[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grammar question

alexgaddis

his response...

I want to prove him wrong because he likes to pretend he is smarter than everyone...

Grammar Rules for Affect and Effect

Now that we have the two definitions, how do we know which word to use? Here are a few suggestions to keep in mind:

1. If you are talking about a result, then use the word "effect."

* Example: What effect did the loss have on the team?

2. It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, no, take, the, any, an, or and.

* Example: The prescribed medication had no effect on the patient's symptoms.

* Example: In analyzing a situation, it is important to take the concepts of cause and effect into consideration.

3. If you want to describe something that was caused or brought about, the right word to use is effect.

* Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)

4. Affect can be used as a noun to describe facial expression.

* Example: The young man with schizophrenia had a flat affect.

* Example: The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.

5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.

* Example: How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?

* Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year.

I was on the affect bandwagon reading through this...but...isn't your colleague talking about a result?...hence the use of effect? :wacko:

The object is "deals", the things that are being affected. The deals did not "feel the effects of the merger" or something of the like.

The object is "deals", the things that are being affected. The deals did not "feel the effects of the merger" or something of the like.

Ah, got it. I've always hated affect and effect. Almost as much as who and whom.

I hate when people use further instead of farther. It is widespread and growing fast.

Ah, got it. I've always hated affect and effect. Almost as much as who and whom.

I hate when people use further instead of farther. It is widespread and growing fast.

Then and Than is my cross to bear