[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Iran protests

DMD

It is fascinating to me to see Iran apparently teetering on a civil war and odd to feel sympathy towards the Iranian people.

But what is earth-shattering to me is that we are witnessing history and a fundamental change in the world. No longer can a government shut down all sources of media from the world. Iran tried - Twitter has become the main source of info, along with other internet resouces. From the start of time up until about now, dictators could silence their country and have absolute control. That is no longer possible. I know that Iran shut down or slowed down access to the internet, barred all foreign correspondents and controlled their radio and TV. But they cannot stop guys recording video from their cell phones and mailing it out of the country.

It's a change in the world for the good. And a fundamental change in how governments can expect to get away with things.

There is a video on youtube of a young woman who was shot in the chest and you litterally watch her die - eyes roll back in the head and then blood streams from her mouth and nose because they are holding their hands over her chest wound. Just cannot get that picture out of my head and I will not link to it because it is so disturbing to me.

The world is changing and it isn't pretty.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a difference between the people and the government. About 70% are young and don't remember the revolution or the Iran/Iraq war.

I've been watching too.

Obama has been right in being cautious in what he says. In 1983 10 Bahai sunday school teachers were arrested because they believed in the wrong religion. President Reagan spoke up about it and we became the target. The 10 were hanged when they wouldn't go back to Islam. It can be a brutal country.

I hope they take control of their country and become a real democracy.

In Iran all the candidates have to be approved before they can run. None are true reformers, but the people could demand change.

EDIT

I forgot that in 89 George HW Bush was very careful in what he said regarding Eastern Europe. You don't want to allow the Ayatollah's to say the protesters are doing what America wants. That would result in a crackdown.

These people are very nationalistic and need to solve their own problems.

Everyone knows we are on the side of the protesters. Shouting it is just scoring political points.

I decided to move my other post to keep this about Iran and the protests.

Edited by Randall

Some friends and I were talking last weekend, and you are spot on Randall. If the country comes out for a record turn out vote, and 40% of them want reform, that is more than ever before. No matter what the supreme leader says, when that many people want "reform" they will continue to strive for it.

I am surprised that this is getting through in Iran, yet is still completely blocked out in North Korea.

There are a lot of educated young in Iran that probably know how to get around the controls. It would be nice if he same was true in Darfur and North Korea.

And following from my previous discussion with Sky:

The Iranian leadership may be an evil regime, but after watching these protests and realizing that many/most want the same basic freedoms we have, how does anyone advocate killing all of these people with nuclear strikes?

I just don't think it is as simple or black and white as it is sometimes portrayed.

This is interesting (from the Wa Post)

Also Sunday, state-run news media reported the arrest of the eldest daughter and four other relatives of former president Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a Athenae Muslim cleric who heads two powerful groups in Iran's theocratic governing system. Rafsanjani has emerged as a strong critic of Ahmadinejad.

The whereabouts of Rafsanjani himself were unknown. Members of the pro-government Basij militia is asking for his daughter, Faezeh, who used to run a magazine promoting women's rights and who has supported Mousavi, and other members of the family to be put on trial for corruption.

Mousavi made no public appearances Sunday and there were growing fears among his supporters that he could be arrested.

There are a lot of educated young in Iran that probably know how to get around the controls. It would be nice if he same was true in Darfur and North Korea.

Koreans are a big force in PC gaming, so I'm sure they can.

Is it really that difficult to understand that people who are the best in the world at certain PC games would be able to get a computer past firewalls/blocked ports?

You do understand there are two Koreas?

It is fascinating to me to see Iran apparently teetering on a civil war and odd to feel sympathy towards the Iranian people.

But what is earth-shattering to me is that we are witnessing history and a fundamental change in the world. No longer can a government shut down all sources of media from the world. Iran tried - Twitter has become the main source of info, along with other internet resouces. From the start of time up until about now, dictators could silence their country and have absolute control. That is no longer possible. I know that Iran shut down or slowed down access to the internet, barred all foreign correspondents and controlled their radio and TV. But they cannot stop guys recording video from their cell phones and mailing it out of the country.

It's a change in the world for the good. And a fundamental change in how governments can expect to get away with things.

There is a video on youtube of a young woman who was shot in the chest and you litterally watch her die - eyes roll back in the head and then blood streams from her mouth and nose because they are holding their hands over her chest wound. Just cannot get that picture out of my head and I will not link to it because it is so disturbing to me.

