[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lets really beat the dead horse. More tipping questions.

Skippy

I went into a little dinner style joint yesterday to pick up some breakfast to go. The waitress took my order and turned to tell the cook what the order was. He cooked the food right in front of me. He turned to ask me how I wanted my eggs. Wheat or white toast. At the end he packed everything up and set it on the edge of the counter for the waitress to come ring me out.

That was the waitress that worked the counter taking an order and ringing me out. No drinks, no service at all other than the order and ringing me out.

What is the tip situation on my 5.32 bill?

___

I only asked this as we have worked this horse over seval times and I know that many of us treat this different than others. I paid the bill with 7 dollars and I dug .32 out of my pocket to make the tip $2.00 for her doing pretty much nothing. My hope would be that the cook gets at least a percentage of those walk in and out tips like mine but the more I thought about things the more I thought that $2.00 dollars was to much.

Well.....it's nice that you left a tip on a takeout order, but I don't think the same rules apply for carry out orders. If it's a diner like that, I may throw a buck for packaging everything up. I feel in little places like that...a take out order is not the norm......lol. Obviously.....we don't tip at McD's.....right?

But if we are talking technically and as far as register programs go (since the 20% screw up on tip after tax for muck's meal was an accounting/register error), establishments that do take outs should generally have take outs separated in their totals for the day. It should NOT be credited as sales for any one wait person. Here in Ohio.....we don't tax food (although there is a tax on carbonated soft drinks). So the state will not be expecting tax on To Go orders.

The distinguishing difference is that you will get taxed for sitting down and eating in the restaurant......but should NOT get taxed on a takeout order. By the same token......there should be either a phantom "server number" (or a 'to go' transaction) for the cash register so that the sale does not go on any individual's sales total......just the restaurant's itself. Wait staff should not be responsible for claiming tips on takeout orders.

And bottom line.....if they are not responsible for claiming tips on takeout orders......you are also not really responsible for tipping on takeout orders.

But like I said......I generally throw a buck or two just for taking the server away from her tipping customers......lol.

What is the tip situation on my 5.32 bill?

I likely would have tipped $1.68 to make it easy.....and I have no idea why, as the diner folks did nothing more than a similarly low-paid cashier at the grocery store. I'll tip the bartender a buck for grabbing me a six-pack of take-out beer....very wierd.

I guess, for some reason, we feel compelled to tip for food/beverages (except, as Steel mentioned, at fast food joints).

Lets not

Just trying to keep you going.

I very much get what you are saying, Bunz. I even agree with everything but most of all the bottom line of, "But like I said......I generally throw a buck or two just for taking the server away from her tipping customers......lol."

Swammi - I often do the exact same thing. In fact, had I not had the change in my pocket when I paid this bill I also would have tipped her 1.68 as I would have tossed 7.00 out there.

Edited by Skippy

Swammi - I often do the exact same thing. In fact, had I not had the change in my pocket when I paid this bill I also would have tipped her 1.68 as I would have tossed 7.00 out there.

Had the bill been 5.91, I still would have tossed the same $7.00....I guess its more the token appreciation than making sure I stick to any predetermined percentage.

I delivered pizzas at the shore for a couple summers when I was in college...and the owner purposely priced the pizzas so that, with tax, the total came to just over $8 for small (I think the pizza was $7.59, and with tax it came to $8.09), and just over $11 for a medium (pizza was $10.49, with tax $11.15'ish)...his way of ensuring the drivers would get the benefit of generous tippers, and thus keep his drivers happy and him employing drivers who always wanted to work.

Another similar question. I am seenig more places in a fast-food type establishments putting in tip jars. These are places what you do a quick order, get pre-made food ready to eat (usually not the typical fast-food fare) then leave. What the protocal for this and I see it presumpuous for that type of place putting out a tip jar at all.

Another similar question. I am seenig more places in a fast-food type establishments putting in tip jars. These are places what you do a quick order, get pre-made food ready to eat (usually not the typical fast-food fare) then leave. What the protocal for this and I see it presumpuous for that type of place putting out a tip jar at all.

+1000

Our Starbucks has a drive-thru, and they have a tip jar on the little shelf below the window where you pick-up your coffee...I feel like taking the tip jar with me as ai drive off. I'm gonna tip you on a drive thru cup of coffee??? Get real.

