[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shift wars at the club

whomper

Whomper, this is a privately owned entity? Not a private, member owned country club?

I run a private country club and the member attachment to long term employees that may not be able to execute the job they hoild anymore is one of the biggest headaches to deal with.

Just keep yuour head down, keep doing a great job and ASK for additional responsibility or how you can help. The owners may have wanted to do additional services with their bar operations, but may not have had the right staff to execute it.

Yes. It is a privately owned place. It is a very nice place in North NJ that hosts formal affairs. They have beautiful grounds and just did a really nice renovation. My friend hooked me up big time. They hired me just because I knew him. Someone with my experience would normally not get a job there. I got very lucky in that respect

Went through a similar situation at my new place, just this week. I've been waiting tables at an outdoor patio restaurant/bar since April. It's at a Hilton and overlooks a AA baseball stadium. Pretty sweet place for a dinner actually.

So, the manager hires a basically all-new staff this March since last summer the staff got awful reviews. Of the 15 servers from last year, he kept 3. I'm one of the new servers. So we go through our training and start for real when the baseball season starts. All the new people get basically the same shifts, based on when they were available. The manager openly said it was an audition period to see if he was keeping everyone. Since that point, we've had three guys no-show for consecutive shifts and have been canned, and another 4 just quit. So now we're down to 8 or so servers. I've been doing a good job and have been getting more and more shifts as the days go on. The schedule is only done every 2 weeks, and I'm almost up to full time hours. There's only three of us getting that many shifts, the rest are getting 3 or so a week. Well, Monday I find out one of the other guys no-showed both Friday and Saturday nights (I was off at back to back Dave Matthews shows at Fenway :wacko: ) and the manager comes over to me and says I can have all his shifts if I want them. So in the next 2 weeks I've got 12 shifts. The guy who no-shows comes in to work last night and sees his name crossed out on the schedule and filled in with mine and comes up to me yelling and screaming in front of guests. I just walked away and told him to go talk to John, the manager. About ten minutes later John comes over and says security just threw the guys ass out.

I've found over the years in restaurants that showing up on time, doing your job, and keeping your mouth shut, is pretty much all you have to do to have the managers love you. For some reason reliability in this industry is difficult to find. Some of the servers don't even have phones, either land or cell. So guess who gets called for last minute fill-in shifts?

1) I don't need to repeat what others have said, Whomp, nothing you need to worry about but being cool to customers and making drinks. In this industry, the most popular employee among both management and staff is the dude who stays below the cliquey fray.

2) Darin, the only thing that would have me concerned is the fact that 3 people all decided to quit in rapid succession. However, the waiter who felt slighted because he didn't get the nod is out of line. The owner needs to get through the night and was already going to have two people doing jobs they weren't used to. Why make it worse? Gee, maybe the waiter could have bartended, the head cook could have waited tables, and you could have cooked.

Those old guys would have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids.

+1 :wacko:

Don't worry, if old people stopped biatchin' about work, they'd move on to something else. Trust me. Old people looooove to complain about everything.

This is why they invented Social Security. Otherwise, you'd have to work with old people forever. They get so ornery once they think they know everything.

I get tired of showing them where the power button is on their computer every day so they can stare at whatever screen saver is installed.

+1 :wacko:

Don't worry, if old people stopped biatchin' about work, they'd move on to something else. Trust me. Old people looooove to complain about everything.

This is why they invented Social Security. Otherwise, you'd have to work with old people forever. They get so ornery once they think they know everything.

I get tired of showing them where the power button is on their computer every day so they can stare at whatever screen saver is installed.

:D So this is there you get the material for your geezer impersonations?

2) Darin, the only thing that would have me concerned is the fact that 3 people all decided to quit in rapid succession. However, the waiter who felt slighted because he didn't get the nod is out of line. The owner needs to get through the night and was already going to have two people doing jobs they weren't used to. Why make it worse? Gee, maybe the waiter could have bartended, the head cook could have waited tables, and you could have cooked.

I think I was pretty clear. The only person that quit as a result of me bartending versus the server kid was.... the server kid.

