[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toddler Car Seats

Brentastic

I'm going to have a problem with this for my grandson. He's only 9 (going on 10) months and he just weighed in at over 27 lbs. yesterday. I thought it was rear facing for the first year not four years, but the two year posted above sounds like it could be true. There's no way that a big kid could or should be stuffed into a rear facing seat when their feet have no place to go. I would love to be able to have the grandson continue to sit rear facing for as long as he's able. I hope that is at least until he's a year old.

Btw, I've looked at all the car seats at all the big box stores and some of them have a big variance in size limits.

to clarify....the suggested bare MINIMUM you keep them rear-facing is one year AND 20 lbs. the reason it has two components....it's a strength thing, they figure the neck muscles are strong enough only when the kid is big enough AND old enough. so 10 months and 27 pounds, you'd be going against even the minimum recommendations to turn him around.

now, rear-facing is safer in a serious (head-on) accident. it's safer for 1 year-olds, 2 year-olds, 4 year-olds....and probably for 30 year-olds as well. but at some point you run up against practicality and the utility of diminishing returns. the seats aren't designed to go past 30-35 pounds rear-facing, and of course there is nowhere to put their growing legs. so 2 years or so is probably a good, reasonable target that takes everything into account.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+ bajillion

This isn't about what's comofortable or what the kid wants or what's practical - it's about saving your child's life and/or preventing serious injury should you get in an accident. There's no length I won't go to obtain optimal safety with my child!

well, optimal safety would be not taking them out on the road at all.

just sayin'....

For y'all saying the kids don't like it... it's not about like, it's about safety. Rear-facing is more dangerous for the legs, but safer for the spine... pick one. If the kid doesn't like being alone, staring at nothing, suck it up and put a parent in the backseat instead of the front passenger seat.

Get off your high-horse opie, would YOU want to ride with your legs cramped up unable to extend them for an hour? What about a longer trip?

I came home from Texas (Dad was in the military) on a blanket in the car seat between the two. If you want absolute safety then you need to wrap your kid in bubble wrap and never let them do anything. I've said for years now that a male grown to adulthood without a broken bone hasn't had a proper childhood at all.

So back on topic - can anyone help me find a brand that has rear-facing for over 20lbs?

The following models all have above average height and/or weight limits for rear-facing use. These may allow children to face the rear for safety longer than many other models. Also listed are the rear-facing weight limits according to the manufacturer. Most of these models are taller than average, with the possible exception of the Cosco Scenera that is listed primarily as a value option. Please verify these yourself in case of errors. Please note that nearly all convertibles can be used for extended rear-facing beyond 20 pounds and models not listed may have ratings similar to the examples below.

Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard/Advocate (33 or 35 lbs)

Learning Curve / Compass True Fit (35 lbs)

Cosco Alpha Omega Elite (35 lbs)

Sunshine Kids Radian (65, 80 or XT) (35 lbs)

Graco MyRide 65 (40 lbs)

Evenflo Triumph Advance (35lbs)

Evenflo Titan Elite (35 lbs)

Cosco Scenera (35 lbs)

What your family did with you when you were a baby was acceptable back then. Also, I suspect it wasn't actually a car, but a horse-and-buggy old man.

That's part of the point - if you guys want "optimal safety" then you need to put the kid in bubble wrap, only feed him optimally, never let him ride a bike, skates or scooter, and God forbid he ever gets near a swimming pool.

The point is, there IS a line to draw somewhere, and we ALL draw it in different places. There are advantages either way. Again I say, get off yer high horse and quit looking down your nose because some of us don't worry like a jewish grandmother about every little thing.

BTW, I'm 36, and it was a 63.5 Ford Galaxy with a 390/4-spd.

Interesting that the American Academy of Pediatrics is behind the times :wacko:

AAP 2009 Updated Guidelines

I think its overkill....at some point, you have to make decisions in life as to safety vs. comfort/common sense. My kids would be protected from strangers much better if I never let them leave the house. They'd be protected from car accidents if I never let in the car at all. Their teeth would be better protected if they never once at anything with sugar. They'd be better rested and healthier if hey slept 12 hours every night. Smarter if they watched zero fun TV and just read.

The list goes on and on.

The following models all have above average height and/or weight limits for rear-facing use. These may allow children to face the rear for safety longer than many other models. Also listed are the rear-facing weight limits according to the manufacturer. Most of these models are taller than average, with the possible exception of the Cosco Scenera that is listed primarily as a value option. Please verify these yourself in case of errors. Please note that nearly all convertibles can be used for extended rear-facing beyond 20 pounds and models not listed may have ratings similar to the examples below.

Britax Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard/Advocate (33 or 35 lbs)

Learning Curve / Compass True Fit (35 lbs)

Cosco Alpha Omega Elite (35 lbs)

Sunshine Kids Radian (65, 80 or XT) (35 lbs)

Graco MyRide 65 (40 lbs)

Evenflo Triumph Advance (35lbs)

Evenflo Titan Elite (35 lbs)

Cosco Scenera (35 lbs)

Thanks, this is very helpful.

That's part of the point - if you guys want "optimal safety" then you need to put the kid in bubble wrap, only feed him optimally, never let him ride a bike, skates or scooter, and God forbid he ever gets near a swimming pool.

The point is, there IS a line to draw somewhere, and we ALL draw it in different places. There are advantages either way. Again I say, get off yer high horse and quit looking down your nose because some of us don't worry like a jewish grandmother about every little thing.

BTW, I'm 36, and it was a 63.5 Ford Galaxy with a 390/4-spd.

I can't see the advantage of letting your child ride in a forward-facing car seat too early. If by chance you get into an accident, the probability of serious neck or spinal injury increases. He's not going to learn anything from that experience. Comparing this to riding bikes or roller skates is apples to oranges. I get your point - but cars are death traps and anything you can do to maximize the safety you should do. You can't go 70mph on rollerskates.

I can't see the advantage of letting your child ride in a forward-facing car seat too early. If by chance you get into an accident, the probability of serious neck or spinal injury increases. He's not going to learn anything from that experience. Comparing this to riding bikes or roller skates is apples to oranges. I get your point - but cars are death traps and anything you can do to maximize the safety you should do. You can't go 70mph on rollerskates.

arent you the guy against stiff penalties for dui's? :wacko:

to clarify....the suggested bare MINIMUM you keep them rear-facing is one year AND 20 lbs. the reason it has two components....it's a strength thing, they figure the neck muscles are strong enough only when the kid is big enough AND old enough. so 10 months and 27 pounds, you'd be going against even the minimum recommendations to turn him around.

I wouldn't even consider having him front facing right now. But I'm a little worried that he will be a young kid that will be front facing in the near future. I'm not sure if the strength thing will be there as it would be if he were a little older. I'm very sure that we will go above and beyond what is needed if my son or wife have any say in it. They do. :wacko:

My kid just turned two yesterday - he's 98% across the board in height and weight so there's no way his 32lb 3 ft frame is fitting in a rear facing seat unless I cram him in there.

:wacko: Little Twiley is diesel . God bless him

wow, you're really uptight today.

I never drew a line in what you or anyone should do. I did imply that those excuses were lame and I still think that. If the kid is bored cuz he's facing backwards, then hook up a DVD player. If he's lonely, then sit there with him. How is that a high-horse attitude?

PS: I was trying to make a joke in my previous post to defuse the situation that you think happened, but whatever.

I'm sorry, I did misread you. It's the sarchasm on the innerwebs. Lemme guess though, you only have one young child though, right?