[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why I like the Bengals better in 2009.

Bengal Mania

Sure, I'm a moran.

Sure, Mike Brown is still in charge.

Sure, there's still character issues.

Sure, Chad O So Stinko is still on the team.

But that's just looking at the negatives.

(I have a request: If you're gonna reply w/ a dig on the Bengals, at least be original. New Mike Brown slams are much better than old worn out ones)

Here's Why I Like the Defense Better:

1) Mike Zimmer got them to #12 last year per some ranking (up from like 30 the year before). Another year w/ his system is good

2) Rivers, Geathers, Odom are back after missing significant time due to injury

3) Draft pick - Rey Maualuga, ILB

4) Re-signed S Chris Crocker, their best player on DEF last year.

5) Draft pick - Michael Johnson, DE

6) FA pickups Tank Johnson (need more Johnsons) and Roy Williams (today), both with short incentive-laden contracts. So both have opportunity to play for a big contract again. Both have had ProBowl pasts either w/ Def Coord or in similar style DEF.

7) Draft pick - Kevin Huber, P (This could be a stellar DEF pick, IMO. the dude can fling it)

I'm an idiot, I guess, but I really think the mentality of this DEF is on the rise, and they will be a very good DEF.

Here's Why I Like the Offense Better:

1) Carson is healthy (so they say). Can you imagine Palmer on a team without all the dysfunction of the Bengals? He's a ProBowl caliber QB.

2) TJ is gone. He was best talent last year, but he's also part of the cancer problem, don't kid yourself. Him being gone allowed other FA moves

3) Draft pick - Andre Smith, LT. His questionable stuff is childs play compared to others on this team!

4) Re-signing Cedric Benson, RB, to a short contract, which allows him opportunity to get one more big contract in his future if he bears down. I think his best two years in the NFL will be the next two

5) Getting rid of some old baggage. Chris Perry is cut (injuries hurt him, wasted opportunity). Levi Jones cut (today) - he also became an attitude problem recently. If they could lose Chad, then they will have completely turned the page....I'm still hoping.

6) Draft pick - Chase Coffman, TE. Guy makes me think of Dallas Clark. If he even approaches similar production, I"ve got a hunka burnin' man-love brewin'

7) FA pickup Laverneous Coles. Love his attitude. Think he'll be average at best as WR, but I'm hoping he'll bring along the younger receivers.

8) Draft Pick - Johnathon Luigs, C. Not a top C in draft, but has some potential. They had do do something, and he was the consolation prize for getting Maualuga in the 2nd round. I'll take that.

Palmer back makes them somewhat better even if there's no other improvement. But the fact that they have really improved (on paper) their defense and ST's makes me like the direction they're heading (results? who knows). Plus, they did at least address their issues on OFF. And in a better way than just simply franchising a disgruntled TJ.

Is this gonna make them better than the best organization in football, who also happens to be in their division (I freely admit it and admire them)? NO, but I still like the attempt. I give the Bengals an overall A for their total offseason.

well i said KC was gonna make the playoffs this year...BUT that was prior to herm getting fired and the changes that have taken place...so maybe I will make the bengals my crazy as hel1 prediction to make the playoffs...The Bengals did play pretty well on D for a team that couldnt generate any pressure on the QB...I would not be surprised at all to see them make a run at the playoffs.

Edited by keggerz

6 wins tops

Thanks for adding so much to the thread. :wacko:

In response to the thread, I think you have reasons to be optimistic. I think they had a hell of a draft, and they're getting one of the best QB's in the league back... The defense is where it needs to be. If they get Caldwell or Simpson to step up they could surprise some people.

Sure, I'm a moran.

Sure, Mike Brown is still in charge.

Sure, there's still character issues.

Sure, Chad O So Stinko is still on the team.

But that's just looking at the negatives.

(I have a request: If you're gonna reply w/ a dig on the Bengals, at least be original. New Mike Brown slams are much better than old worn out ones)

Here's Why I Like the Defense Better:

1) Mike Zimmer got them to #12 last year per some ranking (up from like 30 the year before). Another year w/ his system is good

2) Rivers, Geathers, Odom are back after missing significant time due to injury

3) Draft pick - Rey Maualuga, ILB

4) Re-signed S Chris Crocker, their best player on DEF last year.

