[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Predraft Trade Possibilities

muck

Chad Ocho Cinco

* Despite his desire to go elsewhere, CIN has said publicly that he's not going anywhere.

Braylon Edwards

* NYG is rumored to be hot and heavy on him; rumored to be for a 1st and 3rd, or possibly a 2nd and a player

Steve Smith (NYG)

* Rumored to be possibly included in the Braylon Edwards trade

Dominick Hixon (NYG)

* Rumored to be possibly included in the Braylon Edwards trade; said on Sirius that he spoke w/ the NYG GM who reassured him that he is not on the block

Brady Quinn

* Rumored standing offer of a 1st round pick for Quinn; not sure from who ... possibilities include MIN, CAR, SF, NYJ, DET, DEN, and TB

Ronnie Brown

* MIA has verified that he's on the block

* Some have speculated that a possible trade sends Brown and a pick to ARI for Anquan Boldin

Anquan Boldin

* ARI has verified that he's on the block; Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner have both publicly said that they'd restructure their deal to keep Boldin on the team

* Some have specualted that a possible trade sends Boldin to MIA for Ronnie Brown and a pick ... or ... PHI ... or ... KC

Glenn Dorsey

* Rumor from Sirius of a trade sending him to ATL for a pick and Jamaal Anderson (the DT that ATL drafted a couple of years ago) ... or ... for ATLs 1st and 2nd round picks in this years' draft .... because Dorsey isn't expected to be a great fit for the 3-4 that Pioli would like to run

Jamaal Anderson

* Rumored by Sirius to be possibly traded to KC (along with a pick) in a deal involving Glenn Dorsey

Julius Peppers

* Rumors of a trade to NE have been long-swirling, but seem to have quited down recently

Tony Gonzalez

* Rumors of a trade to ATL or PHI for a 2nd round pick have been long-swirling, but seem to have quited down recently

-- DONE DEAL -- Gonzo to ATL for 2nd round pick in 2010 draft

Brian Waters

* Rumors have him being disgruntled and being shopped; no official word one way or the other out of Arrowhead (personally, I would be floored if he were traded)

Larry Johnson

* Rumored to be 'disgruntled'; if KC is willing to ship Gonzo, they're willing to ship anyone (personally, while I think KC would trade him if they got a 2nd or 3rd, I just don't see an offer higher than a 4th being offered by anyone (unless as a part of some sort of package deal), and as a result, I don't see him getting moved).

What other 'real' or 'real sounding' rumors are out there?

Edited by muck

If there's any truth to that, DEN needs to get involved with Tony Scheffler.

Rumor surfaced again today:

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Eagles interested in Gonzalez?

I was poking around various sites this afternoon doing some draft research, and stumbled upon an interesting nugget from Don Banks of SI.com.

The item concerns Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, a guy we've written about several times here at MTC.

Banks says he's hearing "buzz" that the Eagles might have moved past the Falcons as a potential suitor for Gonzalez. Per Banks, the Birds are thought to be willing to offer up a third-round pick.

But according to the article, the Chiefs are looking for a second-rounder.

Gonzalez skipped the Chiefs' voluntary minicamp last week, although, according to The Kansas City Star, he has skipped the workouts before.

Link

From Profootballweekly.com

Draft Day trades could result in new homes for these 10 marquee names

By Michael Blunda (mblunda@pfwmedia.com)

April 22, 2009

As a fan of NFL football, there is no greater time during the long months between the Super Bowl and Week One than draft weekend. For two full April days, every club is given the opportunity to give its roster a shot in the arm, injecting it with a dose of the top young talent in America. For one spring weekend, even the weakest franchises have a chance to be optimistic about the upcoming campaign.

But besides the selection of college players, one of the reasons people get so excited about this weekend is the flurry of trades that seem to go down every year. After all, a blockbuster deal can impact your favorite team just as much as an early draft choice. This year, more than ever, it appears that a slew of marquee names could get traded on Draft Day, making things even crazier than usual. Here are 10 stars who could find themselves in a new city come next week, from the least likely to get dealt to the most likely:

10. RB Ronnie Brown / Dolphins — Brown is probably a long shot to be traded, but reports suggest that Miami is at least willing to listen to offers for the 27-year-old back. Despite a solid 2008 season in which he ran for 916 yards and 10 TDs, Brown is supposedly not a good fit for the Dolphins’ offensive system. The Pro Bowler would figure to draw plenty of interest if available, but Miami likely would need to be floored by an offer to actually pull the trigger.

9. DE Julius Peppers / Panthers — Ever since the ’08 campaign ended, Peppers has been vocal about wanting to leave Carolina for a chance to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Obviously, the Panthers aren’t eager to give up such a defensive force, but unloading Peppers and the $16.7 million he’s owed this year would give the organization enormous cap relief. Teams like the Eagles and Patriots are candidates to snag the top-flight pass rusher if Carolina opts to grant Peppers his wish.

