[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mixed news from the doc...

rocknrobn26

I went to see my knee doc today, hoping to get 2 cortisone shots to give me some relief. I did this 5 years ago (minus a day as the doc pointed out) but instead he gave me a 3 step (1/ week for 3 weeks) shot (sorts like caulk) in my left (worst) knee and it worked well for 6-8 months. FWIW, these shots are NOT painless. I really hoped today he'd give me the cortisone for a more instant relief, but NO...please read on if interested.

The last month or three have been real bad. So bad there are days that I don't want to walk anywhere and that's tough to do in a house w/ 4 flights (partial) of stairs, not to mention a dog needing walks that the wife, who has bad knees also (possibly worse than mine), has been doing w/o complaint (God I love her). She got cortisone 6 months ago and it helped big time.

So his prognosis/plan is to give me the 3 step shots (caulk, but different meds) again (starting after my Vegas trip :D ), plus a newer pain med called "Arthrotec". And my doc hopes that this will give me 1-2 years before surgery will be required. I could do partials, but I want to wait for totals...long story.

Doc "C" any info on this drug ("Arthrotec") from you will be greatly appreciated.

Dammit...I just would like to walk somewhat normal w/ minimal pain. :D

Yeah, Alchico, I'm not sure how I made it on our "Flam to TI trek/walk in 100+ temps" either. :D

Vent over, and according to title:

Is this good or bad news? :wacko:

If I have been a PITA lately, I'm sorry, but this and my wife's eventual surgery is praying big time on my mind.

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative... I guess. :D

TIA

rr26

Sorry to here about your struggles with the knee, RR. Is there any chance that you just go for the surgery instead of waiting? A good friend of mine, phys. ed teacher, had knee problems and he had the surgery done and has been feeling really well since. Maybe it's time to bump things up a bit?

Edited by irish

Sorry to here about your struggles with the knee, RR. Is there any chance that you just go for the surgery instead of waiting? A good friend of mine, phys. ed teacher, had knee problems and he had the surgery done and has been feeling really well since. Maybe it's time to bump things up a bit?

I wish! I only qualify for 2 partials. At my age, that is NOT an option..total or nothing! :wacko:

Thanks for the thoughts!

I wish! I only qualify for 2 partials. At my age, that is NOT an option..total or nothing! :wacko:

Thanks for the thoughts!

Well that sucks! So it's cortizone shots for now or nothing. Good luck with the shots.

Some info I was reading about the drug Arthrotec:

http://health.yahoo.com/other-other/diclof...--d04271a1.html

Diclofenac and misoprostol[ Pronunciation: dye KLOE fen ak and mye so PROST ole ] Brand Names: Arthrotec

This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use diclofenac. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking diclofenac. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

Do not drink alcohol while taking diclofenac and misoprostol. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by diclofenac.

What is diclofenac and misoprostol?

Diclofenac is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Misoprostol reduces stomach acid and replaces protective substances in the stomach that are reduced by NSAIDs.

The combination of diclofenac and misoprostol is used to treat osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in people at high risk for developing stomach or intestinal ulcers.

Diclofenac and misoprostol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking diclofenac and misoprostol?

Taking an NSAID can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use an NSAID. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

NSAIDs can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking an NSAID. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

Do not use this medication if you are allergic to diclofenac (Cataflam) or misoprostol (Cytotec), or if you have a history of allergic reaction to aspirin or other NSAIDs.

Before taking diclofenac and misoprostol, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

a history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot;

heart disease, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure;

a history of stomach ulcers or bleeding;

liver or kidney disease,

asthma;

polyps in your nose;

porphyria;

a bleeding or blood clotting disorder;

if you smoke; or

drink more than three alcoholic beverages a day.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take diclofenac and misoprostol.

I hear ya RR. Before Wcoff last year i was going thru two sets of 3 of that Syn-Visc. That helped a little for like 6 months. Saw a new surgeon last Nov. He thought by seeing my xrays before he met me, i was a perfect canidate for a partial. But once he took a first hand look at the knee...says its more worn out then it showed, so a partial ruled out. At 50, I'm too young for a total replacement. :wacko: He said he'd do it if i really was insistent, but would be on a 4 month waiting list. Which would put it right in the middle of golf season, had to rule that out for the time being. :D

Anyway, back in November they did the cortosone this time and got me wearing one of those unloader braces. I didn't like that at all for the first week or two. But after getting it adjusted a couple times, it really does a fairly decent job of alleviating some of the pain in my workday. Like you mentioned, it got bad sometimes just getting motivated to get up and do anything knowing it would end up hurting.

Have you given something like that a try? Might be an option to help make it thru another year or so...

Either way, good luck with the next injections. Some of the relief i got last fall is starting to dissipate, I need to get back for another one pretty soon.

hope you get some relief. pain sux

Thanks,Bier. Pain makes one do stupid stuff, that I have demonstrated TOO much the last few months.

Well that sucks! So it's cortizone shots for now or nothing. Good luck with the shots.

