[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

giant frickin laser

Azazello1313

If it works, it would be cheaper than rebuilding New Orleans every 20-30 years.

That was my thought. Assuming, again, that this thing would work. It would have to be something the government funded, if for no other reason than to avoid a situation where some dude owns the thing and gets in a price haggle with the gov't over using it in the event it's needed.

That was my thought. Assuming, again, that this thing would work. It would have to be something the government funded, if for no other reason than to avoid a situation where some dude owns the thing and gets in a price haggle with the gov't over using it in the event it's needed.

I was being a smart ass. Now if it could be weaponized I might could get behind our government funding it. Could you imagine wiping out Iran or North Korea with no fallout.

I was being a smart ass. Now if it could be weaponized I might could get behind our government funding it. Could you imagine wiping out Iran or North Korea with no fallout.

that would be so sweet. fry that little worm in N Korea with a giant magnifying glass in space.

None the less, if there was anything that should absolutely fall under the control of Government it's some massive freakin laser that can destroy hurricanes and god knows what else. And that being said, I'd hardly expect someone to build it on their own dime and then just hand it over.

Also, smart ass or not, hurricanes ain't cheap, so you inadvertently made a good point.

None the less, if there was anything that should absolutely fall under the control of Government it's some massive freakin laser that can destroy hurricanes and god knows what else. And that being said, I'd hardly expect someone to build it on their own dime and then just hand it over.

Also, smart ass or not, hurricanes ain't cheap, so you inadvertently made a good point.

If I thought it was the governments place to pay for people poor choices in building sites I might agree with you. Unless of course that thing could be fine tuned to zap illegals as they are crossing the border.

If I thought it was the governments place to pay for people poor choices in building sites I might agree with you. Unless of course that thing could be fine tuned to zap illegals as they are crossing the border.

Considering earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods, there's a whole lot of "poor choices" of places to live in this country.

a precision guidance system would direct all that energy onto a patch of the Earth between .6 and 6 miles across

FYI: hurricane-force winds from Katrina extended out 120 miles from Katrina's center. That means that Katrina's size was more than 45,000 square miles (or 7,500 times the size of the area that the laser beam would hit (assuming the maximum six-mile wide laser beam)).

"You're gonna need a bigger boat laser."

But don't lose all hope for hurricane-scale weather modding. NOAA hasn't.

"Perhaps if the time comes when men and women can travel at nearly the speed of light to the stars, we will then have enough energy for brute-force intervention in hurricane dynamics," the agency's response concluded.

:wacko:

Lemme guess, they want a Govt grant to pay for it all.
"I don't know if it will ever be built or not," Spirnak said. "The only ones who would really do this is the government. No public company could ever handle the liability, but we'd love to build one for them."

good call

FYI: hurricane-force winds from Katrina extended out 120 miles from Katrina's center. That means that Katrina's size was more than 45,000 square miles (or 7,500 times the size of the area that the laser beam would hit (assuming the maximum six-mile wide laser beam)).

"You're gonna need a bigger boat laser."

theoretically....if you can disrupt the eye, the force of the whole storm falls apart.