8. WR Chad Ocho Cinco / Bengals — According to former Bengal T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Ocho Cinco is “crying” to get out of Cincinnati, where he’s been unhappy for the past couple of years. The team hasn’t expressed any desire to trade him at this point, but it probably could be persuaded with the right offer. Although his numbers were way down in ’08, clubs looking for a proven veteran wideout —like the Raiders or Bears — might make a play for Ocho Cinco.

7. OG Brian Waters / Chiefs — The new Chiefs regime appeared to rub Waters the wrong way from Day One, causing him to immediately ask out of town. Things haven’t gotten any better as of late, so it wouldn’t be a big surprise if GM Scott Pioli shipped the four-time Pro Bowler out of town. Although he’s still playing good football, Waters, 32, won’t be able to help the Chiefs much down the line, so his value to them isn’t as great as it would be to a title contender.

6. QB Jason Campbell / Redskins — Just about all signs point to the Redskins parting ways with Campbell at some point, and it could be as soon as this weekend. The team made it pretty clear that Campbell, who isn’t an ideal fit for the West Coast offense, wasn’t in its future plans when it recently made a strong bid for Jay Cutler, and Washington brass is said to be enamored with USC’s Mark Sanchez. If the Skins are able to trade up and grab Sanchez on Saturday, Campbell could find himself in a new uniform.

5. TE Tony Gonzalez / Chiefs — Gonzalez has been wishy-washy about his urge to stay in K.C., as he’s looking to play for a contender during his few remaining NFL seasons. Although losing him would significantly hurt the Chiefs’ offense, they would like to recoup the second-round pick they lost in the Matt Cassel/Mike Vrabel trade, and dealing Gonzalez represents their best chance to do that. If a team like Atlanta offers up a second-rounder, the Pro Bowl tight end might be in a Falcons jersey by the end of the weekend.

4. TE Tony Scheffler / Broncos — Scheffler’s name came up in many of the Jay Cutler trade talks, and since the Broncos were willing to part ways with Cutler, they’d surely be willing to do the same with Scheffler. Since new coach Josh McDaniels doesn’t utilize the tight end as a receiver much in his game plan, he doesn’t really have much need for Scheffler. Clubs searching for a young tight end with vertical receiving ability could probably acquire the 26-year-old for a reasonable price.

3. QB Brady Quinn / Browns — The Browns could be among the busiest teams come Draft Day, as they own some valuable pieces that other franchises would love to get their hands on. One of those commodities is Quinn, who failed to impress last season but still might be worth a late first-rounder to some teams. Since the Browns are in rebuilding mode and already have Derek Anderson at QB, it might benefit them to swap Quinn for another early draft choice.

2. WR Braylon Edwards / Browns — Another player who appears to be on his way out of Cleveland is Edwards, who seemed to take a step back last year after his brilliant 2007. The Giants reportedly are the clear favorites to land Edwards, who’d be a perfect replacement for Plaxico Burress. It’d likely cost them at least a first-rounder and another fairly high pick, but it’d probably be worth it for an offense that’s solid at every position but receiver.

1. WR Anquan Boldin / Cardinals — It’s been public knowledge for a while that Boldin wants out of the desert, and there’s a good chance he’ll finally have a new home after this weekend. Even though they already traded one of their first-round picks for OT Jason Peters, the Eagles are very interested and could deal their other first-rounder for the tough wideout. If Boldin doesn’t wind up in Philly, Baltimore looks like another plausible option, as the Ravens want to beef up their receiving corps. And don’t be shocked if a dark-horse team or two gets in on the Boldin sweepstakes before it’s all said and done, further adding to the Draft Day intrigue.

...wondering what a trade would look like that was:

KC sends Tony Gonzalez and Glenn Dorsey to ATL

ATL sends Jamaal Anderson and _________ to KC

...if Dorsey = Anderson + 2nd ... and ... Gonzo = 2nd ... does "Dorsey + Gonzo" = "Anderson + 1st"?

Edited by muck

"...Brown is supposedly not a good fit for the Dolphins’ offensive system."

-- can someone elaborate on that? Why's he not a good fit?

I don't know ... that rumor never really made any sense to me ... unless MIA thought that they could get a replacement player that was more in line with their system in the 1st or 2nd round (DBrown, UConn?) ... and get a player / picks in return (like Boldin) ...

...wondering what a trade would look like that was:

KC sends Tony Gonzalez and Glenn Dorsey to ATL

ATL sends Jamaal Anderson and _________ to KC

...if Dorsey + 2nd = Anderson ... and ... Gonzo = 2nd ... does "Dorsey + Gonzo" = "Anderson + 1st"?