The bartender/bar manager quit because he was only scheduled for two shifts the first week of his "two week notice" period. He was subsequently fired on-spot for talking shiznit to the owner as a result of that. Then, the second-in-line bartender, who was set to work that night, quit. That's why I had to bartend in the first place. And it was only one person doing something they weren't used to; me. And why in God's name would they have the waiter bartend, the head cook wait tables and me cook food when the simple solution was to let me, a somewhat experienced bartender, take the shift? I'm only the delivery driver. On some nights, I get NO deliveries. In fact, that night, it ended up there was only one delivery. So, it all worked out.... for everyone but the whiney little ex-server -- who, by the way, was a no-show/no-call for his shift on Memorial Day 'cuz he was drunk on the lake. :wacko:

.... for everyone but the whiney little ex-server -- who, by the way, was a no-show/no-call for his shift on Memorial Day 'cuz he was drunk on the lake. :D

so the "best" server they have had was a whiny biatch who no-called, no-showed to a recent shift??? Sounds like a great place to work. :wacko:

Edited by wiegie

so the "best" server they have had was a whiny biatch who no-called, no-showed to a recent shift??? Sounds like a great place to work. :wacko:

It's a great place to work, if you work as a delivery driver and keep your mouth shut and become virtually-instant buddies with all the managers that just so happen to be around your age. :D

I think I was pretty clear. The only person that quit as a result of me bartending versus the server kid was.... the server kid.

The bartender/bar manager quit because he was only scheduled for two shifts the first week of his "two week notice" period. He was subsequently fired on-spot for talking shiznit to the owner as a result of that. Then, the second-in-line bartender, who was set to work that night, quit. That's why I had to bartend in the first place. And it was only one person doing something they weren't used to; me. And why in God's name would they have the waiter bartend, the head cook wait tables and me cook food when the simple solution was to let me, a somewhat experienced bartender, take the shift? I'm only the delivery driver. On some nights, I get NO deliveries. In fact, that night, it ended up there was only one delivery. So, it all worked out.... for everyone but the whiney little ex-server -- who, by the way, was a no-show/no-call for his shift on Memorial Day 'cuz he was drunk on the lake. :wacko:

I understand specifically why everyone quit. First guy makes total sense, though I also completely understand from the owners perspective to work a guy who's given notice as little as possible. In fact, unless I'm on very, very good terms with an employee and feel they have a good work ethic, I'm often inclined to say that they don't have to work out their notice if they don't want to. Some restaurants, in fact, tell employees when they hire them that they don't want notice and expect the day you quit to be your last day. That's a bit extreme as a hard-fast rule but I can realize why.

However, the other guy quitting right behind him and the waiter quitting because he got skipped one shift tell me that the moral level isn't all that high in general. That's two full-time employees both walking out over relatively minor issues.

And I specifically did the whole cook wait tables thing to illustrate a point. That the owner was trying to have as few people doing new jobs as possible. Regardless of whether he went with you or the waiter, he was going to have a green bartender (at very least, out of practice). He'd only be compounding the issue by taking his strongest waiter off the floor as well.

Take advantage of it. Stay above the fray and just do the job. Also remember that, for humility's sake, someday, you'll be the one they're ousting.

Edited by godtomsatan

Take advantage of it. Stay above the fray and just do the job. Also remember that, for humility's sake, someday, you'll be the one they're ousting.

I thought of that already 100 %. Very true

And yet, that is exactly what ended up happening anyway.

Well, based on what we're hearing, that might not be saying much.

Again, however, it's hard to think that everything is otherwise fine when one guy quits because someone else did and another because he wanted to become a bartender and someone else got the gig instead, especially just for a night. When I've had people quit because of something like that, well let's just say that wasn't all there was to it.

Again, however, it's hard to think that everything is otherwise fine when one guy quits because someone else did and another because he wanted to become a bartender and someone else got the gig instead, especially just for a night. When I've had people quit because of something like that, well let's just say that wasn't all there was to it.

no doubt about that--no wonder Darin fits right in with the momofuçktard owners and managers.

:oldjohnelwaygrin:

And why in God's name would they have the waiter bartend, the head cook wait tables and me cook food when the simple solution was to let me, a somewhat experienced bartender, take the shift?

Dude, it's a wings joint. You are not 'bartending', you are just a beer bitsch. :wacko:

I worked in a private, no cash club in ponte vedra beach on the ocean side across the street from TPC Sawgrass, wear the tux end everything. We made massive coin doing gigs, and usually got drunk as hell in the meantime. Was a fun time for sure.

Private wedding at the beach, 5 open bars, 2 by the pool, two by the dining/reception room, one lonely one on the beach... what rich people in formals want to walk around on the sand? None. So me, a keg, 300 beers and a full bar just sit there and get schit faced while making a couple hundred.

Oh good times.