5) Draft pick - Michael Johnson, DE

6) FA pickups Tank Johnson (need more Johnsons) and Roy Williams (today), both with short incentive-laden contracts. So both have opportunity to play for a big contract again. Both have had ProBowl pasts either w/ Def Coord or in similar style DEF.

7) Draft pick - Kevin Huber, P (This could be a stellar DEF pick, IMO. the dude can fling it)

I'm an idiot, I guess, but I really think the mentality of this DEF is on the rise, and they will be a very good DEF.

Here's Why I Like the Offense Better:

1) Carson is healthy (so they say). Can you imagine Palmer on a team without all the dysfunction of the Bengals? He's a ProBowl caliber QB.

2) TJ is gone. He was best talent last year, but he's also part of the cancer problem, don't kid yourself. Him being gone allowed other FA moves

3) Draft pick - Andre Smith, LT. His questionable stuff is childs play compared to others on this team!

4) Re-signing Cedric Benson, RB, to a short contract, which allows him opportunity to get one more big contract in his future if he bears down. I think his best two years in the NFL will be the next two

5) Getting rid of some old baggage. Chris Perry is cut (injuries hurt him, wasted opportunity). Levi Jones cut (today) - he also became an attitude problem recently. If they could lose Chad, then they will have completely turned the page....I'm still hoping.

6) Draft pick - Chase Coffman, TE. Guy makes me think of Dallas Clark. If he even approaches similar production, I"ve got a hunka burnin' man-love brewin'

7) FA pickup Laverneous Coles. Love his attitude. Think he'll be average at best as WR, but I'm hoping he'll bring along the younger receivers.

8) Draft Pick - Johnathon Luigs, C. Not a top C in draft, but has some potential. They had do do something, and he was the consolation prize for getting Maualuga in the 2nd round. I'll take that.

Palmer back makes them somewhat better even if there's no other improvement. But the fact that they have really improved (on paper) their defense and ST's makes me like the direction they're heading (results? who knows). Plus, they did at least address their issues on OFF. And in a better way than just simply franchising a disgruntled TJ.

Is this gonna make them better than the best organization in football, who also happens to be in their division (I freely admit it and admire them)? NO, but I still like the attempt. I give the Bengals an overall A for their total offseason.

This guy knows of what he speaks. :wacko:

I seriously can't believe how the Bengals fell so quickly.....it was only 4 years ago when they won the division. I do agree that they have taken a step in the right direction and they had a very good draft.

I am higher on the Bengals this year than I have been in a while. I have something interesting coming out on them probably in a month or so. They should be better - they've gone through a bad stretch of schedule, distractions, injuries and such. They should be an interesting one to watch this summer and could very well surprise.

When a team that has been saddled with character issues for some time now goes out and grabs Tank Johnson, I have a hard time getting fired up about their chances.

That was a nice list of reasons why they should be good. Problem is, pretty much every team does things to improve themselves in the offseason. What the Bengals need to do is clean house. If there was ever a franchise that had "clean house" written all over it, it's them. I'll agree with Cpt Hook. 6 wins.

Because it is a new season, and a new season always brings a sense of hope to your favorite team!

fixed :wacko:

My money is on L Coles out performing 85 this year.

That would not surprise me really. The one thing good about #85 is that once the season is on, he puts the business side of things on the shelf to play ball - and think up new TD celebrations, which admittedly is old.

There is a lot to like about the Bengals for this year, but its sort of fragile with everyone so quick to jump on them for character issues. I like the way the defense played tough last year. A lot hangs on the O-line and Benson :wacko: IMO.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Bengals trade Harris for Leonard

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive

The Bengals have acquired Rams fullback Brian Leonard for defensive tackle Orien Harris.

Leonard, 25, was a second-round pick of the Rams in 2007. He started seven games as a rookie but only played two games last season and didn't have a start.

Leonard could be a good fit for the Bengals because he can be a pass-catching fullback and a backup running back.

Plus, he is considered a good character player and someone who could work well with quarterback Carson Palmer. Leonard is a 6-foot-1, 229-pounder who played at Rutgers.

The 6-3, 300-pound Harris will be joining his sixth team. He was a fourth-round choice of the Steelers in 2006. He has been with the Browns, Bills, Saints and Bengals. He has started one game in his NFL career.

Interesting. Likely a backup RB IMO. I believe they have 2 FBs on the roster already.

Doesn't seem too long ago that people were talking about him as a handcuff.

Edited by The Irish Doggy