untreated. This does not happen with early treatment and cure.

Can it be cured? The cure rate is very good, better than 90% with the first treatment. There are several ways to treat Basal cell carcinoma and I will discuss with you which way I feel is the best way to proceed (see also skin cancer treatments and Mohs Surgery).

Will it spread? Without treatment the cancer will continue to grow and spread locally.

Will it grow back? A small number may reoccur and will need further treatment. Periodic follow up is needed in order to check for any sign of reoccurrence or development of new cancer.

Will I get more? People that have had one skin cancer are at risk to get more. You should become aware of the signs and symptoms of skin cancer and point out to me any suspicious new growths that may occur.

Is it contagious? It is not contagious and you cannot "catch it" from anyone.

© John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. 2004 WWW.OrlandoSkinDoc.com

But it's early, and you bassads were supposed to LOL at this... I got nose to spare! Good ear lobes too, I figure they are very harvestable! Heck, I am statrting to get old man skin drop around my triceps too. Plenty of stuff to move around!

God has always seen me through the worst of times... and I'm not all that worried. Seriously, I'm not. Thanks for the good wishes and the informative posts!

Good ear lobes too, I

I should clarify...they took the graft from inside the ear flap. They said that skin is most like the skin on your nose so it matches up better. :wacko: So now you got a wound on your nose, and a wound in your ear the same size. The freakin' ear hurt way more then the nose and twice as long. 2nd time around I told them if we could avoid that, i would prefer a dip in my nose over cutting a piece out of my ear again. :D She laughed, said with it more on the bridge of the nose, shouldnt be a problem to close it up with a few stitches.

Other then that, pretty simple procedure really. At first you'll have a hugh bandage on your nose. Don't let that freak you out. Only need to put up with that a day or two. After that, a bandaid for a week or so. Go back and get the stitches out and you're done.

Both on my nose were basal. Both times though they also took some squamous from my arm and then my back. Like detlef mentioned, they don't mess around when in those parts of the body. They go in and take a good chunk out of you then, making extra sure they get it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now it gets interesting. It is basal cell carcinoma, but with sclerorsis and mela... something... an gresseive form of this stuff. And now just for fun, the doc took two more biopsies today. He seems to think this first basal cell is pretty deep, and plastic surgery will be needed.

I'm still not real concerned, but with no health insurance.... it's scary. Is the cost of Ambesol, alchohol and an exacto knife about $2000 cheaper than this is gonna cost me? LOL, but I'm actually thinking about it. Too bad I wasn't an illegal immigrant with no pot to pee in.... then I'd get this surgery for free. What a country!

Well, now it gets interesting. It is basal cell carcinoma, but with sclerorsis and mela... something... an gresseive form of this stuff. And now just for fun, the doc took two more biopsies today. He seems to think this first basal cell is pretty deep, and plastic surgery will be needed.

I'm still not real concerned, but with no health insurance.... it's scary. Is the cost of Ambesol, alchohol and an exacto knife about $2000 cheaper than this is gonna cost me? LOL, but I'm actually thinking about it. Too bad I wasn't an illegal immigrant with no pot to pee in.... then I'd get this surgery for free. What a country!

You are in a tight spot...understated. God Bless you my friend. If I can help in anyway, PLEASE let me know.

Prayers and best wishes coming.

You are in a tight spot...understated. God Bless you my friend. If I can help in anyway, PLEASE let me know.

Prayers and best wishes coming.

Heck, I'll probably go the exacto knife route. I'm of Celtic origin. Celts went into battles and sword fights naked. I mean painted, but naked. If my ancestors could go into battle with their man jewels swingin in the breeze, I can certainly lop off some nose by myself! :D:wacko:

I think your's is the most common and treatable kind, you should be good to go..my mom had it on her nose, some extraction, but all is well, looks normal, can't even tell, my mother in law had it on her back, got it taken care of as well, no probs for both...I'll pray for you, I know you'll be fine! Don't worry

I think your's is the most common and treatable kind, you should be good to go..my mom had it on her nose, some extraction, but all is well, looks normal, can't even tell, my mother in law had it on her back, got it taken care of as well, no probs for both...I'll pray for you, I know you'll be fine! Don't worry

The doctor told me that this was the most aggresive form of basal cell, the biopsy said some additional stuff abou it, which is why he thinks the roots might be pretty deep. He said that they would work with me, keep the charges down and let me pay it off over time. I should have gotten it looked at a few years ago. At that time I really did not have the $ for any doctors... things are much better now, and I hope to be able to get insurance next year, the third year of my new business. Gotta roll with the punches!

Thanks MT, RR and everyone else. It hepls to get it off my chest before I get it off my nose!

The doctor told me that this was the most aggresive form of basal cell, the biopsy said some additional stuff abou it, which is why he thinks the roots might be pretty deep. He said that they would work with me, keep the charges down and let me pay it off over time. I should have gotten it looked at a few years ago. At that time I really did not have the $ for any doctors... things are much better now, and I hope to be able to get insurance next year, the third year of my new business. Gotta roll with the punches!

Thanks MT, RR and everyone else. It hepls to get it off my chest before I get it off my nose!

Keep the news coming my friend. But I hope it will get better.