[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

gun laws work

dmarc117

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From one of the comments:

+1

Awwww, how sweet!

A 9-year-old girl was the victim of a "gang-related" shooting when she was hit by gunfire as she played on a York street and later died Sunday afternoon, according to the district attorney.

Ciara Savage, of Lancaster, was playing with several children in the 500 block of South Duke Street just after 2:30p.m. Sunday when a shooter opened fire from a car, hitting the girl once in the back, police said.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12332552

A 9-year-old girl was the victim of a "gang-related" shooting when she was hit by gunfire as she played on a York street and later died Sunday afternoon, according to the district attorney.

Ciara Savage, of Lancaster, was playing with several children in the 500 block of South Duke Street just after 2:30p.m. Sunday when a shooter opened fire from a car, hitting the girl once in the back, police said.

If only that girl was packing heat, NONE of this would have happened! It is obviously the presence of gun laws that hinder the complete elimination of all gun violence . . ever.

If only that girl was packing heat, NONE of this would have happened! It is obviously the presence of gun laws that hinder the complete elimination of all gun violence . . ever.

Yeah...because that is the point that gun rights advocates try to make on a daily basis. :wacko:

Yeah...because that is the point that gun rights advocates try to make on a daily basis. :wacko:

I have been a hunter for years and a member of the NRA for over a decade.

Taking gun violence and making an asinine connection to gun laws proves . . . nothing.

So what is the point of this entire thread Nick? A shot at gun laws? Laws only affect the law-abiding. It would not have done a thing to prevent these killings, unless dmarc was somehow roaming the streets of Chicago last weekend, but was powerless to stop then due to being hamstrung by an anti-handgun law in an intensely urban area. I doubt that a Cubs fan has that kind of civic pride . . . :D

I have been a hunter for years and a member of the NRA for over a decade.LIAR

Taking gun violence and making an asinine connection to gun laws proves . . . nothing.FAIL! You might want to try a little reading. There's a HUGH connection between gun laws and violent crime rates

So what is the point of this entire thread Nick? A shot at gun laws? Laws only affect the law-abiding. That's right, thus only the law abiding will be walking around Chicago unarmed, there, Che-boy. It would not have done a thing to prevent these killings, unless dmarc was somehow roaming the streets of Chicago last weekend, but was powerless to stop then due to being hamstrung by an anti-handgun law in an intensely urban area. I doubt that a Cubs fan has that kind of civic pride . . . :wacko:

I have been a hunter for years and a member of the NRA for over a decade.

Taking gun violence and making an asinine connection to gun laws proves . . . nothing.

So what is the point of this entire thread Nick? A shot at gun laws? Laws only affect the law-abiding. It would not have done a thing to prevent these killings, unless dmarc was somehow roaming the streets of Chicago last weekend, but was powerless to stop then due to being hamstrung by an anti-handgun law in an intensely urban area. I doubt that a Cubs fan has that kind of civic pride . . . :wacko:

I can't say what the entire point of the thread is, because I did not start the topic.

What I can say is that the point being made in the first post is that gun control laws demonstrably do not lessen or prevent gun violence. A little bit of research and reading will help you learn this. In fact, Washington DC and Chicago, two of the most restrictive cities in the counrty when it comes to gun control also are two of the largest havens for gun violence.

People that speak out against gun control only want the government to not interfere with their natural right to protect their life and the lives of those around them against an armed aggressor that couldn't give a darn about the law. Up until recently in our country's history this freedom and it's constitutional protection was unquestioned.

What I can say is that the point being made in the first post is that gun control laws demonstrably do not lessen or prevent gun violence. A little bit of research and reading will help you learn this. In fact, Washington DC and Chicago, two of the most restrictive cities in the counrty when it comes to gun control also are two of the largest havens for gun violence.

I'm glad that there is new blood here to argue sense with you people.

I honestly don't even have the strength to try to point out the stupidity in this kind of logic anymore.

On a completely unrelated topic... did you ever notice that parkas and ski masks make it colder out? In places where people never wear them... it's always much warmer than in places where they always use them. I don't know why people won't stop wearing them! Idiots!

Edited by AtomicCEO

I honestly don't even have the strength to try to point out the stupidity in this kind of logic anymore.

On a completely unrelated topic... did you ever notice that parkas and ski masks make it colder out? In places where people never wear them... it's always much warmer than in places where they always use them. I don't know why people won't stop wearing them! Idiots!

This is your problem here: I am not presenting logic. Crime statistics clearly back up what I am saying. You can be weary and say dumb stuff about parkas and masks all night, but that doesn't change the variance in urban crime rates and how those variances match up with local gun control laws.

well you know, there IS relevant empirical evidence out there. lots of places, in the US and throughout the world, have changed their gun laws at various times to make them either more or less restrictive. what's been the result? have stricter gun laws ever resulted in a significant decrease in gun violence?

well you know, there IS relevant empirical evidence out there. lots of places, in the US and throughout the world, have changed their gun laws at various times to make them either more or less restrictive. what's been the result? have stricter gun laws ever resulted in a significant decrease in gun violence?

More importantly, have they resulted in a decrease in violent crime overall, or in homicide rates. The answer is no. Generally these things are on the uptick in high gun control areas.

This is your problem here: I am not presenting logic. Crime statistics clearly back up what I am saying. You can be weary and say dumb stuff about parkas and masks all night, but that doesn't change the variance in urban crime rates and how those variances match up with local gun control laws.

Numbers can be manipulated to prove almost anything.

I was looking for something to answer my own question, " have stricter gun laws ever resulted in a significant decrease in gun violence?" found an interesting (though several years old) article about gun laws in england here

The illusion that the English government had protected its citizens by disarming them seemed credible because few realized the country had an astonishingly low level of armed crime even before guns were restricted. A government study for the years 1890-92, for example, found only three handgun homicides, an average of one a year, in a population of 30 million. In 1904 there were only four armed robberies in London, then the largest city in the world. A hundred years and many gun laws later, the BBC reported that England's firearms restrictions "seem to have had little impact in the criminal underworld." Guns are virtually outlawed, and, as the old slogan predicted, only outlaws have guns. Worse, they are increasingly ready to use them.

Nearly five centuries of growing civility ended in 1954. Violent crime has been climbing ever since. Last December, London's Evening Standard reported that armed crime, with banned handguns the weapon of choice, was "rocketing." In the two years following the 1997 handgun ban, the use of handguns in crime rose by 40 percent, and the upward trend has continued. From April to November 2001, the number of people robbed at gunpoint in London rose 53 percent.

Gun crime is just part of an increasingly lawless environment. From 1991 to 1995, crimes against the person in England's inner cities increased 91 percent. And in the four years from 1997 to 2001, the rate of violent crime more than doubled. Your chances of being mugged in London are now six times greater than in New York. England's rates of assault, robbery, and burglary are far higher than America's, and 53 percent of English burglaries occur while occupants are at home, compared with 13 percent in the U.S., where burglars admit to fearing armed homeowners more than the police. In a United Nations study of crime in 18 developed nations published in July, England and Wales led the Western world's crime league, with nearly 55 crimes per 100 people.

What are the demographics of London to New York, and England to America? They must be similar before any kind of meaningful comparison can be made.

no two places are exactly the same, that's why you compare the same place before and after they changed their gun laws. that's the point of the article, really.

In the two years following the 1997 handgun ban, the use of handguns in crime rose by 40 percent, and the upward trend has continued. From April to November 2001, the number of people robbed at gunpoint in London rose 53 percent.

surely if gun control really works as far as curbing violent crime there would be before/after examples demonstrating as much. but everything I've found, if anything, points to the opposite conclusion.