Well, I often don't tip at these places but understand why it's there. There's a small coffee house here that makes amazingly good caps. They have a tip jar and I gladly feed it because I'm rather certain that the barista is getting a cut and they effing deserve it because my drink is immaculate. If anything, dude is like a bartender and cook rolled into one.

However, whenever I end up at most coffee places, I just want a cup of regular joe and am simply handed an empty cup and told to help myself at the airpots. Needless to say, I don't feel duty-bound to tip in a situation where there was no service at all. Not out of protest or anything, just because I think it's a non issue. In fact, it used to irritate me that those jars were there until I put two and two together and realized that not everyone there was just ordering a cup of coffee and some might want to tip the barista who made their specialty drink.

I get tipping a waitperson making $2.15 an hour.

A barista at Starbucks makes about $7.50 an hour. Its her job to make my specialty drink, and she's already being compensated fairly for it...IMO.

Precisely.

I think the biggest disconnect with people here is the inability to recognise that certain employees are compensated differently. Some practically require tips to make up to minimum wage. Like it or not, that is the system.

If you DONT like tipping people that depend on tips to get them up to minimum wage, then only eat at places like Subway or McDonalds where you are not required to tip at all.

Problem solved . . .

I get tipping a waitperson making $2.15 an hour.

A barista at Starbucks makes about $7.50 an hour. Its her job to make my specialty drink, and she's already being compensated fairly for it...IMO.

Which is why this tip is actually a tip, not an expected compensation. For the same reason some people exceed 15% in restaurants, some people like to tip those who don't actually rely on tips for their income. So essentially, there's no difference. I'm not saying that you should be obligated to tip your barista, rather should simply look at the tip jar as something making it easier for those that do when they feel inspired to. Like, for instance, I do when Cafe Driade makes yet another perfect coffee drink for me. I understand it's their job, but I also understand that they do that job better than pretty much anyone else.

In short, if you feel guilt bound to put something in the jar because it's there, get over it because you shouldn't. Of course, if someone at the register gives you even an ounce of attitude for failing to do so, they should be soundly beaten.

Which is why this tip is actually a tip, not an expected compensation. For the same reason some people exceed 15% in restaurants, some people like to tip those who don't actually rely on tips for their income. So essentially, there's no difference. I'm not saying that you should be obligated to tip your barista, rather should simply look at the tip jar as something making it easier for those that do when they feel inspired to. Like, for instance, I do when Cafe Driade makes yet another perfect coffee drink for me. I understand it's their job, but I also understand that they do that job better than pretty much anyone else.

In short, if you feel guilt bound to put something in the jar because it's there, get over it because you shouldn't. Of course, if someone at the register gives you even an ounce of attitude for failing to do so, they should be soundly beaten.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with my issue with these "tip jars". Inevitably, feelings of "should I or shouldn't i" creep into my buying experience, and taint my overall feeling of the establishment. So much so that perhaps it even subconciously affects my decision to return. I know I can go to my local convenience store and get a decent cup of coffee without wondering if the person behind the counter is harboring any ill-will because I dodn't leave two quarters in her tip jar.

Fact is, I shouldn't have to worry. Remove the jar. If I feel i want to tip, I'll say "Keep the change" or "here's something for the effort", and they can tactfully put it behind the counter.

Frankly, I am very surprised franchisors like Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/etc allow or encourage this behavior.

I would have given $10 or maybe even $20

and then waited for my change...it was a take out order for crying out loud...and Tip Jars...I hate them and wont put a dime in them...my wife on the other hand always drops her change in them and sometimes even a bill

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with my issue with these "tip jars". Inevitably, feelings of "should I or shouldn't i" creep into my buying experience, and taint my overall feeling of the establishment. So much so that perhaps it even subconciously affects my decision to return. I know I can go to my local convenience store and get a decent cup of coffee without wondering if the person behind the counter is harboring any ill-will because I dodn't leave two quarters in her tip jar.

Fact is, I shouldn't have to worry. Remove the jar. If I feel i want to tip, I'll say "Keep the change" or "here's something for the effort", and they can tactfully put it behind the counter.

Frankly, I am very surprised franchisors like Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/etc allow or encourage this behavior.

I completely understand your point and can really see where you're coming from in terms of wondering why places allow them. I too have found myself irritated from time to time but, I suppose, have just sort of gotten over it. But I can completely understand your point.

Where I bartend, I'm often working by myself. If you call in an order, I take the order, I prepare the food, I ring you up and I give you your food. I never expect a tip on this but it is nice when I get one as I'm being kept away from my sit down customers the whole time.