[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Screwed

Scorcher

I started at a hotel 1 year and 3 months ago. I have just been downsized. Instead of just saying you are let go because you make too much money, I was totally destroyed as a department manager. The hardest part about this whole dilemma is that my wife still works for the company in another department but every day when she comes home I have to hear about what is going on and who replaced me. Any advice? I just want to move on: but the economy and my wife won't let me.

Definitely have a talk with your wife about it and let her know that you don't want to hear about the guy that replaced you. I'd also suggest getting a job as a waiter or something while you look for another job, so that you are not just sitting around the house looking at classifieds all day feeling sorry for yourself. I have a friend that did the waiter thing while he was looking for a job, and one of the regular customers got to know him and ended up hiring him for a pretty good position. The point is don't just sit around a mope, get out and do something to earn a little money while you look for something better. The distraction will help as will the money.

Definitely have a talk with your wife about it and let her know that you don't want to hear about the guy that replaced you. I'd also suggest getting a job as a waiter or something while you look for another job, so that you are not just sitting around the house looking at classifieds all day feeling sorry for yourself. I have a friend that did the waiter thing while he was looking for a job, and one of the regular customers got to know him and ended up hiring him for a pretty good position. The point is don't just sit around a mope, get out and do something to earn a little money while you look for something better. The distraction will help as will the money.

Thanks for a sincere reply.

We own/manage 23 hotels....what do you do, and where do you live?

I was an F&B Director and I also served as interim general manager until they could find a replacement : I live in Huntsville Al.

Edited by Scorcher

Since you were in Food and Beverage another stop gap job like Perch alluded to might be bartending. Good pocket money and a good chance to meet a lot of people and network. Good luck bro.

The saddest part and most illuminating for me is that I was always too busy to answer calls from my wife, children , and friends. I went to work at 6a.m. and got home at 11 p.m. Somehow I thought my income and pursuit of it would justify any thing I did. Now my company phone is gone, and my personal phone never rings.

The saddest part and most illuminating for me is that I was always too busy to answer calls from my wife, children , and friends. I went to work at 6a.m. and got home at 11 p.m. Somehow I thought my income and pursuit of it would justify any thing I did. Now my company phone is gone, and my personal phone never rings.

sucks, but youre not gonna gain anything by sulking and feeling sorry for yourself. get out there and get another job! you sound qualified to do alot of different things! good luck!

sucks, but youre not gonna gain anything by sulking and feeling sorry for yourself. get out there and get another job! you sound qualified to do alot of different things! good luck!

thanks , that's good advice. It just takes a little time to get over the shock of being bushwhacked and unemployed.

Scorcher that was the biggest transition for me too. I was the GM of a country club that got SMACKED by the recession and I was one of several top employees that got whacked. They now have a member doing my position for free.

The lack of communication and phoce calls was deafening to me at first. I recommend getting out of the house and utilizing anyone in your professional network to meet to talk about opportunities and to stay focused.

Try hcareers.com that is industry-specific for hospitality, and start looking around country clubs/ private clubs that tradtionally do NOT advertise for openings, but rely on word of mouth and specialized search engines.

Lastly (at least in Chicago) there are open jobs for restaurant managers/GMs and hotel personnel every day on craigslist.

Good luck in the search!

thanks , that's good advice. It just takes a little time to get over the shock of being bushwhacked and unemployed.

i hear ya. was in a similar situation a few years ago. got involved in a ponzi scheme before they got hot. when i found out, wanted to go into the corner and curl up into a fetal position. took a few days, but realized wasnt gaining anything by sulking. you will get back on your feet in no time. actually might be a great opp to do something else. ya never know.

Scorcher, the advice in this thread is sound. Take a day just to sulk, be angry and get it all out of your system. After that, getting your next gig becomes your full-time job. Like folks said, wait tables or bartend in the meanwhile, but be productive. Just as sloth begats more sloth, industry does the same. Go for it!

Go get some sunshine. That Vitamin D does wonders for your mood...

Oh, and definately talk to your wife.

And, use this as an opportunity to reconsider what you feel is your most important role ... is it "businessperson" or "dad/husband" and use that to guide your vocational pursuits.

It's hard to ask your wife not to talk about what she did all day.

You'd be surprised. I prefer to keep most of my work at the office. I'm self-employed so it's impossible to completely get away. But I really don't like talking about work at home.

Take the free time you have now to reconnect with the kids that you did'nt have time for before. They're only young once.

Never saw a gravestone that said " I wish I'd spent more time at work". :wacko:

This may be a big blessing in disguise.

You'd be surprised. I prefer to keep most of my work at the office. I'm self-employed so it's impossible to completely get away. But I really don't like talking about work at home.

+1. I almost never discuss my work at home.

I hope all works out for you, Scorcher.