[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The realities of a college education

Perchoutofwater

As the author is a professor of poli-sci, should he not be working actively to alter the education system which he lambastes? Last time I checked, a degree in political science was just as useful as a degree in lesbian poetry. I would truly never consider funding my children to get a degree in poli-sci or literature unless they strove to be a professor.

I will say that the education I received in my first two years of college far exceeded anything I learned in high school. However, I have a couple degrees in engineering, so apparently the hard sciences are the exception to the rule.

I will say that the education I received in my first two years of college far exceeded anything I learned in high school. However, I have a couple degrees in engineering, so apparently the hard sciences are the exception to the rule.

The first of my three physics classes and the first two math classes I took in college were easier than the physics and calculus classes I took in high school. After that it got a little harder. The literature, psych, etc... classes were a joke. I'm still mad that the "Death and Dying" class was full and I was forced to take "Struggles Of An African American Single Mother In A Caucasian Male' s World" for my required keystone class. Let me tell you, I've really used that class.

The first of my three physics classes and the first two math classes I took in college were easier than the physics and calculus classes I took in high school. After that it got a little harder. The literature, psych, etc... classes were a joke. I'm still mad that the "Death and Dying" class was full and I was forced to take "Struggles Of An African American Single Mother In A Caucasian Male' s World" for my required keystone class. Let me tell you, I've really used that class.

I hope you're joking. We never had classes offered on "death and dying" or anything to do with moms. Our outside-engineering classes were management, economics, organizational behavior and psychology or physiology.

Physics was the weeding out class for my school. We went from 40 mechE students down to 9 in 3 semesters. There were a ton of 5 year engineering degrees because of that class. I was VERY happy to have gotten C's in that class.

I hope you're joking. We never had classes offered on "death and dying" or anything to do with moms. Our outside-engineering classes were management, economics, organizational behavior and psychology or physiology.

Physics was the weeding out class for my school. We went from 40 mechE students down to 9 in 3 semesters. There were a ton of 5 year engineering degrees because of that class. I was VERY happy to have gotten C's in that class.

So, uh, what do you "engineer" now-a-days? Because I'd like to make a mental note to stay away from them. :wacko:

:D

My oldest daughter teaches political science at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She married an electrical engineer who works for Boeing. They have a complete perspective on the value of their college educations. She will NEVER make the money he makes. Something about the REAL world putting its money where it means the most.

i remember my 1st year...took my entrance exams and got 45/45 on the English one(1st to ever do that in school history) and 24/25 on math...algebra whatever was one of my classes that 1st semester and I went to ONE class and it felt like a kindergarten class to me....went to see my counselor or whatever they were called and they gave me an advanced math test(which I should have been given in the 1st place) and I got 18/20 on it and tested into Calculus but there were no available Calc classes that semester so I took that algebra class as a credit by exam or whatever...basically at the end of the semester you take a test and pass you get the credits....fail you get no credits....they give you study materials and an outline to follow to prepare you for the test during the semester...well I opened up the study material the night before the test and glanced it over...took the test the next day and passed...it truly was wasted money

oh and my sociology prof was asian and had a hugh accent...so bad he tried to write out on the chalk board how he pronounced things...i truly couldnt understand him...next class i brought a voice recorder....guess everyone else couldnt understand him either because the majority had recorders...well he said he would not allow the recorders so we couldnt make fun of him :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

As the author is a professor of poli-sci, should he not be working actively to alter the education system which he lambastes? Last time I checked, a degree in political science was just as useful as a degree in lesbian poetry. I would truly never consider funding my children to get a degree in poli-sci or literature unless they strove to be a professor.

unless you are going into a specific field like engineering- while safe, is fairly limited on salary potential, the type of degree doesn't mean chit- just doing the work to get it is what matters

Most of friends that make the most loot work in an entirely different field than what they majored in - whether it be sales, financial services, biz dev, software, whatever

my 2 cents

I wish I was joking. They had what the called capstone classes, and everyone had to take two of them. They were utter B.S. I loved physics classes. Of all that classes I took, they were by far my favorite. I've often thought that when my kids are grown and I've paid off their education and weddings, that I might go into semi-retirement, and teach physics at the local high school.

I can back Perch up on this. My degrees are in Accounting and Finance. I had to take at least two classes I remember that were supposed to put out "more rounded" students. I'll never forget the look on everyone's face when I looked at the syllabus for one class the day we were discussing the environment and brought in a bunch of material to dispute stuff. :D Ticked folks off that day... :wacko:

I was required to take 4 upper-level "Cross Cultural" courses before I could complete my degree. Thought it was a big waste of time.. What the hell does the Koran know about Fantasy Football

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Funny thing is that I took a three-semester "Honors Humanities" course load (4hrs / semester for three semesters).

It was team taught (each prof was in each class, 1hr / day, 4 days / week for three semesters) by a history prof, literature prof, art history prof and theology prof. It was the best non-Finance class I took in college (and was better than many of my finance stuff; if I could have had a second helping of it, I would have). There were like 24 kids in the class, too ... 6:1 prof/student ratio ...

Good liberal arts taught by very good professors is a very good idea. Problem is that most good professors are not accessable by the majority of students early enough in their college careers to really make much difference. I was fortunate in that the four-prof team-taught class was taught by profs who'd routinely win various teach awards on campus for being really really good at what they did.

As an aside, I've often wished I would have taken the time to get a second minor in philosophy (other minor is in history) to go with the finance major.

well, I am a big believer in a liberal arts education for its own sake. I majored in history, which is about as broad and generic as you can get. took classes in literature, philosophy, political science, economics, art history, astrophysics, chemistry, music history, religious studies, in addition to my major requirements. yeah, there were a couple bonehead core requirements (don't rememeber much I learned in my african history class, but at one point long ago I knew every country in africa and its capitol), and a fair number of teachers who were stupid, closed-minded and intolerant ideologues. I don't use hardly any of it in my job, but I wouldn't trade it.

My oldest daughter teaches political science at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She married an electrical engineer who works for Boeing. They have a complete perspective on the value of their college educations. She will NEVER make the money he makes. Something about the REAL world putting its money where it means the most.

I would venture to guess that a lot of the difference would go away if you calculated their wages by the hour.

Most of friends that make the most loot work in an entirely different field than what they majored in - whether it be sales, financial services, biz dev, software, whatever

Understood. My brother has a degree in zoology and works in the banking system. His bonuses are more than my annual salary. He has been trying to lure me there with a 3x increase in pay, but I love what I do. Fortunately, happiness /= money.

I can back Perch up on this. My degrees are in Accounting and Finance. I had to take at least two classes I remember that were supposed to put out "more rounded" students. I'll never forget the look on everyone's face when I looked at the syllabus for one class the day we were discussing the environment and brought in a bunch of material to dispute stuff. :D Ticked folks off that day... :wacko:

:DOne of my favorite college experiences was making a sociology professor get so angry he cried while debating gun control.

I actually like the idea of rounding out a person's education. The problems come when "education" is replaced with "indocrineization." Politics rule far too many classrooms. I had an honors physics professor passionately argue that the world would be out of oil by the year 2000 - in the worst case. I have no problem with a person being passionate about a cause - this guy did not own a car and was fighting the city because he incorporated a number of energy saving features into his home that did not meet local covenants. He stands supreme in my mind as an example of how "scientists" are sometimes swayed from their craft by politics and new age religion. This guy was brilliant and clueless all at the same time.