They have now shown that video unedited on CNN. I agree it is disturbing!

Neda.

I'm worried about the traceability of all of these uploads, should the hard-liners crack down. It might seem like the equivalent of putting a flyer on a post and walking away, but you can bet that each upload has a trail and the authorities will be able to trace much of it should they choose.

I'm worried about the traceability of all of these uploads, should the hard-liners crack down. It might seem like the equivalent of putting a flyer on a post and walking away, but you can bet that each upload has a trail and the authorities will be able to trace much of it should they choose.

The people, mostly younger, have more guts than many of us have ever been forced to have. It seems to me that they are going to do whatever they can to get the word out to the rest of the world.

I wonder how long they will be able to keep it up. I am guessing the providers will quickly be shut down and word will slowly trickle out from there.

The people, mostly younger, have more guts than many of us have ever been forced to have. It seems to me that they are going to do whatever they can to get the word out to the rest of the world.

I wonder how long they will be able to keep it up. I am guessing the providers will quickly be shut down and word will slowly trickle out from there.

Many on twitter outide Iran are saying they are from Tehran and CNN aren't using user names so that could help. These guys are gunning protesters down from rooftops and breaking into houses at night to arrest leaders.

It may not help but these guys are showing the world what cowards they are. Hopefully decent Iranians will fight back.

This Ayatollah is a man of God? What a joke.

Wow...

Iran's election authority has rejected claims of voting irregularities by a defeated presidential candidate, while acknowledging that the number of ballots cast in dozens cities exceeded the number of eligible voters in those areas, state-run TV reported Monday

Unbelieveable. I wonder if they actually counted anything there?

Wow...

Unbelieveable. I wonder if they actually counted anything there?

All the ballots were paper ballots and to count them all in 3 hours was deemed impossible. Groups have analyzed the results and in the home towns of the candidates they got 3-10% of the vote. This election was a sham.

Instead of shooting girls from rooftops maybe they could have counted all the votes.

Quoting then (not-yet-Ayatollah) Hojatol-Islam Seyed Ali Khamanei, the current Supreme Leader at a speech in Qom: When illiteracy, poverty, hunger, injustice, and inequality have been uprooted, the Revolution has borne fruit.

The Shah’s sin was that he used to say whatever I say [goes], not what the nation says. Today anyone who repeats this behavior, it not acceptable; he is condemnable.”

“Once illiteracy, poverty, hunger, oppression and inequality are wiped away from society, the revolution will have been successful.”

you know, we actually had a pretty good thread going about this but it seems to have been deleted :wacko:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the average Iranian is allowed to own a gun? As the people of Iran protest this obviously fraudulent election, I've noticed protesters throwing rocks at armed security fores, and starting fires. I have not seen any protesters that have guns, nor have I heard of any state officials being shot. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Iran has gun control, and how tight the restrictions are if they do. I find it hard to believe these protesters wouldn't be bringing their arms to bear if they had arms.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the average Iranian is allowed to own a gun? As the people of Iran protest this obviously fraudulent election, I've noticed protesters throwing rocks at armed security fores, and starting fires. I have not seen any protesters that have guns, nor have I heard of any state officials being shot. I was just wondering if anyone knows if Iran has gun control, and how tight the restrictions are if they do. I find it hard to believe these protesters wouldn't be bringing their arms to bear if they had arms.

An armed uprising against better weapons and training?

If they did it would probably be bloodier.That is probaby what the government would like.

The motorcycle militia have over a million members and probably more powerful weapons. Then there are the police and army plus the Republican Guard. Guns didn't help the Iraqis when Saddam was in power.

I think they're trying a Martin Luther King/Ghandi civil disobedience campaign. They are making the government look pretty brutal and that won't help their economy or the leaders in the future.

An armed uprising against better weapons and training?

If they did it would probably be bloodier.That is probaby what the government would like.

The motorcycle militia have over a million members and probably more powerful weapons. Then there are the police and army plus the Republican Guard. Guns didn't help the Iraqis when Saddam was in power.

I think they're trying a Martin Luther King/Ghandi civil disobedience campaign. They are making the government look pretty brutal and that won't help their economy or the leaders in the future.

It's happened numerous times successfully, even in the 20th century.