Some info I was reading about the drug Arthrotec:

http://health.yahoo.com/other-other/diclof...--d04271a1.html

Diclofenac and misoprostol[ Pronunciation: dye KLOE fen ak and mye so PROST ole ] Brand Names: Arthrotec

This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use diclofenac. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking diclofenac. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.

Do not drink alcohol while taking diclofenac and misoprostol. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by diclofenac.

What is diclofenac and misoprostol?

Diclofenac is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Misoprostol reduces stomach acid and replaces protective substances in the stomach that are reduced by NSAIDs.

The combination of diclofenac and misoprostol is used to treat osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in people at high risk for developing stomach or intestinal ulcers.

Diclofenac and misoprostol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking diclofenac and misoprostol?

Taking an NSAID can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use an NSAID. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

NSAIDs can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking an NSAID. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.

Do not use this medication if you are allergic to diclofenac (Cataflam) or misoprostol (Cytotec), or if you have a history of allergic reaction to aspirin or other NSAIDs.

Before taking diclofenac and misoprostol, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

a history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot;

heart disease, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure;

a history of stomach ulcers or bleeding;

liver or kidney disease,

asthma;

polyps in your nose;

porphyria;

a bleeding or blood clotting disorder;

if you smoke; or

drink more than three alcoholic beverages a day.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take diclofenac and misoprostol.

No, no cortisone for me, but your info on the Arthrotec is spot on! Scary chit, but I am desperate! Hope this works.

Thanks for the info.

No, no cortisone for me, but your info on the Arthrotec is spot on! Scary chit, but I am desperate! Hope this works.

Thanks for the info.

Well good luck with it. However, not that I need to tell you, but keep an eye on stomach or chest issues/pains caused by this medication as you don't want to be helping out one problem but creating a more severe one.

Well good luck with it. However, not that I need to tell you, but keep an eye on stomach or chest issues/pains caused by this medication as you don't want to be helping out one problem but creating a more severe one.

Advice taken. Thanks! But I have to eat something for breakfast, which disgusts me before the pill. Love breakfast foods, but hate breakfast! :D But I'll do it! :wacko:

If you didn't spend so much time down on those knees...

For real RR, I know how the knees can be a problem. I have had five different knee jobs starting when I was just 22 years old. I wish there was something more than just wishing you well that I could offer.

Hang in there brother and take care of you and that wonderful wife of yours!

Yikes!

Hopefully, things will ease up.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Right knee is crud. Lots of bone on bone going on there. Left knee miniscus tear (maybe worse by now). Kind of affraid to go back to the Doc. But I may have no choice.

Good Luck, RR

FWmaker

Seriously bummed to hear this. I wish there was a better way for them to deal with it.

I'm just now starting to feel a little pain in one of my knees when I do stairs. I think when I was a kid I tore something in there and just let it heal on its own. Now it sounds like gravel in there and just a flash of pain every now and then. I'm not looking forward to the end game on this one.

I'm sorry RR.....sounds like a PITA. Hope you and Carol find some relief soon!

PS...I think all this "too young for a full replacement" stuff is BS. I know the docs worry those appliances don't last more than 20 years.....but who's to say what we'll have to replace them with in 20 years? Not to mention how much pain you saved while waiting to become "of age." Seems a bit ridiculous to stress out all your other joints in compensation for a few years while waiting.

My Godmother is a severe arthritic. She was a test case for a lot of these replacements over the last 35 years. She's had every joint done.....and redone......so I don't get the big deal about doing the surgery twice (once at 50 and once at 70).....lol. And I do mean every joint. Elbows, hips, knees and ankles. She must really have some extraordinary muscle tone......she still walks and paints. :wacko:

I'm sorry RR.....sounds like a PITA. Hope you and Carol find some relief soon!

PS...I think all this "too young for a full replacement" stuff is BS. I know the docs worry those appliances don't last more than 20 years.....but who's to say what we'll have to replace them with in 20 years? Not to mention how much pain you saved while waiting to become "of age." Seems a bit ridiculous to stress out all your other joints in compensation for a few years while waiting.

My Godmother is a severe arthritic. She was a test case for a lot of these replacements over the last 35 years. She's had every joint done.....and redone......so I don't get the big deal about doing the surgery twice (once at 50 and once at 70).....lol. And I do mean every joint. Elbows, hips, knees and ankles. She must really have some extraordinary muscle tone......she still walks and paints. :wacko:

WOW...the bionic woman. Bless her heart.

The reason for the potential for not wanting to do a replacement twice, at least for the knee, is the second one needs a larger hole, thus weakening the leg bones. But I agree (quality of life?), and my (our) doc really never mentioned it, as my wife had a partial done at age 51. He pretty much gives you what you need regardless of age, or so it seems. The partial helped her a lot, but not the miracle she had hoped for. She needs the full one on the other leg and hope that works better.

Knees are stupid. Almost as poor a design as the back. Intelligent design my butt.

Good luck, and make sure the medication doesn't react poorly with scotch.

Tryin', but that ain't easy! :D

FWIW..I take previcid also, so that should help. :wacko:

Ouch.... Take care and I hope it gets better...

TY, my friend. Getting old sucks! It's like my body is rejecting my cartilage! :D