Dorsey + 2nd = Anderson? :wacko: Wasnt Dorsey like the 5th overall last year? Id guess Anderson + something = Dorsey. I know Anderson was a high pick as well, but he hasnt done anything. Dorsey just hasnt played I dont think.

Maybe I am way off on this though...

I don't know ... that rumor never really made any sense to me ... unless MIA thought that they could get a replacement player that was more in line with their system in the 1st or 2nd round (DBrown, UConn?) ... and get a player / picks in return (like Boldin) ...

The only way I can see Brown being traded is in a package for Boldin. It does not make sense otherwise.

As for the system... Ronnie (and Chad) made Miami's offense move last year. I cannot understand that statement either.

Dorsey + 2nd = Anderson? :wacko: Wasnt Dorsey like the 5th overall last year? Id guess Anderson + something = Dorsey. I know Anderson was a high pick as well, but he hasnt done anything. Dorsey just hasnt played I dont think.

Maybe I am way off on this though...

...no, sorry...Anderson + ______ = Dorsey...

...and, yes, Dorsey was #5 overall (but, according to Carl Peterson, he was #1 overall on the Chiefs board last year)...

Edited by muck

9. DE Julius Peppers / Panthers

-- he still hasn't signed the tag offer sheet, correct? Doesn't that mean that the Panthers are not allowed to trade him since they technically don't own his rights?

Tag trades are allowed to be made. Usually he has to agree to terms with the team we would be traded to first. Such as with Corey Williams last year.

IMO, the trades involving players that should happen (imo) are:

CIN

* give up on Chad Ocho Cinco and trade him to OAK for pick 2.40

CLE

* trade Quinn to DET for 1.20 (allowing DET to take Smith or Curry at 1.01)

* trade Edwards to NYG for 1.29 and a player

DET

* trade 1.20 to CLE for Quinn

KC

* trade Dorsey to ATL for Anderson, 2.53 and another late round pick next year

* trade Gonzo to PHI for a 2.55

* do not trade Brian Waters

ATL

* trade Jamaal Anderson, a 2.53 and a late round pick in 2010 for Glenn Dorsey

PHI

* trade 2.55 round pick for Gonzo

NYG

* trade 1.29 and a player to CLE for Braylon Edwards

ARI

* resign Boldin to a new deal; restructure Warner / Fitz as necessary

MIA

* pull Ronnie Brown off the market

...no, sorry...Anderson + ______ = Dorsey...

...and, yes, Dorsey was #5 overall (but, according to Carl Peterson, he was #1 overall on the Chiefs board last year)...

I think that is an accidental rumor. A couple of the hosts on Sirius we discussing how draft day trades work (Kerwin & Tucker I think) and that's one they made up. I don't think it had an actual truth beyond the NFL Radio booth

Tag trades are allowed to be made. Usually he has to agree to terms with the team we would be traded to first. Such as with Corey Williams last year.

It's just a formality, but yes, the player has to sign the tender right before he's traded and then sign the new long-term deal with the new team.

I think that is an accidental rumor. A couple of the hosts on Sirius we discussing how draft day trades work (Kerwin & Tucker I think) and that's one they made up. I don't think it had an actual truth beyond the NFL Radio booth

I came into that conversation about half way into it and figured that something was going on that I hadn't heard about before...

:wacko:

Jamaal Anderson is a defensive end. And Dorsey doesn't make sense for ATL since we already have our three technique tackle in Jonathan Babineaux.

ATL can't afford to trade those picks since we need help at corner, nose tackle and linebacker. Likely why the Gonzo trade involved a 2010 pick instead a 2009 pick.

The Giants are not going to part with Steve Smith, he is one WR they drafted that is developing well and has been clutch when they need 1st downs. He has been a poor man's Wes Welker and will hopefully continue to grow into that kind of receiver. Another name floating around was Kiwaunuka but there is no way they part with him either. Reese knows he needs a WR but he's not one to panic and give away the farm. There are a lot of good receivers in this draft and plenty of teams rumored to want to trade out of the early first round. The Giants have the #29 pick plus 9 later picks to offer in a trade, plus Hixon/Moss/Manningham. They will get something done without giving up a key guy.

Personally I would prefer to see them take Pettigrew at #29, then package a few picks for an early second rounder and take the best available WR, then use whatever is left on LB, secondary and OL prospects, maybe a late round RB. The front seven on defense is STACKED, this team is not going to give up a lot of points. The need for a flashy #1 WR may be a bit overstated in my opinion.

We could use an o-lineman up in Minnesota. Maybe Jared Allen should give Waters a call...

What are you giving up?

For ease of reference, your picks are:

KCs picks are: